What's new

New Vendor - Pu'u O Hoku Ranch

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Maybe next Pu'u O Hoku can announce a Hawaiian 'Awa Retreat with fresh 'awa beverage preparation and nightly 'awa drinking.
Hikes around farm, etc. Could be educational for a group from the US Mainland or elsewhere.
Not likely to happen with Covid 19 for now but maybe this could be something to plan on eventually.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Awesome! I've been waiting so long for kava from this farm, heard a lot of great things about it. Trouble is we're in the middle of a fiery heat wave right now in California. And who the heck knows what the post office is up to with timely deliveries. Will my order arrive even slightly frozen or would I run the risk of it defrosting beyond saving.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Awesome! I've been waiting so long for kava from this farm, heard a lot of great things about it. Trouble is we're in the middle of a fiery heat wave right now in California. And who the heck knows what the post office is up to with timely deliveries. Will my order arrive even slightly frozen or would I run the risk of it defrosting beyond saving.
There are other options when one has time sensitive shipments

Pu'u O Hoku Ranch

Kaunakakai Hawai'i
Kava Vendor
Maybe next Pu'u O Hoku can announce a Hawaiian 'Awa Retreat with fresh 'awa beverage preparation and nightly 'awa drinking.
Hikes around farm, etc. Could be educational for a group from the US Mainland or elsewhere.
Not likely to happen with Covid 19 for now but maybe this could be something to plan on eventually.
Absolutley!! That would be incredible. We have had a few 'Awa groups but an 'awa retreat would be awesome, time to plan for next year..

Pu'u O Hoku Ranch

Kaunakakai Hawai'i
Kava Vendor
@kilakila Mahalo for your kind words! We ship via FedEx priority overnight, unless the roads are closed in your area it should arrive in good form!

DrJknows

Kava Curious
I ordered the minimum 5 half pound option. I'll report back on how well the refrigerated shipping goes to the sweltering east coast. Will let you all know on the quality of the varieties I get too.
I got mine on Thursday (should have been Wed but I auto filled the wrong zip). The kava was fine but the extra day allowed them to unfreeze. They quickly refroze without issue.

The Rahmedel may have been the best the best frozen that I've ever had (my first frozen was from hawaiian kava center ~9 years ago). I still have two more new-to-me varieties to try!

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
I don't see the fresh frozen anymore on RoH...it says for wholesale only. Anyhow, I ordered the fresh frozen from Hawaii. I like that I will be able to sample many varieties with the half-pound. with the pound, it is hard to cut in thirds. with the half-pound, I can make a batch and have some leftover the next day.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I got the Apple bananas and honey today, they are both fantastic. The Banana is especially tasty. Should have ordered more than one..

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Mine is on the way! Anyone care to expand on their experience with this kava? I don't mean to spoil the experience with undue expectations of course but I'd like to hear what the people have to say about it.
Cheers,
Dave

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Mine is on the way! Anyone care to expand on their experience with this kava? I don't mean to spoil the experience with undue expectations of course but I'd like to hear what the people have to say about it.
Cheers,
Dave
Unfortunately these great seeming guys don't ship UK.

But seperately I tried the A Grade Waka from bestfiji earlier 1st time yet. It was pretty strong too, and leaning heavy.

Very different to the AAA Lawena. Much darker grog as well.

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Unfortunately these great seeming guys don't ship UK.

But seperately I tried the A Grade Waka from bestfiji earlier 1st time yet. It was pretty strong too, and leaning heavy.

Very different to the AAA Lawena. Much darker grog as well.
Interesting-is the A Grade fresh frozen? It sounds like you folks have trouble getting kava in the UK, that's lame.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Cheers,
Dave
About a year ago I ordered it when RoH was reselling it. It was the Nene. I purposely did not order over the summer (being on the east coast). It was one of the best kava experiences I have ever had. I describe it as waves of euphoria crashing over me for 2-3 hours, settling into gentle relaxation and great sleep. Not an anxious heady buzz, and not a heavy couch lock. Just pure joy. The packing could have been a bit better and RoH has a terrible tracking system - so you don't get notified when it ships or when it was in your mailbox. That said it arrived cold but not frozen. I tossed it back in the freezer and made up a 1/2lb to 1 gallon of water (I think....) in the blender.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
No I'm pretty sure it is not fresh frozen.

Just regular root powder in a sealed bag as far as my understanding goes.

I have not actually had any difficulty at all myself getting Kava to the UK.

Only one parcel was recently held by customs for 5 weeks then suddenly delivered, no VAT charge either despite full value declaration.

It is more the case, which my above post was gesturing towards, that there ate limited options vs US residents, as many vendors simply don't ship to UK, like Kavatime, GHK, BKH, Rootsofhappiness and many more.

Those who do are very careful and clever to ensure success and no troubles. Gteat guys too bless them all.