What's new

Kava History One remarkably awful missionary in Hawaii.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Today, on “Punchable Faces throughout kava history” we focus on an individual by the name of Frederick A. Mitchell, a Mormon missionary to Hawaii.

This possible sociopath is responsible for the incitement of the ‘Awa Rebellion of 1873-4 also known as the “Kahana Incident”. This greedy, self-righteous zealot was born in 1835 in Sheffield England. He had been a convert to Mormonism at the ripe age of 10. At 21 he married 15 year old Margaret Ann Thompson, and was sent to the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) to serve his first mission.

His other alleged, and heavily contested life accomplishments include opening the first coal mine in Coalville, UT (likely not true), importing horses to UT, opening the first salt mine on the Great Salt Lake (contested, no evidence found, and he only attempted to enter the salt business), working as an engraver, serving as a patriarch and temple worker, and being a general dick-head.

History should pay no mind to this individual, however we’re going to have a little visit just to remind ourselves that not everyone was a good person in regards to the history of kava, or in general for that matter. In 1856 along with some traveling missionaries, he arrived in Placerville, CA. Being the unwavering religious zealot that he was, he took issue with the “sinful” nature of the city. He was overheard remarking “how easy it would be for god to destroy this town by fire” while wondering aloud “How long the ‘lord’ would allow such wickedness to be tolerated.” Ironically, and very questionably, the next day a fire broke out in the same town. His wife suggested they help the people of the town, however Mitchell rebuked his wife and said “I felt that it was the judgment of the almighty and that it would be wrong for us to give one helping hand to any Whore or Whore master”. That same evening it was recorded in Mitchell’s journal “I had the satisfaction of seeing those persons whom the evening before had wallowed in abomination and filth, bereaved of home and property”. I suggest we add “possible arsonist” to his claims to fame as well.

I believe the word for this type of person is simply “Trash”, but let’s take a look also at how he partially successfully was able to ban the cultivation of kava, and even forced some growers to uproot and burn the crop at the time in Hawaii.

Mitchell arrived in Hawaii on June 3, 1873 for his first Hawaiian mission with his wife and five children. In October of 1873 Mitchell introduced the Mormon “Word of Wisdom” in which he decreed that kava was to be relinquished upon the demand of god. In January of 1874 he ordered all of the kava in the ground to be pulled up and burned with fear of punishment if not held in compliance. This may have gone over better had he not chosen to enact this new law under the traditional Hawaiian konohiki proclaiming the law of the land by ancient customs. This proclamation immediately enraged the Hawaiians (Kanaka Maoli) who acted with fury in defiance. These native Hawaiians decided, as a group, to purchase land and move to a new settlement in Kahana Valley. Mitchell in retribution labeled these individuals as “rebels” and was determined to disfellowship anyone who deserted his plantation to this new Kahana village. He was ultimately successful, however only for a short time. These disfellowshipped natives wrote directly to Brigham Young who surprisingly saw in their favor. In response to this, Mitchel was recalled from the Pacific by Brigham Young himself. Their fellowship was reinstated, and kava was allowed to be cultivated once more. It was noted that the “Word of Wisdom” says nothing about kava in any way. Mitchell bit the dust at the age of 88, having lived this long only on what we can speculate as being pure racism, hate, and bigotry. His zealotry and ignorance will not be missed.

This is just yet another instance of western ideology being imposed on the traditional cultures of the Pacific Island inhabitants. This time by way of a maniacal religious missionary. I personally believe this once again underscores kava’s fundamental sacredness. Kava was, is, and always will remain a cultural keystone species

Sources:

Chase, Lance D. 2000. “The Hawaiian Mission Crisis of 1874: The ‘Awa Rebellion Story.” In Voyages of Faith, 59–70. Brigham Young University. https://paperpile.com/app/p/8ea0d398-a82e-0608-a376-9cd3de06a820

Clark, John L. 1971. “History of Utahs Salt Industry 1847-1970.” Master of Arts, Brigham Young University. https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5602&context=etd

Compton, Cynthia Woolley. 2015. “Plantation Life and Labor in Lā’ie.” Brigham Young University. https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1223&context=mphs

Stauffer, Robert H. 2003. “Counter-Revolution, 1874–1887.” In Kahana, 92–143. University of Hawaii Press. https://doi.org/10.1515/9780824846626-007.

Palmetto

Thank God!
Catholic missionaries in Polynesia often encouraged kava consumption among the locals as a healthier alternative to getting drunk on liquor.

Just because some religions are false doesn't mean all religion is false. That would be like saying all medicines are fake because some people sell snake oil.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Catholic missionaries in Polynesia often encouraged kava consumption among the locals as a healthier alternative to getting drunk on liquor.

Just because some religions are false doesn't mean all religion is false. That would be like saying all medicines are fake because some people sell snake oil.
That is the first time I have heard that "Catholic missionaries in Polynesia often encouraged kava consumption"
I would absolutely love to see what source you found this information in. It would be a reversal of stories we have heard.
Can you direct us to a source? Mahalo.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Hey Palmetto. I apologize if my post comes off as implicating that I'm trying to say that all religion is false, I assure you that was not my intention. This post was all about one egotistical missionary that decided he was the king of the land. If you re-read my post, I even speak about the people he went against having remained in the Church, and got him recalled by Brigham Young himself. This is all set within the frame of Mormonism, it's just that this one devout missionary was a shit-head in general. He didn't deserve to be in Hawaii doing anything for anyone, including the LDS. I think he either set that fire or had someone set that fire for him. He's a criminal, and he deserved to be in jail.

RG902

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Palmetto. I apologize if my post comes off as implicating that I'm trying to say that all religion is false, I assure you that was not my intention. This post was all about one egotistical missionary that decided he was the king of the land. If you re-read my post, I even speak about the people he went against having remained in the Church, and got him recalled by Brigham Young himself. This is all set within the frame of Mormonism, it's just that this one devout missionary was a shit-head in general. He didn't deserve to be in Hawaii doing anything for anyone, including the LDS. I think he either set that fire or had someone set that fire for him. He's a criminal, and he deserved to be in jail.
Very interesting