What's new

New water-based extract

infraredz

BULA!
I've found a new kava extract for those who are looking to use kava in a more controlled, 'medicinal' sort of way who don't want to buy root and prepare it the ways we usually talk about here. Because of the possibility of acetone and ethanol extracts being more hepatotoxic, this one should quell those who are worried about that.

These are extracted with water, as in the traditional way and are thought to be safer than others. Granted, there are only 50mg of lactones per pill, so one would probably need 2.

Also, there is always the kava candy and Paradise's wonderful C02 extract that are also both very safe and could be a good approach as well.

http://www.standardprocess.com/Products/MediHerb/Kava-Forte

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
VKS extract is also water based, and NAH is as well

from NAH site: "The kava tea that was used to make this product was made using cold water extraction"

the product you mentioned only has 5o mg kavaloactones per pill,
Im not sure how much the bottle costs, but whatever it is it can't be a good deal with such a low concentration of kavalactones

question though,
is there gluthialone in CO2 extracts?

infraredz

BULA!
Ah, well I stand corrected then.

I was posting this more for those who are looking for a more medicinal type of prep and ROA. Most of the studies I'm aware of show that doses as low at 100mg can provide significant anxiolytic effects for some. For those of us here, it would be an awful deal most likely but there are those that just want a simple little pill that has the same beneficial effects.

The question about glutathione I wouldn't know since I'm not familiar with the process they use but, it seems it might decompose at below 200ºC. Depending on the pressure and the temperature, it might decompose although I just did a cursory search and couldn't find anything definitive.

Yvonne

Kava Curious
I am currently taking a water extracted liquid form of Kava by a company called Nutrition Care for medicinal purposes. Each 5 ml teaspoon provides 71.4 mgs of Lactones taken from 714.28 mgs of root. I took 5 teaspoons yesterday over a ten hour period for tension headaches, it was my first time with Kava and I can certainly say that it had an effect.

Medi Herb also make a water extracted liquid form which I haven't tried yet. The only way to purchase either of these products in Australia is by getting a health practitioner of some sort to prescribe it for you. I managed to get both products by phoning up a health food shop, talking with the Naturopath who works there about wanting to try Kava for medicinal purposes and seeing if he would sell it to me for the relief of tension headaches, and he quite simply agreed. As you said above, it is a great alternative for someone like myself who is looking for the medicinal effects of Kava and wants to know exactly how much they are taking as far as the Lactone content, and it does seem to work. I am still trying to find my right dosage, but it looks like the 25 mls that I took yesterday made a great difference.

Just wanted to contribute to the thread and I hope it helps someone.
Yvonne.