What's new

Oil in Kava

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It's technically not toss n' wash if you do, but it's pretty close, especially if you press with a spoon.

You'll get less of the hard indigestible bits if rather than pressing the spoon you instead lift UP with the spoon, stirring up, not down, until the stuff becomes less and less liquid, more and more dry.

And needless to say, the finer the mesh on that strainer, the more of the lumber chunks you will keep out of your grog.
Thanks, now I think I understand the key to straining, and why cloth is better - because it allows more flexibility, more pressure, and more mixing and agitating of the material, to get the most liquid out.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks, now I think I understand the key to straining, and why cloth is better - because it allows more flexibility, more pressure, and more mixing and agitating of the material, to get the most liquid out.
Either way the root needs maceration to coax the kavalactones out of the root, attached to lipids so they can sit in a liquid suspension. The strainer is good BUT you still have to macerate the root to release the kavalactones, whether you do it by massaging by hand in a bowl then putting it through a strainer, or lots of stirring and restraining, or by running it through the blender before straining.

Otherwise, the only hope you have of getting the kavalactones into your body and to your receptors is by consuming the root, perhaps breaking it up a bit in a strainer first into smaller particles, and letting your stomach and its acids do the hard work of releasing the kavalactones from the root material, basically toss n' wash.

The formula is "maceration into suspension = krunk" and it has to happen somehow, whether in a bag with you kneading it or in a blender with you blending it or in a strainer with you essentially grinding it through the strainer or in your stomach where your innards do the work (and pay the cost, if not today then eventually), something has to physically release the kavalactones from that root and get it to your receptors in usable form. Whatever works best for you. Centuries of practise have given us trad prep, but KWK concentrate is pretty nice and candies are awesome and my blender krunk prep is nice and the Manoan prep is good, and well, whatever you like, whatever gets you there, go for it.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Otherwise, the only hope you have of getting the kavalactones into your body and to your receptors is by consuming the root, perhaps breaking it up a bit in a strainer first into smaller particles, and letting your stomach and its acids do the hard work of releasing the kavalactones from the root material, basically toss n' wash.
I think it was you that said this earlier, or maybe someone else, but when you toss N wash, you run the risk of digestive issues with some of the stubborn plant material, right ?
But if you're going to toss N wash, I assume it makes a difference which grind you use.
So, is Medium Grind, Instant, or Micronized better for T & W ?

Stephanie12

Herbalist
The olive oil isn't so much for a fat source more to make a smoother emulsion so you can jug it down and not have to strain it. The Cactus Lawena is pretty fluffy and finely ground might work well using the blend and gulp method. Letting sit overnight in nonfat milk yuck! Without fat in the milk there is no benefit using milk. If you are going to do traditional kneading you're better off chugging right away
Homomoginized or non-homomoginized?