What's new

Papa' ele'ele pu'upu'u

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User01

I am very interested in what you think of the taste. Please keep us in the loop.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
lookin forward to hearing your experience...wanted to buy some but im broke.
the name has something to do with describing the plant. 'ele 'ele means black ... and pu'u pu'u means pimply or bumpy ...
which by the way is probably what tongan Fu'u is describing as well

D

Deleted User01

The name looked familiar so I went to the Gourmet Hawaian Kava web site and looked under Products and there it is. It is black and was specially made for the Queen or something like that. He even has the Chemotype posted. Check it out. I'll bet you if he sees this post we will get a complete explanation of what it is, who uses it, and why. Ohhh, Chris, where are you ....?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, the Papa ele'ele pu'u pu'u is a Hawaiian kava that used to be called just Papa Ele'ele, the pu'u pu'u was added recently to match the appearance of this kava, The more accurate mane was obtained by talking with key people in the Hawaiian cultural community, Jerry K. and Kawika W. being the key people in helping with this. In Hawaii the names were given to the kava mostly as a description of the morphological characteristics or the looks of the kava. In this case the Pu'u pu'u does in fact mean what Shakas said, bumpy, or as Pukui and Elbert wrote, "full of protuberances, lumps" the scientific term it is referring to is the lenticiles (spelling??) or spots on the stalks of the kava.

this is the test results from 5 Papa'Eleele Pu'upu'u from 5 different people. 1 total kavalactone content is 8.85, chemotype is 463215
2 Total kavalactone content is 15.25% and the chemotype is 463215
3 Total kavalactone content of 6.21% and the chemotype is 462531
4 Total kavalactone content is 13.25% and the chemotype is 463251
5 Total kavalactone content is 9.71 and the chemotype is 463251.

This unfortunately is not the Queens 'Awa, the Moi is the Queens 'Awa, I personally like the looks of the papa Ele ele Pu'u pu'u over the Moi, I like all the spots on the stalks. I was at the queens patch in Waipio Valley a long time ago, it is a real nice 'Awa patch and this is where I got my cuttings from. I got cuttings from other 'Awa in Waipio valley but the Moi had more history behind it. There are places way in the back of the valley, right before the Waima gap that have what looks like acres of kava, thankfully it is so far back there that the thieves can not get to it so it stays there growing and growing and growing. :D Aloha to all.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

I told ya Chris would give you the background. Hey Chris, where can we get the one with the 15.25% Kavs or was that the sample from your Patch (I hope so)?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Just drank it. It ended up being WAY thicker than I expected. And it was, dare I say it a little creamy and sweet. Still kava though...

D

Deleted User01

That creamy and sweet sounds interesting. What do you think it was thick? Did you boil it?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Just hot water and a bit of kneading. It's got a fairly fine grind but it was still thicker than I am used to. Unfortunately I have a cold that decided to rear its head shortly after I drank the grog and I can't really give it a fair review yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.