What's new

Not getting it

Angela2

hello. New here. So, last night I tried my first Kava by using Pouni Ono. I felt the tongue numbing and throat sensations but no relaxation or difference in body feeling at all. Tonight, I made Loa Waka for my husband. He felt the numb tingling tongue but nothing else. Not sure what we’re missing? Doing it wrong? I was hoping to find a anti anxiety and relaxation experience. Not working so far. Any suggestions?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Try a few more times and keep upping the amount used a little bit each time and it'll work for you. Make sure you don't have food in your belly for at least an hour before and don't drink too much caffeine before hand either... after you start feeling it you can play with those requirements all you like and see what works and what doesn't.

How much did you use each time to make the kava and how much of it did you drink ?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
The effects of kava tend to be subtle, especially to those unfamiliar with it. You may also have reverse tolerance, so give it a few more tries, upping the quantity of root powder each time just a little. Pouni Ono is a heady kava, which means you're going to find it affects your head more than your body, so you might not bodily relax with this variety. The kavalactones responsible for kava's euphoria and mind-unwinding ("unminding?") have a fairly early onset. Whether you drink Pouni Ono or Loa Waka, the mind-melting effects are something you'd pick up on very quickly if/when you reach a dose that works for you. The heavier kavalactones responsible for more bodily relaxation and sedation tend to kick in later, so perhaps the heavier aspect of the Loa Waka is kicking in without your realizing.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
hello. New here. So, last night I tried my first Kava by using Pouni Ono. I felt the tongue numbing and throat sensations but no relaxation or difference in body feeling at all. Tonight, I made Loa Waka for my husband. He felt the numb tingling tongue but nothing else. Not sure what we’re missing? Doing it wrong? I was hoping to find a anti anxiety and relaxation experience. Not working so far. Any suggestions?
Took me a couple of days, and slowly upping the amount each day, until I got my aha moment. Kava is not like other herbals that are so subtle that they are barely above a placebo effect. Once it hits you will know it. I was using microgind at the time so I could easily up the dose a known amount. If you are using traditional prep I would make up a at least 32 oz worth of kava and slug them back in 6oz at a time every 20-30 minutes until you feel it. It also really helps to have an empty stomach. Best results after about 3-4 hrs with no food.