What's new

Pacific Elixir got me feeling really weird.

G

gecatabg

Hey folks, first I'd like to say that I'm pretty new to Kava. I tried it for the first time back in 2016 when I was working in the US through the summer.

I recently stopped drinking and taking any drugs due to some past addiction problems. I've been sober for over 6 months now and decided it's time to break sobriety with something that's at the very least not toxic to my body and mind. I first ordered some medium grind Vula Kasa Leka from the european vendor Kavaha and I was very happy with the effects.

Since I'm having troubles extracting every single drop of kavalactones I decided I want to order some instant kava next - I'm planning to use Kava as a social lubricant on parties and such so portability and practicality is important here. I actually would like to avoid using Kava at home because I know where that path leads to.

So anyway I decided to look at my options and after reading some reviews here I decided to order some instant Pacific Elixir from Kava Europe. I do two tbsp of Pacific Elixir on an empty stomach and it hits me really quick and like a train. Initially I'm really happy about the intensity thinking it's a much better bang for my buck since I didn't expect 2 tbsp to be so strong. As the effects intensify though I start feeling weird. It kind of felt like something is missing compared to my previous Kava experience. As if that GABA hug was missing and I'm simply dazed and confused from the effect but there's nothing holding my hand if that makes sense. I did another 1.5tbsp about 2hrs later and oh boy did I get messed up. At no point I was having a bad trip if you can call it that but I just felt uncomfortable. Like one part of me was enjoying it but another part of me felt a bit depressed or anxious if you will. Going out with the dog for a walk definitely proved to me that I felt anxiolytic effects not the contrary like with the Vula Kasa Leka. I had a massive headache by the end of the night and I had to take an ibuprofen for the first time in months.

I wanted to make sure I hadn't just taken way too much so I tried again on the next day with 1bsp instead of 2 and then another 1tbsp 2hrs late, followed by half a tbsp about 40mins after that. I concluded that it just felt a bit off still. Yes a large part of the uncomfortable experience was due to taking too much - especially the headache part - but the effects just felt off to me. It just feels like it is missing something, like it's missing that fuzzy, mood boosting aspect I guess.

Anyone had a similar experience with this Kava or another Kava? It's weird, I read mostly good stuff about it online and people seem to love it. What can I conclude from my experience? This Kava just doesn't mix with me or what?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
That spacey/anxiety thing happens with heady kava sometimes. The headache could be due to dehydration, but also are you taking any other meds?

The latest batch of Pacific Elixir seems stronger than usual to me. It seems like you might just be experiencing the effects of a strong heady kava, whereas the one you had before was more balanced. I don't think I've ever had kava give me a headache, though.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
t but I just felt uncomfortable. Like one part of me was enjoying it but another part of me felt a bit depressed or anxious if you will.
In my opinion, you are reading to much into your feelings because you did not expect this reaction to kava. Theres a wide diversity in effects - from relaxing to sort of stimulating/dissociative. The more you get familiar with these effects, the more you will focus on the positive parts of the experience. For now you probably do not know wether you are safe or not because of the unexpected feelings...this also can create anxiety by itself.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
Sad to hear that this happens with Pacific Elixier, it is such a nice kava....

ThePiper

Kava Lover
The last batch I had a couple months back was super balanced but I have had a batch that hit hard on the spacey, edgy side. In general it’s a really nice kava for socializing