What's new

Newest Taveuni - March 2019

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I picked up another pound in May and it's not the same. Unfortunately it's been smoked dry and is terrible tasting. Really stinks since I get this one primarily because it's NOT smoked dry like savusavu

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I had some April Taveuni. Definitely smokey, Not bad. Just smokey. The kava was clean and balanced.

In Vanuatu, most growers bag their roots and ship them wet to centralised processing centres (or to town nakamals.) Sometimes the fresh root spoils in transit, especially if it's going between islands by ship. I'd rather taste a nice smokey smell than the funk of spoiled wet kava.

I have to give Fijian farmers credit for drying their stuff before it ever leaves the farm gate. The Fijian domestic market prefers dried roots, anyway.

Does Taveuni have a rain shadow on the leeward side? Some of the taller islands in Vanuatu are crazy wet on the side facing the tradewinds and much drier on the opposite coast. Skinny islands like Maewo and Pentecost are convenient because people can built homes on the dry side and walk only a few hours to garden in a wetter microclimate.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Does Taveuni have a rain shadow on the leeward side? Some of the taller islands in Vanuatu are crazy wet on the side facing the tradewinds and much drier on the opposite coast.
Not really. It's a little wetter on the windward side, but not much.
Only the two largest islands, Viti Levu and Vanua Levu, have a significant dry side (and sugar plantations taking advantage of that climate).