What's new

Newbie questions - reverse tolerance and feeling “hungover”

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all - newbie here. I’m happy to be part of this great community. I started with kava a couple weeks ago and seem to still be experiencing reverse tolerance. I’ve been drinking KWK Borogu. Last night I drank more than usual - 2 tbsp in the AluBall for a total of 2 washes, and then a fresh 2 tbsp in the AluBall for another 2 washes.

I didn’t feel any effects last night, but today I feel very mentally slow and dopey, almost like a hangover.

I know people say there’s no “hangover” with kava, but is it common to feel the same way I’m feeling today? Is that a sign I drank too much?

Part of the appeal of kava to me was the relaxation with the “no hangover” added in, so if this slow/dopey feeling the next day is normal maybe Kava’s not for me?

Appreciate any feedback!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Cuzzie

Welcome! Glad to have you with us :)

Are you drinking it traditionally prepared or their "Micronized instant"?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks! I have the medium grind and am using the aluball and shaker.
Hmmm, sounds like you may need to try out a more heady variety. Generally the headier kavas will have the kavalactones that don't stick around too long, leaving you without the groggy feeling in the morning. I've learned to live with it. Even without kava I still wake up like a zombie being raised from the dead, so what's a little extra gonna hurt :)

Pouni Ono from Kalm with Kava is a good candidate if you wanted to stay within KWK's offerings. Moi from GHK also has the property of being an almost entirely heady kava with little to no sedation.

It's strange that you wouldn't feel anything when you drank it but do when you wake up. That tells me maybe you haven't fully adjusted to the effects of kavain yet.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all - newbie here. I’m happy to be part of this great community. I started with kava a couple weeks ago and seem to still be experiencing reverse tolerance. I’ve been drinking KWK Borogu. Last night I drank more than usual - 2 tbsp in the AluBall for a total of 2 washes, and then a fresh 2 tbsp in the AluBall for another 2 washes.

I didn’t feel any effects last night, but today I feel very mentally slow and dopey, almost like a hangover.

I know people say there’s no “hangover” with kava, but is it common to feel the same way I’m feeling today? Is that a sign I drank too much?

Part of the appeal of kava to me was the relaxation with the “no hangover” added in, so if this slow/dopey feeling the next day is normal maybe Kava’s not for me?

Appreciate any feedback!
I work in grams myself, and to me there is a threshold breakthrough amount. You may not be using enough. If you are using less than 30 grams, which Im guessing, but maybe 22 to 25 grams, try increasing to 35-45 grams.

Also try some different cultivars too. There were recently some questions raised over a recent, questionable batch of tge Borogu.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hmmm, sounds like you may need to try out a more heady variety. Generally the headier kavas will have the kavalactones that don't stick around too long, leaving you without the groggy feeling in the morning. I've learned to live with it. Even without kava I still wake up like a zombie being raised from the dead, so what's a little extra gonna hurt :)

Pouni Ono from Kalm with Kava is a good candidate if you wanted to stay within KWK's offerings. Moi from GHK also has the property of being an almost entirely heady kava with little to no sedation.

It's strange that you wouldn't feel anything when you drank it but do when you wake up. That tells me maybe you haven't fully adjusted to the effects of kavain yet.
Thanks for the feedback and recommendations! Yip I’m not giving up yet, I did order the Tongan family reserve yesterday. Any thoughts on how that one may feel?

I may also just stick to 2 tbsp and 2 washes going forward until I start to feel some sort of effect, and then once I do maybe I’ll up the amount I have and see if I feel badly the next day.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
I work in grams myself, and to me there is a threshold breakthrough amount. You may not be using enough. If you are using less than 30 grams, which Im guessing, but maybe 22 to 25 grams, try increasing to 35-45 grams.

Also try some different cultivars too. There were recently some questions raised over a recent, questionable batch of tge Borogu.
Thanks for the info. I may try the Tongan family reserve I have on the way and see how that one feels using the same amount I’ve been using with the Borogu.

do you happen to know what was questionable about the recent Borogu? Anything unsafe that would make me need to trash mine?

