What's new

Newbie here, micro vs instant?

MikeB

I like Mo'i
Hi all, I'm new here and ready to evolve to buying my own kava in bulk and experimenting with it. This will be my first order so I want to get it right :)

I don't want to deal with straining and etc at first, so I saw on the wiki that either "micro" or "instant" is the way to go. Can anyone give a comparison of the two?

- How do the taste and effects compare between the two?
- How do they compare to powdered root?

Also going through some reviews and it looks like many of the "best" strains happen to be non-micronized powder, like Boroguru and Nambawan from Bula Kava House. Is it worth me going with these and ditching the whole micronized/instant concept? Does it make prep a lot more complicated? I kind of just want to pour something in water and mix it with juice and not think about it... :D

Also, any thoughts on "extract?" I saw it listed on the wiki but I don't see a lot of reference to it here on the forums. Instead people seem to be making their own "extract" via this micro syrup concept...

Also, btw, since I haven't seen this mentioned here, I first tried Kava from this "Brooklyn Kava" brand that they have in Whole Foods here in NYC:

The raw "Kava Kava" flavor is basically just pulverized kava root mixed with water - can someone tell me if that's the thing called "grog"? Whatever it is I love it. It has a nice complex earthy taste, which is a nice way of saying that it tastes like a cup of dirt, and also that apparently I like dirt. I think it's made by the same people who make "King Kava" - I think that's the guy who was talking about opening a Kava bar in NYC.

Bula!
Mike

Last edited:

KavaCat

Meow.
I was just asking about instant a couple weeks ago. I have never had a "dud" when it comes to traditional kava, regardless of vendor, and I have tried a few. But definitely have had two complete "dud" kavas, in terms of instant. I was told to buy from GHK (Gourmet Hawaiian Kava) or Kava Kauai, if I wanted an instant. I got some from GHK, and it works just like normal kava. One of my duds was from Bula Kava House, though- so I can't say I recommend their instant.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Mike, welcome to the forums, for my kava the taste is the same with the instant and micronized, for the most part. The only difference is that the instant is finer and is processed when the kava root is fresh and not dried, I dry it after processing and the micronized is processed in a different way and it is a bit more gritty than the instant but it is still not too bad, I actually like the micronized better than the instant. I like the fiber in my diet and it seems that it is stronger than the instant, to me.
The eye of the hurricane in Hawaii is almost here, our power is out and I am on emergency back up, I am nice and calm thanks to my micronized, I had to use the Papa Kea, my personal stash, I do not have enough to sell of that one right now but soon. (y)
If you want to try them both then I would suggest ordering the micronized and I will give you a free sample of the instant.
If you do place an order make sure you remind me to add the free sample and let me know if you have any questions. Aloha from stormy, raining, trees falling Hawaii.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum Mike! Mike, I recommend he Micronized from GHK. First off, he removes the coarse fibers called "Makas" before processing. These fibers are very low in Kavalactones and actually have substances that may upset your stomach. When you buy "fine grind" Kava, some of those fibers can get thru the strainer and make you sick. So fine grind powder is not a good option. The micronized Kava has little or not taste but we still mix it with our favorite juice or Kocktail Mix (frozen concentrate), or even just club soda and lime. Last, if you have trouble with fiber, then just blend and strain the micronized. In this way you are creating a Kava Syrup so to speak. I recommend a second wash in that case and I just posted a Prep Method at the Kava Library that includes a second wash. You will find a ton of recipes for Kava Koctails both here and at the library. The concept behind Kocktails is that you want to create a good tasting Kava Drink so you can sip it and feel it slowly wash over your body.

One more think, I believe that Micronized is stronger than Instant but instant is easily mixed into a kocktail as well. You might want to buy a sampler pack that includes Instant, Micronized, and Powder and compare the three.

B

BulaKavaMan

I was just asking about instant a couple weeks ago. I have never had a "dud" when it comes to traditional kava, regardless of vendor, and I have tried a few. But definitely have had two complete "dud" kavas, in terms of instant. I was told to buy from GHK (Gourmet Hawaiian Kava) or Kava Kauai, if I wanted an instant. I got some from GHK, and it works just like normal kava. One of my duds was from Bula Kava House, though- so I can't say I recommend their instant.
Hmm. Something amiss here. Our instant is constantly one of, if not THE best reviewed instant kavas around. It is also our number one selling product both online and in-house. Don't know what happened with yours, but a "dud" our instant is not. Sorry you didn't get the effects you were looking for.

