What's new

New Symptom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I don't normally succumb to dermo but I'm looking a little lizard like today.

But I have suffered for the last couple months with gum and mouth tenderness and a persistent "salty" taste in my mouth. My lips feel slightly... wrinkled, for lack of a better term. I now have a sensitivity to spicy food and hot liquids, which I did not have before.

My wife says I had a similar set of symptoms a little over a year ago, and when I stopped drinking kava it went away. I am, as you might not be surprised of, reluctant to give up my daily shelling! The symptoms have yet to become something unbearable, so I have yet to attempt giving up kava for a while.

Anyone else get "mouth-dermo"?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I don't normally succumb to dermo but I'm looking a little lizard like today.

But I have suffered for the last couple months with gum and mouth tenderness and a persistent "salty" taste in my mouth. My lips feel slightly... wrinkled, for lack of a better term. I now have a sensitivity to spicy food and hot liquids, which I did not have before.

My wife says I had a similar set of symptoms a little over a year ago, and when I stopped drinking kava it went away. I am, as you might not be surprised of, reluctant to give up my daily shelling! The symptoms have yet to become something unbearable, so I have yet to attempt giving up kava for a while.

Anyone else get "mouth-dermo"?
I'm not quite there yet but I notice that keeping hydrated is an ongoing battle I don't always win. Could well be to do with that? No doubt you are drinking plenty of fluids but maybe have another look at your electrolytes?

Not sure about the "mouth-dermo," but I am seeing some symptoms of general dermo these days. I've been drinking more Kava than ever. However, the weather here has forced me into heated rooms, and I'm wondering if my skin isn't just dry.
Get some coconut oil capsules. I forgot to take mine the other day and by the next morning I just felt drier and more flaky. They work.

Jerome

Kava Lover
I'm not quite there yet but I notice that keeping hydrated is an ongoing battle I don't always win. Could well be to do with that? No doubt you are drinking plenty of fluids but maybe have another look at your electrolytes?

Get some coconut oil capsules. I forgot to take mine the other day and by the next morning I just felt drier and more flaky. They work.
Oh I take copious amounts of coconut oil. Several tablespoon fulls a day. We buy it, quite literally, in gallon form, thank you Sam's club.

D

Deleted User01

@Jerome . as you know, I'm not a doctor but I do play one on the kava forums. On sudden dermo, I wonder if the cold weather and using the heater all day long might be the cause? Just for grins, try a vaporizer in the room. When you say mouth tenderness, what exactly does that mean? Now you got me thinking, I got a tooth that is acting up. I'm assuming it is cracked but it's not too bad ... yet. Still no dermo though. But wives have memories like elephants so if she remembers that from the past, and getting off kava helped, she might be right. Us guys don't have memories because we take stuff to deliberately erase them.

Jerome

Kava Lover
@Jerome . as you know, I'm not a doctor but I do play one on the kava forums. On sudden dermo, I wonder if the cold weather and using the heater all day long might be the cause? Just for grins, try a vaporizer in the room. When you say mouth tenderness, what exactly does that mean? Now you got me thinking, I got a tooth that is acting up. I'm assuming it is cracked but it's not too bad ... yet. Still no dermo though. But wives have memories like elephants so if she remembers that from the past, and getting off kava helped, she might be right. Us guys don't have memories because we take stuff to deliberately erase them.
The mouth tenderness is a sensitivity to spicy food and hot liquid. Also, burns like hell to use mouthwash. If I eat hard did like crackers or a crusty end of pizza, it hurts my mouth. Only the soft spots.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Oh and we've only had the heat on for two days this winter, so far!

And the AC is cranking at work. Been one of the warmest winters I can remember. I love it!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've definitely had dermo make my lips dry...and sometimes make those cracks in the corner of your lips but haven't noticed a saltiness or major aversion to spiciness from it.

I have noticed that spiciness seems different during a post-session meal, like my mouth and my stomach both are more sensitive to it. But by the next day, I'm back it. Hot liquids remain fine.

Sometimes when I've let dermo go for a long time, I'll get a spot on a finger or hand that feels like an actual burn...that hot radiating pain feeling, it's not accompanied by a visual mark like you'd normally see from your worst dermo sections. Maybe you have something like that happening in your mouth.

Last edited:

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
A good recipe for an electrolyte drink is 2 Ozs. Aloe Vera Juice , the juice of half a lemon and a 1/3 tsp of sea salt 24 Ozs. water. Seems to work pretty good
for me. Dehydration is more of an issue for me when I'm aluballing than when I blend and gulp. I get the withered finger tips and sand paper like dried skin on them. Coconut oil helps a lot.

D

Deleted User01

@Jerome, I think it is time to take a break. You might google the mouth thing and let us know what can cause that. Is it an allergy, dehydration of the tissues, etc. and what do they recommend. If you know a dentist, they might know.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Sometimes when I've let dermo go for a long time, I'll get a spot on a finger or hand that feels like an actual burn...that hot radiating pain feeling, it's not accompanied by a visual mark like you'd normally see from your worst dermo sections. Maybe you have something like that happening in your mouth.
I've noticed something like this when the dermo is especially bad. Areas on my fingers and hands where its not really pain but a very odd sensation is felt.

I've been dealing with bad dermo for a while and haven't had any issues with mouth sensitivity or sensitivity to spiciness... I eat spicy foods all the time, especially after kava sessions if nausea is light or non existent. I find anything doused in chili powder makes a good chaser.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Yeah I'm a huge fan of spicy food as well. I don't eat anything without chili flakes or hot sauce.
@Jerome, I think it is time to take a break. You might google the mouth thing and let us know what can cause that. Is it an allergy, dehydration of the tissues, etc. and what do they recommend. If you know a dentist, they might know.
I hate going to the dentist! But yeah, I probably should go.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have never had inside the mouth dermo - but definitely my lips. For a while the corners of my lips were really cracked and had to have a constant supply of lip balm/Vaseline to keep them from being painful. It is strange how the effects of dermo seem to move around for me. For a while my hands were really cracked and dry, then my mouth, and the last round was getting styes in my eyes.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
I've noticed my lips get dry as part of dermo. It also seems like I may be more susceptible to mouth ulcers (canker sores)/or cold sores. I don't think the kava causes sores, but the dermo probably keeps them from healing quickly.

D

Deleted User01

Yeah I'm a huge fan of spicy food as well. I don't eat anything without chili flakes or hot sauce.
I hate going to the dentist! But yeah, I probably should go.
I hate it too, but if this tooth gets worse, I'm going. Perhaps it's time to have your teeth cleaned and get your yearly lecture on using a waterpick and flossing. FYI, I just put Sirracha sauce on my vegetable soup with lime. Yummmm ... Diet food that actually tastes good ...
P.S. I was kinda hoping you might know a dentist that would informally tell you, "Well, that's usually caused by the tissues of your mouth doing ..... yada yada. Maybe the father of a student?

Jerome

Kava Lover
I looked a bit at the dreaded WebMD, which I usually avoid for fear of learning I have autoimmune tapeworm cancer tumors with a side of damn-near-deathitis... but a lot of my symptoms point to just chronic dehydration. I don't have any dental pain so to speak... So I'm theorizing that my heavy, nightly, kava consumption... ahh I don't know, I'm just going to cut back for a couple days, maybe limit myself to one potent shell.

When I brew my kava, its strong.... Like, I drink it and my head starts swimming and my eyes go bright red within minutes. Reminds me of strong cannabis.

Status
Not open for further replies.