What's new

Palarasul

P.S.L. Kava

Pacific Santo
Kava Vendor
This cultivar, born in Santo and found in the Center and South Santo, is extremely appreciated on the local market.

Also called "Bir Sul" ("Yellow kava"), the Palarasul from Santo is considered as one of the strongest kava in Vanuatu, thereby on the international market.

This kava is so far not present in quantity but this is all about supreme quality when we talk about Palarasul. Farmers usually have few Palarasul plants in gardens for particular and traditional events.

This is a very rare and exceptional high standard kava. Traditionally prepared, local consumer knows this green and fresh kava can send anyone asleep after few shells!

This variety combines a smooth taste and a powerful relaxant effect!

Effect: Fast, very strong & durable.

Appearance: Its biggest differentiation is the yellow leafs that highlight the plant even in the middle of other varieties! The stems evolve by the time, Light Green when the kava is young and looks alike Borogu stems once grown-up.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
IMG_8622.jpg

Figured I should use this subforum for its intended purposes :)

So far so good with this kava. I did notice something odd, but it means nothing to quality. When I brew up my standard 400ml with 40g I always come out with almost exactly 350ml of prepared kava having sacrificed 50ml to the kava itself. This kava is different. I made my kava the normal way and this time I ended up with far more than 350ml of prepared grog. This kava doesn't retain much water when you knead. I would suggest giving this grind a steep time, maybe 10 minutes to let the fibers rehydrate. After that then go on ahead with the standard prep.

P.S.L. Kava

Pacific Santo
Kava Vendor
Figured I should use this subforum for its intended purposes :)

So far so good with this kava. I did notice something odd, but it means nothing to quality. When I brew up my standard 400ml with 40g I always come out with almost exactly 350ml of prepared kava having sacrificed 50ml to the kava itself. This kava is different. I made my kava the normal way and this time I ended up with far more than 350ml of prepared grog. This kava doesn't retain much water when you knead. I would suggest giving this grind a steep time, maybe 10 minutes to let the fibers rehydrate. After that then go on ahead with the standard prep.
I concur with the Kap'm on this one! The kava is best soaked for a bit. The kava is dense because of the age and the grind as you can see is very traditional. Our instructions at PSL are as follows.

Vanuatu style preparation advice:

Gather 2 bowls, 3.5 oz kava (dry powder) , a filter (50-100 micron) and room temperature water (0.5-1.0 liters).

Place all the powder into the first bowl and add ⅔ of the room temp water. Mix the powder thoroughly and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.

Get your second bowl and place the filter inside. Mix your first bowl one last time and strain the kava through the filter into the second bowl. Add the remaining 1/3 water into the empty bowl for later

Now that the kava is inside the filter bag start to squeeze, knead, and twist the kava bag. This step is when the magic happens! The kavalactones will start falling out more and your water will get more muddy! The stronger the squeeze the better.

Repeated this process for 5-10 minutes squeezing the kava powder into the water. Once done make a few more squeezes with the kava in the filter with the remaining ⅓ water from earlier.

Transfer the filtered kava liquid into a new bowl, and dispose of the solid leftovers remaining in the filter bag.

Get ready to relax and enjoy some kava.

A typical serving of kava is 4-6 ounces consumed every 15-20 min.

Recommendations:

Adapt your dilution to your preference.

3 shells in an evening should be enough for the relaxing effect.

Place yourself in a calm and softly lit environment for maximum experience.

Stir the prepared kava beverage before each serving to ensure the spread of kavalactones.

Kava is consumed in the evening in Vanuatu. Consumers look for an instant effect to decompress, relax and analyze their efforts while taking a step back mentally, and gladly interacting with their entourage of friends and family all with a clear mind.

P.S.L. Kava

Pacific Santo
Kava Vendor
The Palarasul brews a lighter drink but is packed with kavalactones. Very pleasant taste slightly peppery and floral. The key feature here is the low starch content and the amount you can drink! After 1 cup of dry powder I was not feeling full or had any stomach problems. What resulted in my experience was a very euphoric and bright kava session.

P.S.L. Kava

Pacific Santo
Kava Vendor
Ok I don't know why maybe my hands were weak my first time around with this one, but I just made some more. I let it soak for 10 min and kneaded for 15 min. The Mix is thick and strong! .5 cup to .5 liters. The palarasul has again got me grinning for no reason hahha
IMG_20201221_134302_3.jpg