To answer the original question. I like the flavor of instant better. A good instant is a true aqueous extract of fresh kava. It therefore tastes like fresh, undried kava. You just can't beat that taste. Both instant and micronized "work" so there's not really a right answer there. All that being said, don't discount the enjoyment that comes from making kava. There is something cathartic about the process, and it brings you closer to the culture and history of kava. There's a visceral magic and spirit in this root, and the kneading and squeezing is part of all that.

D

Deleted User01

Well there is no accounting for human body chemistry. I remember that Kapm got no effects from one high Kavain Kava and others were raving about it. KavaKat may just have an immunity to that particular strain. I notice that myself when I tell someone I really like so and so and the other guy says it doesn't do much for him. Too bad Kava is not in the mainstream so researchers could study that.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@MikeB If dirt is the flavor for you, then yeah buddy you've found the winner here. Yes, traditionally strained kava is referred to as grog and it's simply root particles in suspension. The easiest way to a traditional kava session is instant, followed by micronized, followed by traditional squeeze and knead. You can get an equally powerful experience out of all three. I definitely agree with BulaKavaMan, instant usually tastes the most authentically fresh. I feel extracts are in a category of their own. The only real extract that I would recommend on the market today is the CO2 extract made by paradise kava (but don't go off buying a ton of it yet as Adil, the owner, is working on a brand new version that will be more kickin' than anything he's released to-date). Extracts are generally more targeted towards kavain which tends to lend to a more uplifting kava session that has very little sedation that a normal powdered root can give you.

The powdered strains are more commonly highly rated because up until recently micronized kava was something you had to really power through in terms of it's unintended gastro effects. Also micronized kava was a "toss and wash" item, which was also not very friendly. The micronized available today have been specially processed that keep the unintended effects to a minimum.

Oh, and Welcome to the forums!!

MikeB

I like Mo'i
Hello everyone and thank you for your responses!

Chris, I will take you up on your offer and try the micro w/ free instant sample :)

I want to try the same strain to compare the effects. I see that there are three GHK strains that come in both "instant" and "micronized" varieties:

- Mo'i
- Mahakea
- Nene

I was looking for something that might be good to chill out while I work. I was also going to throw a Kava party with some recipes for some friends, so it would be good if we all ended up chilled out and relaxed and happy, but not asleep.

Maybe I'm saying I want something less "sedating" and more "anxiolytic" or "heady," lol.

Does anyone have a recommendation for which of the 3 strains to start with that would fit this description? I went through the reviews and it looks like the Nene is much more sedating, as per @Deleted User01's review so maybe that one's out and it's between Mo'i and Mahakea.

Thank you for the warm welcome and bula!
Mike

BTW hope you're alright with the hurricane too! Stay safe down there :)

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well @MikeB ,
wellcome.jpg
to the Kava Forums. Yes you for sure found the right place. I pesonaly would go for the Micro, mixed with a nice fruit juice if I had the choice. I really enjoy the micronized, and find it very strong. I have ordered the instant a time or 2, but the venders were not very trustwourthy, anyway, I didn't get much out of the instant, could just be me though. Again Welcome, and enjoy some kava. ::happyshell::. Much love. Roaddog....

D

Deleted User01

Remember MikeB, with micronized or even Instant, you can experiment and mix the Kavas together to create your own "chill" recipe. To be truly "chill", you do need some sedation. Just a wee bit. But Mo'i is a heady Kava and one of the most popular in Hawaii. Read the reviews on Mahakea, I think it is more balanced. But once you get your head around it, experiment by mixing them. Good luck and let us know how the Kava Party turns out. To make sure you have a successful party, I'm going to give you a Good Luck Smiley Charm, the Frosty the Zombie Snowman. ::frosty:: I don't give these out to just anyone.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Mike, I would say the Moi or the Mahakea would make you real happy. :hungry: Go ahead and order what you want and I will include the free sample of instant and some other samples. Let me know if you ever have any questions at all. Aloha.

