What's new

painful dermo?

exit stage left
I've never really gotten dermopathy badly before - I always get dry sore skin around my eyes after a few days, but never anything that looks like the pictures of dermopathy that I've seen - well, this time I think I got it, it looks just like the pictures I've seen. I bought some intense hypoallergenic moisturizing cream to try and help, but certain areas where the dermopathy is the worst, when I put the cream on it, turns the white lines into sore red lines.

I'm not too concerned because the pain doesn't last too long - really just a few minutes - and I'm thinking it's not related to the kava at all. I've had the same experience with really dry hands during the winter. I have extremely sensitive skin, a dermatologist demonstrated it to me once by running a ruler lightly up my forearm and it turned into a bright red line. So skin that's already a little damaged/dry from the kava probably just is super sensitive to the cream.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

D

Deleted User01

I was diagnosed with mild Demititis around the face and eye lids before I every did Kava. I use cortizone creme 10 for that. Since I started kava, it has not gotten better and it has not gotten worse. For all I know, alcohol was the culprit (in the past). When people complain about dermo, I always want to ask How much and what kind? I only do Nene and Moi with an occasional friday serving of Mahakea or Hiwa. I only do Micronized. But I only do 1 to 2 tablespoons a day and 4-5 days a week. Now, that being said, I'm sure that kava (like any other botanical), can cause more intense allergic responses in some than in others. This might explain part of the problem. So tell us more about the type of kava and the quantity you consume. It would be nice if we could do a survey that tried to correlate kava strain, quantity, ethnicity of the consumer, and allergy/medical history to try to correlate them to the severity of dermo. Too bad we can't get federal grant money for said study.

exit stage left
I've been working through a micro sample pack from GHK this month and also some micro Pouni Ono... I started with Mahakea, then the Pouni Ono, sometimes mixed with Nene, and then the Mo'i and Nene.

5 days a week - sometimes the 2 days off are in a row, sometimes there's a day in between them depending on my schedule. Usually I have 3 tablespoons spread out over a few hours. Tons of hydration.

I tried cortisone cream around my eyes before and it only helped a tiny bit, and not every time. The sore skin is different though, because it looks like the photos I've seen. The eye stuff is just swollen and the doctor says it's probably an allergy. I get less of it with GHK's micro.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I count myself lucky I still haven't had dermo. I think I would get a stye in my eye firs, I feel like there's something in the corner of my eye where the "sleep seeds" are made lol, but it hasn't manifested into anything yet. Been drinking kava for a 5-6 day/ week run for several months now, all KWK and GHK.

D

Deleted User01

Yeah, you are having an allergic reaction. With all the stuff in the air right now, kava may have tipped you over the edger. Or you just might be allergic to kava. Why not, people are allergic to every darn plant material on earth and including lettuce.

S

Summer

Have you switched kavas? I find that any time I use micro or don't super-strain my medium grind it can be a trigger. After my near eye stye last week I have totally stepped up my hydration, as in practically doubled what I used to drink in plain water, and I wash my face and flush my eyes twice a day. I am diligent. I have to be because I still have some healing to do from my prescription withdrawal and the kava is helping me along the way.

exit stage left
I've tried all of KWK's medium grind strains, their Pouni Ono in micro, and several strains of GHK's both medium grind and micro. Same eye reaction with all of them - it seems to be based on the amount rather than the type. The only thing I haven't tried is something like GHK's instant or KWK's concentrate.

This skin reaction is new though, and probably because I usually drink kava something like 4-5 days on, week or two off but lately I've had a kava surplus so I haven't taken any long breaks.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I'm a heavy kava drinker who has never had dermopathy. The only side effect I've had is dehydration and sometimes (yes, honestly) interrupted sleep patterns.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm a heavy kava drinker who has never had dermopathy. The only side effect I've had is dehydration and sometimes (yes, honestly) interrupted sleep patterns.
You are lucky, over the last month my dermo kicked into high gear, had get Amlactin and bathe in it for a week.