What's new

kl.cbh30

Hi I'm just learning about kava, and im thinking of buying 'Instant Kava ' and kava candy to help with social anxiety but am unsure as i'm taking a high blood pressure tablet and am not sure if it would be safe, any advice would be appreciated thanks..  :)

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe NDG can chime in on this? i have no idea but I would definitely research it before you start

kl.bukukava

Kava Curious
www.bluelight.ru is better suited to answer your question, there are a lot of dedicated people there with knowledge and background in biology and organic chemistry. You will most certainly find your answer given on those boards. Kava does have psychoactive properties and it will most certainly interact with your high blood pressure. Whether or not it will be in such a negative way to put you in danger or harms way, i cannot tell you, I'm not an expert. But there are experts at bluelight and your answer can be found online. NDG sounds like the perfect person to ask. I hope he comes around to make finding your answer that much easier. But I do recommend bluelight. Its a very active psychoactives harm reduction forum and there are some regular kava users there I'm sure.

kl.AMKR

Buku knows whats up, when it comes to hard chemistry, and biology they know whats up, esp. in the advanced discussion sessions. You can learn alot just from reading BL

kl.cuvtixo

Kava Curious
Kava may lower blood pressure.  It also may interfere with blood clotting,  it shouldn't be used by people with bleeding disorders. Unless you are susceptible to dangerously low blood pressure, I think you have nothing to worry about.Unfortunately I have found many doctors to be ignorant of non-pharmacuetical substances, and sometimes have a reactionary and incurious attitude-  this is true in particular of kava, where there were problems in the past with non-root-kava supplements causing liver problems.  Some doctors will read "kava" and "liver damage" once in the same sentence and forever advise against all kava use.  They aren't interested in hearing that using products from the root only is very safe.  The American health system is a miserable mess and I personally don't trust doctors anymore (I used to work in healthcare)    I agree if you have a good relationship with your doctor and can have reasonable discussions with him/her,  by all means talk about this with them, but I wouldn't accept anything any one doctor says as the last word on the subject.  Just use some google-fu and read up on the subject. The information may not be perfect, but no source is.

infraredz

BULA!
There might be an issue with widespread hepatic enzymatic inhibition that Kava induces. Kava inhibits (in a clinically significant way), many common enzymes that are used to metabolize drugs (possibly including your med).

Which med are you taking?

I have been drinking kava for a number of years now. After a heart attack and bypass surgery last year I began taking several drugs for hypertension and cardiac arrhythmia. Doctors offered no advice concerning my medical condition and any adverse affect kava would have. They simply said NO.

After a 6 month hiatus I S-L-O-W-L-Y began drinking kava again. Now, I'm probably drinking more than ever. BUT, I have blood work every few months and frequent checkups as well as monitoring my BP at home. No apparent problems except possible increase in arrhythmias. Not sure if this is caused by the kava or not as I have have an irregular heartbeat for 40 years.

Bottom line:

1. Check with you doctor. Unfortunately he/she probably won't know anything about kava.

2. Check drugs.com for interactions (as Deleted User suggested).

3. Procede slowly and pay attention to your body.