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I may try the Tongan family reserve I have on the way and see how that one feels using the same amount I’ve been using with the Borogu.

do you happen to know what was questionable about the recent Borogu? Anything unsafe that would make me need to trash mine?
Cant recall exactly, but I think it was reported as having an odd smell compared to normal, and very lacklustre effects, I think anyway.

Also try using sunflower lecithin powder, it emulsifies and potentiates at the same time, and I feel results in a fuller extraction of the kavalactones.

Full fat milk is also popular and very effective, but Lecithin is a great option for me as I can't take milk at all.

I use 35-50 grams most days, or 3 Aluballs, 15 grams each often.

I do two washes each ball and combine as the 2nd wash is very thin. 300ml line, then about 220ml second wash. Just my approach anyway.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Cant recall exactly, but I think it was reported as having an odd smell compared to normal, and very lacklustre effects, I think anyway.

Also try using sunflower lecithin powder, it emulsifies and potentiates at the same time, and I feel results in a fuller extraction of the kavalactones.

Full fat milk is also popular and very effective, but Lecithin is a great option for me as I can't take milk at all.

I use 35-50 grams most days, or 3 Aluballs, 15 grams each often.

I do two washes each ball and combine as the 2nd wash is very thin. 300ml line, then about 220ml second wash. Just my approach anyway.
Thanks much appreciated! I’ll try the Tongan using my current method, and if that doesn’t work I may look at switching things up. I don’t want to start taking too much right now just to be cautious.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks much appreciated! I’ll try the Tongan using my current method, and if that doesn’t work I may look at switching things up. I don’t want to start taking too much right now just to be cautious.
The Family Reserve is a good, strong and very heady kava, I have some here.

I have heard it can take 3 full weeks for that bingo RT breakthrough for some people.

But like I say, there is a threshold amount. If you are only using 20 grams per day, your own RT breakthrough may be delayed, compared to 40 grams consistentl, daily for the initial several weeks, where RT is likely to be overcome sooner.

And no need for terms like cautious. Kava is VERY safe. Worst thing happens, you feel "krunk" as they say, which is the name of the game,

If effects are somehow too strong, overwhelming or unpleasant, you know to use a little less next time, but there is really no harm to be done or anything to lose by pushing the boat further to test the waters.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback and recommendations! Yip I’m not giving up yet, I did order the Tongan family reserve yesterday. Any thoughts on how that one may feel?

I may also just stick to 2 tbsp and 2 washes going forward until I start to feel some sort of effect, and then once I do maybe I’ll up the amount I have and see if I feel badly the next day.
And you certainly don't need to expect to feel bad the next day Henry & co at KavasocietyNZ have always stated their own preference for the lighter, headier and more sociable cultivars.

Two they have, Kelai and Palrasul, they also state as having a really fresh after session feeling.

If you take some food after your kava session, this too may also minimise or mitigate any potential lingering, hangover type effects the following day, as well as any potential nausea, which I personally can experience if I drink a substantial amount of kava and then sleep without following my kava session by a meal.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
The Family Reserve is a good, strong and very heady kava, I have some here.

I have heard it can take 3 full weeks for that bingo RT breakthrough for some people.

But like I say, there is a threshold amount. If you are only using 20 grams per day, your own RT breakthrough may be delayed, compared to 40 grams consistentl, daily for the initial several weeks, where RT is likely to be overcome sooner.

And no need for terms like cautious. Kava is VERY safe. Worst thing happens, you feel "krunk" as they say, which is the name of the game,

If effects are somehow too strong, overwhelming or unpleasant, you know to use a little less next time, but there is really no harm to be done or anything to lose by pushing the boat further to test the waters.
That makes sense. I just wasn’t able to fully function with my work today while feeling so bad, so I’ll probably just stick with being consistent at the lower amounts for now and build up my tolerance slowly. Thanks again for the help!

