What's new

Powdered Kava Review 'Ono

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
There are plenty of reviews for this kava already but one more won't hurt especially as most reviews are from people using 2 or 3 tablespoons.

I first tried this kava a few months ago when I first got it and as is often the way with new kavas for me I didn't feel as though I got a huge deal from it. I have revisited it this evening and am feeling very relaxed without wild headiness or other way out effects.

From the beginning... the grind is quite powdery but with some larger bits mixed in which makes it hard to classify but I would say it's med coarse on average. The root doesn't give a very strong smell when you put your nose in it but just a pleasant aroma.

I mixed 5 heaped tablespoons into 2 cups of semi skimmed milk in a blender and then strained through a single knee high. I drank 1 cup straight away and another 40 mins later. I found the taste quite mild, nothing offensive at all.

Some subtle effects did appear more or less straight away but I would say this is a slow builder. It took a good 60 mins after my first shell to reach full power and then stayed at a pleasant plateau for a good while after. I would say this is a balanced kava but tending to headiness. The body effects were subtle and none of the effects were overpowering.

I felt as though I was left wanting more at 5 tablespoons and I think I might need 6 or maybe 7 to get the full effect I would like. Overall I would say this is a nice, tasty kava with a relaxing and calming effect that won't get you so rooted you can't move but just happy. If I was a daytime drinker I would say this would be about perfect.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Thanks for your review, @Edward !

I can totally get where you're coming from with its perceived lack of strength. You'll notice that I recommend 2 tablespoons for each shell, which equates to 8 tablespoons (or half a cup) for a solid night. So I agree -- 5 tablespoons is far too little :)

It is a more subtle kava, as I've said in the past, but it's a very smooth flavor with really gentle effects -- so perfect for people who would use it medicinally to relax a bit without feeling like they just ate a pine cone.

Cheers from the other side of the pond!