What's new

Pasteurization

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi all, I’m wondering if anyone has some tips on pasteurizing a kava beverage for bottling
So far the only folks to have made a "shelf stable" fresh kava in a bottle is joint venture from @Kalm with Kava and @Henry . They were pretty tight lipped on their actual process (understandably) but maybe they can point you in the right direction or willing to license their technology for someone. I even think there was a paper or two on potential pasteurization processes for kava.

So far the only folks to have made a "shelf stable" fresh kava in a bottle is joint venture from @Kalm with Kava and @Henry . They were pretty tight lipped on their actual process (understandably) but maybe they can point you in the right direction or willing to license their technology for someone. I even think there was a paper or two on potential pasteurization processes for kava.
thank you so much, I am aware of the product. My product I'm working on is creating a line of teas with an extract mixed In. do you have any knowledge on the effects of pasteurization on kava concentrates.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
If you are not working with real kava (by this I mean water extracted roots), then you will have fewer challenges with shelf stability, I imagine. For a start, you don't have the high microbial load. I suppose yo ucould even just use some natural preservative if you were ok with shelf stability under refrigeration

If you are not working with real kava (by this I mean water extracted roots), then you will have fewer challenges with shelf stability, I imagine. For a start, you don't have the high microbial load. I suppose yo ucould even just use some natural preservative if you were ok with shelf stability under refrigeration
thank you for the tips, natural preservatives
do you know if a hot fill method of pasteurization would affect the potency of the added extract

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I don't know any insider secrets, so hopefully I'm not giving away anything here, but if I were to bottle liquid kava and I wanted it to last for a while, this is what I'd do:
  • Start with very clean roots or root powder, ensuring there's no soil or other junk on it.
  • Use sterile water. It doesn't have to be distilled water - UV sterilized drinking water is probably fine, plus it tastes better than distilled water.
  • Once the makas gets wet, keep it in an oxygen-free environment.
  • Purge the beverage containers with an inert gas when bottling,
  • Immediately after sealiing the beverage containers, process the containers with high pressure pasteurization (HPP) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascalization