What's new

Newbie to Kava Sayin' Hi

Sojobo

Bula!

Relative newbie to kava here, just made a few modest shells of KwK's borogu and the wave of euphoria and relaxation is making me chatty. Figured now would be a good time to introduce myself. I tried kava, traditionally prepped, initially during the start of the pandemic out of curiousity and boredom, and I'm glad I did. Took a break because I was unsure if it was flaring up my eczema (turns out it wasn't!), but now I'm back and enjoying myself!

So far I've tried primarily KwK's stuff - the Loa Waka, Pouni Ono (my favorite, I like heady kava's right now), Boronguru, and Borogu. I've also tried Dua na Bilo, which is economical and fairly reliable. I've also tried mixing what I've got at the suggestion of Krunky McKrunkface (I've also tried a lot of the techniques he's mentioned, well done sir!) Since I don't have much anxiety (thanks to a heavy course of meditation leading to some interesting peak experiences a few years ago - thats just me, everyone's mileage may vary), I primarily like that the kava facilitates body relaxation while keeping me clear-headed and feeling mostly well rested and refreshed the next day. I'll be using it to reduce my fairly modest weed vape habit, which was beginning to make me lethargic and a little unmotivated, and as part of a self care routine after work. I already found my upper limit of weekly consumption of kava that lead to some lethargy, and so far its been great!

As I mentioned before, I think I prefer balanced or heady kava's over the heavy, sedating kind. I'm planning on trying more Tonga and I'd like to check out Samoan 'ava. I think Vanuatu kava is a LITTLE bit too heavy for me, but balanced out with some Fijian and its pretty good if I keep the grams below 30 and take a break on weekends.

Thankfully I've kind of acquired the taste of kava and don't typically need a chaser of any kind - I like trying challenging and bitter foods and drinks as a rule, like Fernet Branca, bitter melon, sheng and shou puerh tea, room temperature piney gin, surströmming, Marmite/Vegemite, etc. To get the effects I want, I've found traditional prep, blending and straining, and shaking with a filter bag to be essentially equivalent. I've also found water temperature or using soy lecithin also does not really change anything for me, so I alternate between traditional prep (for the ritual) or filter bag shaking. I may get some Aluballs just cuz they seem fun and may be a bit easier to clean/save the makas for mongrel grog.

Anyway, its time for my last shell of the evening... take care and see you guys around!