What's new

No dermopathy since being on testosterone replacement therapy. GTFIH infraredz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Okay so I was diagnosed with low T back in nov. since December I have been taking testosterone. Prior to this I pretty much ALWAYS had low level dermopathy. My kava consumption has not changed. I don't even have a tiny hint of the dry skin I had before(and I drink a lot of kava). My skin is not really any more oily from the T then before. We all know kava dermopathy is probably caused by alterations in cholesterol metabolism, and, testosterone is synthesized from cholesterol, (dont know id this has anything to do with it) Lets hear some theories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infraredz

BULA!
The problem is that we don't know with certainty what causes kava dermopathy. One of the proposed hypotheses was that it interferes with cholesterol metabolism, but there are several other plausible hypotheses and even some that haven't been introduced or investigated. The only point I made about that was in this post (quote below).

All steroid hormones contain a cholesterol backbone, but there are five separate and distinct subtypes of steroid hormones, only one of which is androgens, and within that subclass, there is testosterone. My point is only that it is relatively far removed from cholesterol in relation to testosterone, specifically.

It's that old adage correlation does not equal causation....

Cholesterol, is involved with a vast array of physiological functions, biosyntheses, etc. I think it would be too much of a jump to postulate that exogenous testosterone will prevent or stop the dermopathy.

That being said, there was a pretty interesting suggestion made by Ruze that kava interferes with cholesterol metabolism which causes the skin changes which are similar to lipid-lowering drugs (referenced one in particular, triparanol).

This study, which studied the effect of triparanol on rat skin found results extremely similar to kava dermopathy.
http://www.jlr.org/content/4/2/160.full.pdf

"Kava Dermopathy"
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8021378)

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I've also been taking a bunch of vitamin D. Along with b vitamins and fish oil. I just find it strange it suddenly went away

Alien

Kava Newbie
I am fairly sure I have had low T levels my whole life. I'm 32 now but one example I'll give that still effects me to this day is having the inability to grow a mustache/beard. I also only have to shave every few days. If I go a week or more without shaving I will have significant growth under my chin and jaws but hardly anything above it. I don't go to the doctor though because I try to avoid doctor visits in general.

This is very interesting news, however.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Cholesterol, is involved with a vast array of physiological functions, biosyntheses, etc. I think it would be too much of a jump to postulate that exogenous testosterone will prevent or stop the dermopathy.
This is what makes me skeptical of the suggestion that kava interferes with cholesterol metabolism. If it did, it'd have a side effect profile that we just don't see -- dermopathy is by far the worst common side effect.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I am fairly sure I have had low T levels my whole life. I'm 32 now but one example I'll give that still effects me to this day is having the inability to grow a mustache/beard. I also only have to shave every few days. If I go a week or more without shaving I will have significant growth under my chin and jaws but hardly anything above it. I don't go to the doctor though because I try to avoid doctor visits in general.

This is very interesting news, however.
Get it checked. If it is low t, getting on trt will change your life. I feel better then ever now.
Also causes lots of other problems, like heart disease and insulin resistance. The whole beard thing could just be genetic though. Hate to be frank but do you have erection problems or libido problems? Always feel tired? Depression/anxiety? Lack of motivation?

Status
Not open for further replies.