What's new

Newbie here

Blackice71

Kava Curious
Hi, my name is Rick. I am a 49 year old cancer patient. I found Kava recently and am 3 days into using it to quit my alcohol habit. I like that it serves pretty well as an anxiety reducer. I am trying Kalm micronized mixed into a coconut drink. From a health and bodyweight standpoint I am hoping this is better for me than the 5 to 6 beers I drank every night. Anything I should know? Thank you.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi, my name is Rick. I am a 49 year old cancer patient. I found Kava recently and am 3 days into using it to quit my alcohol habit. I like that it serves pretty well as an anxiety reducer. I am trying Kalm micronized mixed into a coconut drink. From a health and bodyweight standpoint I am hoping this is better for me than the 5 to 6 beers I drank every night. Anything I should know? Thank you.
Welcome. You're among friends here in your endeavor.

Kava is far far better than drinking alcohol every night to cope. For body and mind.

If you want to continue on after you've got your footing down, I would suggest picking up a strainer cloth and some medium grind kava, or an aluball system. Medium grind kavas tend to give less side effects such as dry skin and nausea. These are sometimes reported more frequently with micronized than medium grind.

Here's a link to our updated kava powder price spreadsheet.

Blackice71

Kava Curious
Welcome. You're among friends here in your endeavor.

Kava is far far better than drinking alcohol every night to cope. For body and mind.

If you want to continue on after you've got your footing down, I would suggest picking up a strainer cloth and some medium grind kava, or an aluball system. Medium grind kavas tend to give less side effects such as dry skin and nausea. These are sometimes reported more frequently with micronized than medium grind.

Here's a link to our updated kava powder price spreadsheet.
Thank you!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hey Rick - you are in good company. I am about your age and have now been drinking kava for 4-5 years. I find it to be a great substitute for alcohol with minimal side effects. You didn't mention if you are currently on any cancer medications, but you might want to share with your doctor that you are drinking kava. It is possible to have interactions with some medications. I think you will find that while micronized is convenient that most regular users switch to medium grind for a whole host of reasons. Enjoy and welcome aboard.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Kava is probably unsafe with medicines that threaten liver, kidney and cause CNS depression. However, some strains (the more tokic ones with Flavokawain B) have been investigated by cancer researchers.

Kava may alter the metabolism of many drugs, concrete info is necessary. Many cancer drugs, especially the cytostatic ones tend to be toxic.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
Adding to what @Kapmcrunk said, medium grind is cheaper overall than micronized, and, in my opinion, it gives much stronger effects.

When I first started using kava for an alcohol/substance alternative I was using micronized and couldn't quite get the effects I desired, so I switched to medium grind after talking with a few people here. Medium grind has provided me with much stronger effects and eliminated my desire to drink in excess.

Medium grind is more cost effective, the feelings you get last longer, it provides stronger feelings, and there's a large variety of cultivars to choose from. When I used micro, it relaxed me a little and gave me a general sense of well being, but when I switched to medium grind those effects were increased 5x-10x fold and lasted about 2 times as long. Even after the main effects wear off, I even have an "after glow" that lasts the rest of the day! It works far better than any alcohol or benzo. It helps me with my anxiety, depression, ADHD, and my old substance use problems all in one. Welcome to the forum btw!

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Things like hiking, making a bonfire or some simple jobs like splitting firewood, foraging for mushrooms, cooking (as hobby) or preparing kava traditionally are as if therapeutic. The list of these procedures are different for people but I think the common denominator is slow "stone age fun".

Last edited:

Blackice71

Kava Curious
Hey Rick - you are in good company. I am about your age and have now been drinking kava for 4-5 years. I find it to be a great substitute for alcohol with minimal side effects. You didn't mention if you are currently on any cancer medications, but you might want to share with your doctor that you are drinking kava. It is possible to have interactions with some medications. I think you will find that while micronized is convenient that most regular users switch to medium grind for a whole host of reasons. Enjoy and welcome aboard.
Thanks. Not on any cancer drugs at this time, but thanks for the heads up.