Chris

MikeB

I like Mo'i
Thank you everyone!! I will try the Mo'i. It sounds like exactly what I want :D

Chris I much appreciate the offer for the sample! I will buy the Mo'i micronized and make a note in the order

Thank you to all for the assistance! I'm hooked on this stuff, next I foresee getting obsessed with learning how the different chemotypes work...
Mike

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums. I can't advise you about the micro or instant since I've never tried either one. But sounds like you got some good advice, there's a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly people around here.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Hi Mike, I would say the Moi or the Mahakea would make you real happy. :hungry: Go ahead and order what you want and I will include the free sample of instant and some other samples. Let me know if you ever have any questions at all. Aloha.

Chris
He's got some good kava. I ordered the micronized, and was very pleased. Much love. Roaddog....

Wigman

Kava Enthusiast
Micro is the way to go, dude!

If you're looking for "heady," you won't be disappointed with the Mo'i. I've only had the instant version of that one, but it was a real head ringer.

(The Pana Ewa is super good, too, for more balanced effects.)

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Micro is the way to go, dude!

If you're looking for "heady," you won't be disappointed with the Mo'i. I've only had the instant version of that one, but it was a real head ringer.

(The Pana Ewa is super good, too, for more balanced effects.)
Yes the Pana Ewa will be next purchase. I have heard a lot about it. Much love Roaddog...

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I think instants are a good way to get started. Having tried many, the only two I would recommend are Gourmet Hawaiian Kava and Kava Kauai instants. The rest are too weak to be worth purchasing.

Traditionally prepared from root powder is much more cost effective, in my experience.

KavaCat

Meow.
Hmm. Something amiss here. Our instant is constantly one of, if not THE best reviewed instant kavas around. It is also our number one selling product both online and in-house. Don't know what happened with yours, but a "dud" our instant is not. Sorry you didn't get the effects you were looking for.

To answer the original question. I like the flavor of instant better. A good instant is a true aqueous extract of fresh kava. It therefore tastes like fresh, undried kava. You just can't beat that taste. Both instant and micronized "work" so there's not really a right answer there. All that being said, don't discount the enjoyment that comes from making kava. There is something cathartic about the process, and it brings you closer to the culture and history of kava. There's a visceral magic and spirit in this root, and the kneading and squeezing is part of all that.
I'll give it another try... I still have the tin. No disrespect meant, just had a better experience with GHK's instant, personally. I'm looking forward to trying some Fu'u, when I don't have five different kinds of kava and an empty wallet. (Stupid doctor bill... :confused:)

Update for the rest of the thread, and general discussion: I decided that I was doing nothing that would be impeded by some kava this morning, so I went into my kitchen and decided to do this. I would assume that the instant from BKH was good, and I would put powder into 8 oz of water, teaspoon by teaspoon, until it tasted and seemed to me "like kava". The tin says 2 tsp per 8 oz of water. I had to double that for it to be "like kava" to me, similar to grog. I'll tell you guys how I feel in a bit. But at this rate, if it works like regular kava, we're looking at $2 per shell, instead of $2 per session (4-6 shells). Ow! I had about 5 tsp in 16 oz of water of GHK's Mo'i (I also made it until it was "like kava" since I had had the medium grind) and I wasn't even able to finish it. All of my Mo'i sessions have been... uncomfortable. I couldn't even say what's particularly wrong with it, it just has made me feel good very briefly, and then I feel like ::ooooohhhhz:: that. It's a little weird. Using them in the quantities I've used other kavas has been too strong. I'm going to have to reign it back to a very small amount and work up to see where my happy place is. Since it is a heady kava, I'm fairly certain that I'm just not able to judge when I've had enough based on the body relaxation. I didn't realize how reliant I was on that sensation.

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
@KavaCat , I have also gotten the ::ooooohhhhz:: from to much too fast. That may be part of it. Also doing kava in the day time also makes me feel ::ooooohhhhz::. Just what I have noticed. Much love. Roaddog....