What's new

Newbie here

Hi folks, thank you for creating an awesome forum!

I am new at this and I think I am suffering from the dreaded reverse tolerance... but I just wanted to make sure I am processing the kava properly, and perhaps get some tips on making the effect more noticable.

OK, firstly, I used to have a problem with alcohol, but am now 6 months sober... whew, glad thats out of the way.

Im on my second bag of 1/2 pound tikarams kava and here is how I prepare...
use tap hot water
Mix in about 1/4 cup of kava in my blender (I have no electricity, but I found a blender that has a rip cord.. I shit you not!)
Blend for 3-4 mins
pour into a calaco bag
massage until no more liquid
I leave the spent(?) kava in the bag and repeat the above back to back 3 or 4 times (with new kava)

mouth goes numb... thats about it... oh, and I fast for at least 2 hours beforehand.

Any tips? The only other thing I havent tried is to use a small amount of fat, i.e. milk in the blending process. Would that make a huge difference?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom :)

Cheers, Pete.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

I am new at this and I think I am suffering from the dreaded reverse tolerance... but I just wanted to make sure I am processing the kava properly, and perhaps get some tips on making the effect more noticable.

OK, firstly, I used to have a problem with alcohol, but am now 6 months sober... whew, glad thats out of the way.

use tap hot water
Mix in about 1/4 cup of kava in my blender (I have no electricity, but I found a blender that has a rip cord.. I shit you not!)
Blend for 3-4 mins
pour into a calaco bag
I leave the spent(?) kava in the bag and repeat the above back to back 3 or 4 times (with new kava)

mouth goes numb... thats about it... oh, and I fast for at least 2 hours beforehand.

Any tips? The only other thing I havent tried is to use a small amount of fat, i.e. milk in the blending process. Would that make a huge difference?

Cheers, Pete.
Welcome aboard Pete. Sounds like you are well on your way. RT is common and the trick is to push through it by drinking regularly until you do. Alternatively, you can make an extra strong batch and see what happens, it has worked for other people.

Since you are using a manual blender, I'd suggest skipping it, you don't need it. Massage the root in the strainer by hand instead, 5-10 minutes. Before you know it, it becomes a ritual that you may enjoy. I always find it relaxing, even before drinking it.

The fat thing is optional, I don't use any, the simple (traditional) way is best with kava.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

use tap hot water
Blend for 3-4 mins
pour into a calaco bag

Cheers, Pete.
(1) emplty stomach (2-3 hrs) can make a big difference
(2) Make up more than you think you want to drink and keep at it every 20 min until it hits you - any leftovers save for the next day.
(3) A little bit of fat after eating it will help some, but blending with fat is a minimal increase in my opinion.
(4) How much water are you using for the 1/4cup of kava? You could try making it stronger.

Keep going, it will be worth it in the end. When it hits you you will know it. It is not like a barely above placebo level type of herbal remedy (ex. St. Johns wort), it is strong and life altering.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Pete! Welcome to the forums!

I just wanted to echo some of what these other folks have to say.

-A few people on here swear by adding some milk or other fat but having said that it likely will not make a huge difference. At most it probably will just kick it up a notch.

-It definitely is not a 'herbal supplement' style placebo-high. You will definitely feel it when it finally hits you. If you stick with it you have a good chance of discovering a relationship with an herb of wisdom and intoxication. It isn't a 'drug' though either. Think like coffee or cannabis, in the sense that you can tell after you have had some.

-I will add that 2 hours is on the shorter side of fasting. If you've had a large meal, even after waiting 2 hours you might not feel a whole heck of a lot. Try more in the 3-5 hour range after a meal even if you have to eat a few bites a while before you drink kava. Think a couple crackers or a small handful of grapes, just something to settle the stomach and keep away any nasuea from having a completely empty stomach.

Congrats on the sobriety! I hope you find kava fills that need for you.

Thank you all for your info... I shall persevere. Just one other thing I am not clear about... I usually get 1/2 a pound at a time... mainly cos of the cost. If there are a few weeks in between sessions, do I go back to square 1? The very concept of reverse tolerance huts my head... I know how good it feels to have a smoke after a month of abstinence lol

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Thank you all for your info... I shall persevere. Just one other thing I am not clear about... I usually get 1/2 a pound at a time... mainly cos of the cost. If there are a few weeks in between sessions, do I go back to square 1? The very concept of reverse tolerance huts my head... I know how good it feels to have a smoke after a month of abstinence lol
I take regular 3 week breaks and I'm rooted again on the first night back. I notice if I drink daily for a few nights in a row it's a little stronger, but I'm also used to the effects more so it's not as special. I use 6 to 8 tablespoons. Maybe try a different cultivar and see if it hits you better. I've been free from alcohol since 2019 and was a bad alcoholic. Don't give up. Heavy Vanuatu kava is a good replacement for alcohol. Fijian wakes are a good mood lift. Hawaiians taste good with good effects.

QuiKSilvR615

Kava Curious
(1) emplty stomach (2-3 hrs) can make a big difference
(2) Make up more than you think you want to drink and keep at it every 20 min until it hits you - any leftovers save for the next day.
(3) A little bit of fat after eating it will help some, but blending with fat is a minimal increase in my opinion.
(4) How much water are you using for the 1/4cup of kava? You could try making it stronger.

Keep going, it will be worth it in the end. When it hits you you will know it. It is not like a barely above placebo level type of herbal remedy (ex. St. Johns wort), it is strong and life altering.
I'm brand new as well and didnt feel anything the first few attempts and this is what did it for me. Just set aside an afternoon, make a large batch (or for me I used instants) and I just drank more every 20 minutes until I got where I wanted to be (a pleasant calm) then I waited a bit longer 30 or 40 minutes than had a bit more to extend that effect. Kava DOES work and Im glad I stuck with it. Bula!