What's new

Newb - Just got Kona Kava

Hi all, 

So I'm pretty new to this. I just recently heard about kava and became super interested. I'm looking for something to help in social situations similarly to alcohol without the terrible hangover, and blackout "OMG what happened last night?" moments because i guess I have a tendency to binge drink. Basically I'm looking for euphoria, lessened inhibition, and sexy time - aphrodisiac qualities would be stellar!

I ordered 8oz of Kona Kava root powder, and was super excited to try it last night. I put about 2 TBSP into about 2 cups of water and let it sit for maybe 30 minutes. Then I passed it through my muslin, squeezed out excess, and chugged it. Short of a slight numbness of mouth I really didn't feel anything? Any recommendations to preparation so I can make the most of what I have on hand atm? Should I let it soak overnight maybe would that help any?

Now that I’m doing more research here, I'm finding that Kona Kava isn’t a spectacular supplier, and I'm wondering what your recommendations might be for me. I will def continue to use this batch with my boyfriend and hopefully build a reverse tolerance, but moving forward what are some good, affordable batches to try? Should I consider trying a paste?

Thank you in advance :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello, and welcome to the forums. As you have no doubt discovered, Kona is more interested in profits and advertising than actually providing a quality product. Any of the other suppliers here will give you more bang for your buck than Kona.

I'd try out BulaKavaHouse. Buy a bag of their Boroguru kava. Excellent kava.

http://store.bulakavahouse.com/

Their kavas are excellent and very reasonably priced as well. You will definitely want to start with buying a kilo or two.

On advice on overcoming reverse tolerance. You'll want to consume as much as you can at regular intervals. When I say "as much as you can" anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of kava, to 2 cups of water. Let it soak for half an hour or so, then knead that sucker for about 20 minutes. (This is per person). Be sure you've got a good strainer, such as the fijian from Bula Kava, or Paradisekava.com, or two or three paint type strainers such as Nakamalathome.com sells, and you'll be set.

After you're through the tolerance stage you can cut back a little, but we rarely do. You'll find an amount that you like and you can stick with it forever if you'd like. I've been drinking 55 grams of kava with 1 3/4 cups of water for about 4 or 5 years solid now. Been drinking daily for 7. Kava is wonderful because you remember everything, you're never out of control. Kava doesn't necessarily lower you inhibitions. I would say it lessens your anxiety which in turn causes you to be more likely to try things you wouldn't...so in a way I guess it does, but not in a reckless sense. The euphoria is unique. It's not an addictive euphoria, believe me I've had my day with addictive euphoria to the point of throwing all of my money and my life down the drain (No good). It's a euphoria that leaves you content without wanting. Very calm. It does heighten sensual activities for most, for me personally it completely disinterests me all together, but I've linked my kava usage and my sleep together so tightly that all I want to do when I drink kava is sleep.

I'd say try the extract from Paradise Kava once you get acquainted with kava. It's spectacular, but expensive so wait until you can get the full effects.

Also, if you're looking for an alcohol replacement, look no further than kava. There are quite a few success stories in these forums alone with people who have switched. In fact there are actually suppliers who got into kava just in that fashion. I, myself, have been drinking kava for years to quell my anxiety and help me sleep. I'm a recovering addict, and I can honestly say I drink kava, but I don't crave it. Once you give it the proper go you'll like kava, it's a unique, medicinal, relaxing root.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
First of all, kona is absolute crap. I made that mistake too. Also, you'll need to use more kava, a good ratio is 2 tablespoons kava for every 1 cup of water. I recommend 6 tablespoons and 2-3 cups water. And also you can't just strain it and squeeze out the the remaining liquid, you have to actually sit there and continually squeeze and rub and knead the kava in the liquid for at least 10 min. I would check out stone kava from nakamalathome.com or any kava from bulakavahouse.come

Man I fucked up and bought kona kava too for my first batch. Anybody know if it's even possible to get high off this thing? Maybe if I use the whole damn bag?

Alright so I made a batch with 6 heaping tablespoons of Kona Kava and I was able to feel the smallest buzz. It kind of just felt like taking melatonin and maybe .25mg of xanax.

But I was glad to discover there is potential. I just ordered a lb of boroguru from BKH so I'm excited to feel the difference.

kl.midas

Kava Enthusiast
ryohazuki said:
Alright so I made a batch with 6 heaping tablespoons of Kona Kava and I was able to feel the smallest buzz. It kind of just felt like taking melatonin and maybe .25mg of xanax.

But I was glad to discover there is potential. I just ordered a lb of boroguru from BKH so I'm excited to feel the difference. 
A lot of us made the Kona mistake, me included. One positive though is that it might help you get past your reverse tolerance, so it's not entirely bad. Good choice with the BKH :)