What's new

New user and getting depression and anxiety

Kiwivet

Kava Curious
So I am using kava to quit alcohol but have found drinking kava has had little effect after three weeks and actually I am anxious and a little depressed during the day. I feel like I am chasing a high that never happens when I am drinking kava. I use about 40 g per night via traditional brew or alubal.

This last few nights I have used alcohol again and feel awful and look exhausted.

I have quit alcohol for weeks and months before and not had these symptoms and feel really good sober but sadly pick alcohol up again when under high stress.

Any ideas?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
So I am using kava to quit alcohol but have found drinking kava has had little effect after three weeks and actually I am anxious and a little depressed during the day. I feel like I am chasing a high that never happens when I am drinking kava. I use about 40 g per night via traditional brew or alubal.

This last few nights I have used alcohol again and feel awful and look exhausted.

I have quit alcohol for weeks and months before and not had these symptoms and feel really good sober but sadly pick alcohol up again when under high stress.

Any ideas?
Try a good balanced kava, like Wow from Nakamal at Home. Alubal works well with it due to relatively fine grind (for a medium grind). And you could boost each shell by adding a little of a very high quality true instant, like Instant Gold from Fiji Vanua. And you can hold the kava in your mouth for about a minute before swallowing. This allows some nice direct action on your brain before the stomach route. Good luck!

Kava Mike

Kava Curious
You may have to try several different varieties until you find one that works for you. Everyone is different. For example, Borongoru does absolutely nothing for me even though it’s very strong for most people. For me, part of the enjoyment is trying new kavas for their effects and taste. Good luck.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
You may find that the situation improves the longer you abstain from alcohol. You can try different use patterns, maybe have just a bit in the morning to sort yourself out and then have a big session at night? I can't really drink kava during the morning and afternoon unless I am at work, for some reason it just doesn't feel positive to me. I drink it at night on both weeknights and weekend nights with very positive effects, but I have had the anxiety especially coming up on heady kava in the morning/afternoon. In the evening my neurochemistry is just a lot more ideal for basically everything. In the morning I often feel like physical shit/tired, depressed, anxious, etc with or without kava. At night my mind and body are in a good place and kava just helps that even more. But that's me.

Kiwivet

Kava Curious
Try a good balanced kava, like Wow from Nakamal at Home. Alubal works well with it due to relatively fine grind (for a medium grind). And you could boost each shell by adding a little of a very high quality true instant, like Instant Gold from Fiji Vanua. And you can hold the kava in your mouth for about a minute before swallowing. This allows some nice direct action on your brain before the stomach route. Good luck!
I am in New Zealand and have only been able to source Fijian kava. One seller sells a Tongan blend but are out of stock. It would be very expensive to ship from the US

Kiwivet

Kava Curious
You may find that the situation improves the longer you abstain from alcohol. You can try different use patterns, maybe have just a bit in the morning to sort yourself out and then have a big session at night? I can't really drink kava during the morning and afternoon unless I am at work, for some reason it just doesn't feel positive to me. I drink it at night on both weeknights and weekend nights with very positive effects, but I have had the anxiety especially coming up on heady kava in the morning/afternoon. In the evening my neurochemistry is just a lot more ideal for basically everything. In the morning I often feel like physical shit/tired, depressed, anxious, etc with or without kava. At night my mind and body are in a good place and kava just helps that even more. But that's me.
I usually feel good once I quit drinking alcohol but on kava I find myself clock watching until I can start drinking. I think my addictive brain is confusing it with alcohol and when I take kava my brain is looking for a high that is not there.
One thing that is great on kava is sleep and waking with no hangover

Kiwivet

Kava Curious
You may have to try several different varieties until you find one that works for you. Everyone is different. For example, Borongoru does absolutely nothing for me even though it’s very strong for most people. For me, part of the enjoyment is trying new kavas for their effects and taste. Good luck.
I haven’t found many types here in New Zealand…..mainly Fijian

Kiwivet

Kava Curious
I have ordered WOW as suggested and three others to try. It is much more expensive from the states but if I find a blend that suits me better then it is worth paying extra

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Hi, as others have kindly mentioned, we are based right here in Aotearoa :) If you happen to be in Auckland, feel free to visit our partner kava bar, the Four Shells Kava Lounge for a relaxing kava experience :)