What's new

Oil in Kava

melanin_

Unique & Passionate.
IMG_4851.JPG

FIRST OFF, I like the taste of kava, and can drink it with water, coconut water, or milk without any issue. I can even sip on it, since the taste doesn't make me want to chug it like K@.

I was about to knead my bag of Cactus Kava, so I added some milk (my family only buys nonfat unfortunately) and decided to put about 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the solution (of about 3-4 cup's worth). I did this I attempt to bring out more kavatones, since I barely feel the effects of kava. I kneaded it for about 15 minutes and left it in the refrigerator.

I drank it the next morning, and the taste was AWFUL. The 1 tablespoon of olive oil gave it a thinker, grosser taste, and it was so bad that I had to throw it out. This coming from somebody who normally likes the taste.

I'm out of almond milk (2.5g of fat), and I refuse to put olive oil in the Kava bowl again. I've tried using hot (but not boiling) water as well, but I don't think it helped bring out more kavatones much. Any advice and/or experiences?

Note: Put this in the [Kava Research] tag since it is not a recipe or preparation I'd like to share, but an experience.

melanin_

Unique & Passionate.
About an ounce of Pepermint Mocha Cofee Creamer from last Christmas or 2 Christmasas ago!! I just smelled it and it didn't even smell bad!! It has lots of sugar and artificial flavors, so it's probably preserved well, lmao. ::giggle2::

The funny thing is that it only has 1.5g of fat, compared to almond milk that has less calories, zero sugar, and 2.5g of fat. ::innocent2::

Do you have cream?

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
You could always try a kava that has a milder taste. GHK's Nene has a mild taste, and it's also one of my favorite kava's for relaxing at the end of the day. Also, kumukua is a headier kava that also has a pretty mild taste IMO.

I personally enjoy the taste of kava (it grew on me, kinda like coffee), so I don't really have any suggestions for hiding the taste outside of getting milder tasting kavas.

N

Noname

Do blend and strain method.since you have blended it all you will need is straining until the cloth is dry.blend 3 parts water 1 part milk or however you want Just make sure to get milk in there

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
The olive oil isn't so much for a fat source more to make a smoother emulsion so you can jug it down and not have to strain it. The Cactus Lawena is pretty fluffy and finely ground might work well using the blend and gulp method. Letting sit overnight in nonfat milk yuck! Without fat in the milk there is no benefit using milk. If you are going to do traditional kneading you're better off chugging right away

Chris1052

Kava Curious
Just the thought of olive oil in Kava makes me want to gag lol. Someone else shared this on the forum but now I can't find the post to give them credit. You could try this method:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Just the thought of olive oil in Kava makes me want to gag lol. Someone else shared this on the forum but now I can't find the post to give them credit. You could try this method:
This is Chris Gourmet Hawaiian Kava making a very strong kava drink. This method works quite well, but it can also be very bitter. Most of the time I have tried any hot water methods for making kava the bitterness can be overpowering. It can also become very thick when heated from the starch. So while you will make a very strong drink (and get your money's worth) it can be bitter, and thick. My wife will drink kava from an aluball all day long but if I make a traditional prep with hot water it makes her want to yak.

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
I just stick to coconut milk. I've also used hemp oil. Which works well and gives it an interesting flavor. But yeah every time Ive used olive oil it's been a miserable experience.

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
If I do decide to do the boiling method I have a really cool blender that I bought it's a Cuisinart that is actually for making soups. And it has a heating function. So I can actually heat it as I blend. Which is pretty cool for Kava it's like the best kava blender ever really

Rick.Sanchez

Kava Enthusiast
This reminds me that the water temperature you use in your prep can have a big impact on taste. I shoot for about 55 C to get a strong a drink without ruining the taste. Using water that's too hot makes the kava taste worse imo, although it does seem to help with extracting KLs.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@melanin_ I find the milk the most important bit and not even the fat. I've tried other things but nothing has made much difference for me. I believe there's something in the milk other than the fat that aids the absorption of kava rather than boosts extraction.

melanin_

Unique & Passionate.
@melanin_ I find the milk the most important bit and not even the fat. I've tried other things but nothing has made much difference for me. I believe there's something in the milk other than the fat that aids the absorption of kava rather than boosts extraction.
I always put milk with some fat, mainly almond milk, and it tastes great too! I'm NEVER adding in the oil again. Such a painful experience, lol.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Are you talking about dairy milk ?
Just wanted to clarify since so many people talk about coconut milk, almond milk, etc.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Are you talking about dairy milk ?
Just wanted to clarify since so many people talk about coconut milk, almond milk, etc.
Yes regular cows milk. @Mrbinx69 suggested there is something in milk that would potentiate the kava, a protein or something. I use whole mostly but semi works too so I'm not convinced it's the fat content that matters.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
IME I have done fat and no fat and found zero difference. I think it's a matter of taste.

But I will say half and half goes great in my mocha kava: I mix old coffee that went cold in the pot with 3rd or 4th wash, add a bit of half and half and some Polish strawberry syrup and ice cubes in a big tumbler and it's one refreshing, delicious and very mellowing beverage. Great replacement for a "yard beer" and I still get to use my old British pub pint glasses.

3rd and 4th wash are vastly underrated and underappreciated IMO. They really do have pleasant mild affects and also taste good.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I apologize, I meant to post this in the "Strainer" thread, just below this one.
I can re-post it in that thread, unless someone doesn't mind answering it, here...

Will a metal strainer such as this one work, if I take a spoon and press the kava throughout the strainer ?

Attachments

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I apologize, I meant to post this in the "Strainer" thread, just below this one.
I can re-post it in that thread, unless someone doesn't mind answering it, here...

Will a metal strainer such as this one work, if I take a spoon and press the kava throughout the strainer ?
It's technically not toss n' wash if you do, but it's pretty close, especially if you press with a spoon.

You'll get less of the hard indigestible bits if rather than pressing the spoon you instead lift UP with the spoon, stirring up, not down, until the stuff becomes less and less liquid, more and more dry.

And needless to say, the finer the mesh on that strainer, the more of the lumber chunks you will keep out of your grog.

The strainer is a good way of getting krunk, though, I will say that. When I do that, I run the grog in the blender for 30 seconds: 5 one second bursts, a long 20 second run, then 5 more one second bursts, then I let it sit in the blender for ten minutes, then strain and chug. For a good krunk I use 4 TBS to 2/3 cup of liquid. But an hour or so later I will re-use that root to which I add a fresh TBS of root and do it all again. And then again an hour later, add a TBS of new root to the old. With some really good kavas, like Squanch or GHK, you can do this a forth and even a fifth time. But that's strong krunkin', as krunk as I might ever want to be, more than that is too much for me.

Last edited: