What's new

New Vendor - Pu'u O Hoku Ranch

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It's similar to GHK stuff, but the heady and body effects are slightly different because it's fresh. There is an initial rush that's a little bit different for starters. I have never had a frozen kava that gave me jitters. Tends to have more feeling Benhind the eyes too. I have only had 4 frozen varieties before though and it's all been hawaiian

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Cool, I got the variety of 1/2 lb. bags so I'll just have to see for myself. It's interesting the differences between the regional kava types-Hawaiian, Fijian, Vanuatu, etc. Everyone has their preference and kava is so subjective...I get excited though, when people rave about this or that strain/experience, I want to know more! I am learning however that I agree with a heavy kava more than a heady one, but I haven't tried enough to really get a feel for it. Which ends up being all good because there is plenty of cultivars to discover!

Thanks, Cheers and Bula! Today is my Friday..

Dave

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Hanakapi ai and to a lesser extent opihikao (spotted hiwa) are fairly heavy and they have those in stock now.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hanakapi ai and to a lesser extent opihikao (spotted hiwa) are fairly heavy and they have those in stock now.
Yes! I was just going through this series of comments and replies on Puu O Hoku fresh frozen and thinking of recommending 'Opihikao
and Hanakapi'ai! But you already have. In decades of drinking my own, home grown, I'd say these are 2 of my favorites. I'd put 'Opihikao
on equal footing though for my part.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Just got my shipment of honey and apple bananas in. I haven't opened either of these yet but I'm struggling to get over the excitement of the generous freebies Pu'u gave me! I got an extra pack of bananas and two more jars of honey. I had to double check my confirmation to see if I had paid more for more honey but the Ranch was just being very nice. And presumably they are present-tense nice.

@Alia I've wanted to try 'Opihikao! I may need to inquire about it in the near future. If it's anything like Hanakapi'ai, I shouldn't be disappointed with it.

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
707FC5BF-411C-4978-B016-3DB83153DA32.jpeg
Yes! I was just going through this series of comments and replies on Puu O Hoku fresh frozen and thinking of recommending 'Opihikao
and Hanakapi'ai! But you already have. In decades of drinking my own, home grown, I'd say these are 2 of my favorites. I'd put 'Opihikao
on equal footing though for my part.
This will be my first experience with Hawaiian so I’m stoked. This is what’s up today in SD: Bula!

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
My box of kava arrived today! Still frozen! And there appears to be an Isa included . Anyone know anything about this one. Potent? Heady or heavy? Can’t wait to try at least one of them this weekend!
34E11CF1-26FF-43B7-9275-358DDAC0A6E8.jpeg
34E11CF1-26FF-43B7-9275-358DDAC0A6E8.jpeg

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I used a whole bag of the apple bananas (minus a sampling to taste) for my latest batch of banana pudding! I also used some of Pu'u's honey to sweeten the creme anglaise! Hopefully there's enough of a Hawaiian twist to step up this recipe. It's setting right now, so I'll write back to say how it turned out. I did let the creme anglaise get a little hot but it was still pretty runny after filtering it and there was enough to coat it all.
My box of kava arrived today! Still frozen! And there appears to be an Isa included . Anyone know anything about this one. Potent? Heady or heavy? Can’t wait to try at least one of them this weekend!
Isa is a very heavy kava from Papua New Guinea. They grow Isa in Hawaii alongside native kava cultivars. Isa is considered a non-noble variety but many who have tried it say it's safe to drink as long as you don't make it strong. I'm just echoing what I've read here in other threads, so feel free to wait on better input from actual drinkers.

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
I didn’t get Isa in my variety, but It’s all good, smooth and easy to drink. Mellow yet noticeably pleasurable effects. I’m using it sparingly so I haven’t got krunk on it yet. Someone mentioned Rahmadel is good..will keep you all posted.
Cheers and Bula!
Dave

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
The green Isa is so interesting. I know isa smells like pine needles but I was not expecting a stickyness to the kava. I am going to take this on slowwwww.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Had the Rahmedel last night. 1/2 lb blended and strained in about 8 cups of water for the first round. Added back to the blender and blended with another 4 cups for the second round. Tasted like a cucumber water. Absolutely delicious and was a nice heady up beat vibe. Not super heavy. A real treat and definitely worth the experience and price of fresh kava.

Hey if any of you are looking to round out your order. The honey is out of this f'in world. It is truly a gift from the Hawaiian gods. I had all I could do to not just spoon half the jar into my face....

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
The Rahm is superb, cucumber-y and very smooth. The effect is like an infusion of cool Hawaiian breezes flowing over my soul, soothing it, which is nested in a celestial hammock, at peace with all that is. Quite the treat when compared to dry medium grind...it feels balanced leaning heady and I'm hooked!
Cheers and Bula!

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Had the Rahmedel last night. 1/2 lb blended and strained in about 8 cups of water for the first round. Added back to the blender and blended with another 4 cups for the second round. Tasted like a cucumber water. Absolutely delicious and was a nice heady up beat vibe. Not super heavy. A real treat and definitely worth the experience and price of fresh kava.

Hey if any of you are looking to round out your order. The honey is out of this f'in world. It is truly a gift from the Hawaiian gods. I had all I could do to not just spoon half the jar into my face....
Do you believe that those who has an issue with the taste of kava. Would have any easy time with fresh kava?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The effect is like an infusion of cool Hawaiian breezes flowing over my soul, soothing it, which is nested in a celestial hammock, at peace with all that is.
I felt calmer just reading that. What a great explanation.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Absolutely, no comparison. Fresh frozen is literally like drinking cucumber water and the effects are readily felt.
Completely agree. My wife will drink fresh kava and wont come in kitchen when I'm making my standard powdered grog.