What's new

Forum News Our webserver

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm slightly beyond upset at the moment. We've lost everything from this morning from 1 AM CST until about 2 hours ago. Something happened to our database that caused the webhost's server to die. At this point I'm all in for suggestions of alternate hosts.

I've been reading you all's posts about the various issues, and I'm right there with ya. We need a stable foundation for our home.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Here's what I would do:

Buy a 1U rack Server so you can make sure you have the server you want to use:
http://www.newegg.com/Server-Barebones/SubCategory/ID-8
https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/1025/SYS-1025C-3.cfm

Then colocate the server at a data center for around $75/mo:
https://www.colocationamerica.com/colocation/1u-colocation.htm\
(they provide KVM over IP which is pretty neat. You can access the computer like it was sitting on your desktop)

OR

If you don't want to buy your own server then rent a hosted dedicated server for around $100-$200/month (depending on the servers they have for rent):
https://www.1and1.com/server-dedicated-tariff?__lf=Order-Product#stage-end

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
One thing you could try to avoid down time is to use a cloud hosting service like Amazon AWS or Google Cloud Platform.

My own site is based on ASP.NET, so I use a host that specializes in ASP.NET, but it is not a cloud hosting service, and I experienced some performance issues, so I found that using CloudFlare improves performance a lot. CloudFlare is like a front-end for your hosting service that provides advanced caching features and security, etc. It works for any kind of site, so a PHP/Linux site would be fine. You can add it on for pretty cheap (and there is a free version, too), without changing hosts.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Well I'm glad had a large shell Nangol Noble before I read that. I freaking love this place. Tried so many different Kava's and they're all
winners. Unfortunately I'm from the age of carburetors and points, and not much use on the computer stuff . I am a good finder though
so if you can't find something let me know.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
One thing you could try to avoid down time is to use a cloud hosting service like Amazon AWS or Google Cloud Platform.

My own site is based on ASP.NET, so I use a host that specializes in ASP.NET, but it is not a cloud hosting service, and I experienced some performance issues, so I found that using CloudFlare improves performance a lot. CloudFlare is like a front-end for your hosting service that provides advanced caching features and security, etc. It works for any kind of site, so a PHP/Linux site would be fine. You can add it on for pretty cheap (and there is a free version, too), without changing hosts.
I'm a unix geek but you're right. Cloud beats single server. Operating systems are like opinions.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Linode, DigitalOcean, and Servint. I used each of them for a few years, and Servint was far and away the best of the three (spent 5yr with them).
These days I stick with G.App Engine, with one small $5 server at DigitalOcean to handle some DNS and host a php CMS or two.

D

Deleted User01

Cloud service is just like having an in house server except a lot slower because of the middle man ... the internet. I don't like it because the hardware guys sell so they can make a commission and then they do a crappy job of configuring it. This recently happened to me and I'm dialing into one butchered case even as we speak. Kapm, you might consider carbonite or something like that to backup on an hourly basis until you get the problems resolved. Also, can someone get rid of that huge icon at the bottom that says "Mobile Chat". That thing is waayyy to big and gets in the way.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm working on the tab. You can disable it yourself by clicking it, and then clicking the setting button on the right. After that the last option will be to hide the mobile tab. For some reason the chat thinks everyone is mobile now. I've requested arrowchat support to take a look.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Cloud service is just like having an in house server except a lot slower because of the middle man ... the internet. I don't like it because the hardware guys sell so they can make a commission and then they do a crappy job of configuring it. This recently happened to me and I'm dialing into one butchered case even as we speak. Kapm, you might consider carbonite or something like that to backup on an hourly basis until you get the problems resolved. Also, can someone get rid of that huge icon at the bottom that says "Mobile Chat". That thing is waayyy to big and gets in the way.
I actually disagree that cloud service is necessarily slower. It can actually speed things up a lot, especially if you use one of the big ones like Amazon or Google, because your site is not tied to a single server which can get bogged down or DOSed. And Amazon and Google have CDNs all over the world, which really helps with the user experience. (I can't vouch for all the smaller "cloud services" that have popped up, many of which are probably too small to properly be called cloud services, though)