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
And you certainly don't need to expect to feel bad the next day Henry & co at KavasocietyNZ have always stated their own preference for the lighter, headier and more sociable cultivars.

Two they have, Kelai and Palrasul, they also state as having a really fresh after session feeling.

If you take some food after your kava session, this too may also minimise or mitigate any potential lingering, hangover type effects the following day, as well as any potential nausea, which I personally can experience if I drink a substantial amount of kava and then sleep without following my kava session by a meal.
That could be it. I eat dinner around 630 pm, then drink the kava around 10 without any food in my system until lunch the following day, so that could very well be the issue. I’ll experiment and see if food helps!

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
That could be it. I eat dinner around 630 pm, then drink the kava around 10 without any food in my system until lunch the following day, so that could very well be the issue. I’ll experiment and see if food helps!
Yeah definitely, the amount of times I have eaten my food for the day, then had a strong big glass of kava before bed- I HAVE felt rough the following day, with tummy very unsettled.

I expect it depends on one's individual constitution to an extent.

But also, I'm thinking literally just now that maybe this is actually a factor which has led to the majority of people who drink kava, adopting the practice and routine of drinking their kava fairly early evening on an empty stomach before a meal.

Also eating a meal after a sufficient amount of kava which has been drunk on an empty stomach significantly ramps up the effects if you take the food within say one-and-a-half hours, before the kava "high" levels out.

But I do know of one highly respected member here with much experience of kava who basically eats a large breakfast and lunch and then doesn't eat again and drinks all of his kava in the evening accompanied with whole fat milk for its potentiating effects.

And as far as I'm aware this works perfectly well for him so like I say it can depend on the individual and our own constitutions and routines etc.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah definitely, the amount of times I have eaten my food for the day, then had a strong big glass of kava before bed- I HAVE felt rough the following day, with tummy very unsettled.

I expect it depends on one's individual constitution to an extent.

But also, I'm thinking literally just now that maybe this is actually a factor which has led to the majority of people who drink kava, adopting the practice and routine of drinking their kava fairly early evening on an empty stomach before a meal.

Also eating a meal after a sufficient amount of kava which has been drunk on an empty stomach significantly ramps up the effects if you take the food within say one-and-a-half hours, before the kava "high" levels out.

But I do know of one highly respected member here with much experience of kava who basically eats a large breakfast and lunch and then doesn't eat again and drinks all of his kava in the evening accompanied with whole fat milk for its potentiating effects.

And as far as I'm aware this works perfectly well for him so like I say it can depend on the individual and our own constitutions and routines etc.
Wanted to post an update. I had the day off today, so didn’t eat much at all this morning and had a pretty active day walking around for a few hours. I had my KWK Borugo at around 2 pm. I had 2 tbsp with 8 oz of water, then repeated that with a second wash. I then had another 2 tbsp with 8 oz, and then repeated that again with a second wash. Each wash included a small amount of whole milk, and I had some nuts after each wash. I definitely do feel something this time - a very pleasant relaxation with some heaviness around my eyes (hard to explain), but I still feel great and fully functional. Hopefully I’m over the hump, and I look forward to trying different Kavas going forward. Thanks to everyone for the replies to my post!

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Wanted to post an update. I had the day off today, so didn’t eat much at all this morning and had a pretty active day walking around for a few hours. I had my KWK Borugo at around 2 pm. I had 2 tbsp with 8 oz of water, then repeated that with a second wash. I then had another 2 tbsp with 8 oz, and then repeated that again with a second wash. Each wash included a small amount of whole milk, and I had some nuts after each wash. I definitely do feel something this time - a very pleasant relaxation with some heaviness around my eyes (hard to explain), but I still feel great and fully functional. Hopefully I’m over the hump, and I look forward to trying different Kavas going forward. Thanks to everyone for the replies to my post!
Excellent so it sounds as though along with a little bit of patience and extra time just some simple adaptations were required here to bring more positive and rewarding results.

Thanks for updating us.