What's new

Newbie here

DefWick

After reading about as much as I could possibly find I decided to make the plunge in to the world of Kava. I ordered Wakacon off of Amazon. I am/was a nightly drinker after work and would have 3-4 IPA's a night, every night. Figured I would make the switch for the health benefits. I was scared at first thinking that I was going to experience the dreaded reverse tolerance. Well, I made 4tbs in 2 cups for the first time and drank one cup and 40 minutes later I finished the other cup. I felt something but nothing really noticeable. I decided to let it go and try again the next day. I mixed 8tbs in 4 cups of water. Immediately drank two cups and sat for about 30 minutes and felt nothing. Threw caution to the wind and chugged the remaining two cups. It was about 3 minutes later I realized this was a mistake.

I don't have reverse tolerance. I didn't kneed it long enough. I slowly got up from the computer, sat on the couch and melted while the world spun around me. My girlfriend thought it was funny. I kind of enjoyed the relaxation but the spins were not okay. Day three, I figured out the sweet spot. This root is AMAZING. I have made the decision to not touch alcohol. This is a suitable replacement which is cheaper then my expensive IPA's ($12 per 6 pack). The community also seems to be so amazing. I finished my 1lbs of Wakacon and now have KWK. I have to say the quality and feel of the KWK Fijian Loa is superior.

Any suggestions as to fairly accessible Kavas that I should dip my toes in to?

Thanks!

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Anything from Kalm with Kava is an excellent choice. Loa Waka is a quintessential "balanced" kava with a bit of both "heavy" and "heady" effects. If you want more of the heavy, sedated, melt-in-the-couch vibe, try Borongoru. For a lighter, more euphoric and upbeat (but still relaxing) experience, try Pouni Ono or the special Samoa.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Mahakea and Papa Kea are awesome and a great way to try out Hawaiian kava, which tends to be a little headier and tastier.