What's new

Onset of kani / dermopathy

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah that looks like the start of dermo to me. Mine looks a bit different, on the hands it does anyway. It's more flakey skin for me.

Mines weird though, I got really bad dermo after a couple of months of daily drinking, and I kept drinking Kava and it's completely cleared up. Maybe its the type of Kava I've been drinking, I've mainly been drinking Solomons Kakamora for the past month, perhaps that isn't contributing to the dermo and has allowed it to heal. It's a weird thing.

Yeah that looks like the start of dermo to me. Mine looks a bit different, on the hands it does anyway. It's more flakey skin for me.

Mines weird though, I got really bad dermo after a couple of months of daily drinking, and I kept drinking Kava and it's completely cleared up. Maybe its the type of Kava I've been drinking, I've mainly been drinking Solomons Kakamora for the past month, perhaps that isn't contributing to the dermo and has allowed it to heal. It's a weird thing.
I was afraid it was. Damn. Finally find something that helps me tremendously (with anxiety) and it doesn’t agree with me. Guess daily consumption just isn’t for me. Hopefully my skin bounces back quickly. I guess I’ll just have to use it as more of a novelty for special occasions.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I was afraid it was. Damn. Finally find something that helps me tremendously (with anxiety) and it doesn’t agree with me. Guess daily consumption just isn’t for me. Hopefully my skin bounces back quickly. I guess I’ll just have to use it as more of a novelty for special occasions.
Try not to let it put you off. It doesn't look too bad to me at all, just make sure you moisturise regularly. Also, coconut oil really helps keep my skin hydrated, it improved the way my hands felt massively when I started taking it. I take 6 x 1000mg coconut oil capsules daily. Maybe that's why my dermos improved. Stay hydrated too.

If I were you and that was bothering me that much, I would take a week or so off, then give it another go. Maybe cut back to drinking 3 or 4 days per week and see if you get any better results doing that.

It doesn't mean you have to stop using kava, you just need to find what works for you and find your sweet spot.

A bit of dry skin wont stop me from drinking kava.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Also, I started getting dermo after about 4 weeks, so what you're experiencing is probably pretty normal for most people. How much have you been drinking out of interest?

Also, I started getting dermo after about 4 weeks, so what you're experiencing is probably pretty normal for most people. How much have you been drinking out of interest?
yeah man I’m not gonna lie though I’m pretty uptight about my looks and it’ll be a cold day in hell before I’m walking around all scaley. So I’ll stop for a few weeks and see what kind of frequency my skin can handle. Not gonna let this get any worse tho. Incould tell something was going in. My fucking eyes felt like I had sand in them, it’s even Drying them out. I appreciate you chiming in tho. Definitely not saying I won’t ever have it anymore but just gonna cut down to a level with out side affects.

I had been taking about 4-5 tbsp in one serving 2x a day. From the first wash.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
No worries man, don't worry I completely understand what you're saying. Why don't you try cutting back to drinking just once a day rather than twice as well, that wont hurt.

You'll find your sweet spot.

As for the eyes, they will feel better after a couple of days break. A really good tip I've learned is to heat a sock filled with rice in the microwave for 20 - 30 seconds. Hold that up to your eyes for a while, and it will relieve the sore feeling you can sometimes get from kava.

Personally, when I start getting eye issues (watery. dry feeling and sore) thats what forces me to take a break from kava. I don't like dry skin but it doesn't bother me as much as the eye stuff.

The dry hands also really bothered me, as I felt uncomfortable. Coconut oil capsules completely resolved that for me.

I highly recommend buying some coconut oil capsules and giving them a shot.

I actually went right to the cupboard and ate a chunk of coconut oil the size of a ping pong ball after reading your comment, and I almost threw up too lol. There wouldn’t be any reason why the capsules would work better right? they’re literally just coconut oil?

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Haha. What does it taste like? I've thought about buying straight up coconut oil but wasn't sure what it would taste like. It's probably cheaper though and you can take a higher amount I guess. Did it taste horrible?

I just bought the capsules because they're more convenient I guess. I remember I noticed after a few days they had definitely taken effect. My hands felt SO dry, and they fully restored the moisture to them. I still had dry skin, but they felt comfortable which is what was bothering me.

But as I said, my dermo has completely cleared up, perhaps it is due to taking the coconut oil capsules. They have definitely done something anyway.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I took it a while ago for another issue I was having but haven't taken it in ages. I don't think it will help unfortunately though. But, give it a go.