What's new

Please some advise after bad experience

A

Adriano

Hello,I tried the instant kava which was great but since it is so expensive,I bought regular kava.The method i used to prepare it was to mix about 3 tablespoons of kava with about 8 oz. of water (1to4 ratio).I prepared it by putting the kava in the strainer bag and dipping the bag into the water, then squeezing all the water out,doing this over and over nonstop for 15minutes. The effect was very different from the instant kava. It wasn't really relaxing but it was something, a strong, not really euphoric feeling. But that night when I went to be a short time later, I had incredibly vivid dreams and nightmares. One was so bad I woke up with a scream (this has never happened to me before). Anyway I wanted to ask if the method I used made the kava too strong or perhaps I used too much. Any advise would be appreciated as I hope to get the relaxing effect of the instant which was strong as well but nothing like what happened when I strained it myself. An aside,since a young age i had a lot of trauma and carried anxiety around with me always.The instant kava at first relaxed me, but the anxiety (a lifetimes worth from many terrible experiences) became more apparent to me, sitting there in my chest even though I felt the relaxed feeling from the kava. After about the 3rd time, that lessoned and I felt the kava was helping me a great deal. But the experience when I squeezed it was soemthing else entirely. The only vivid dream experience I can remember was having a big owl at my window and going over to the window to shoo it away. But it wasn't like any dream I've ever had (and I've had plenty of vivid ones)It was far too real. . I don't know if its because I'm not used to it, too sensitive, used too much or what. Again any advise greatly appreciated. Thanks very much. Adriano

A

Adriano

I got it from bulakavahouse waka kava, melo melo, and nambawan kava, those three. I used the waka and melo.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So the negative effects came out when you tried the waka, or the melo?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Both of those kavas are comparatively high kavain strains. This may be the cause of the extra anxiety. Heavier kavas such as boroguru (Bula Kava or GHK), or nene from GHK may be more suitable for you. I, myself, am quite sensitive to high kavain strains. They make me jittery and I often find it hard to fall asleep.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
One way to look at emotions is as a movement of energies. The difference between fear and excitement is the way the energy moves. Kava should be lubricating the movement of the anxious, nervous energy into a happy, bouncy place. If it's not, then I'm not sure anyone of us can help you. However, I find that comedy can help. Next time your Spirit Guide comes to torment you, laugh at her.

A

Adriano

Thank you very much for the advise. By GHK do you mean Gourmet Hawaiian Kava? I found their page and will buy from them.
I probably do have a lot of stored up energies that need clearing out, balancing, whatever. I have PTS from many battles and its
hard to get rid of that. It just sits there and piles up over the years. I hope the Kava can help. The instant was very good after a couple tries. But my other experience with the dreams was scary. Thanks.

A

Adriano

One question I'd like to know the answer to is why the bula instant works so well and the others did not?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Could just be batch. It could be some kind of minor difference in the process they use. It could be the cultivar of kava they used, from whichever island it's from. Could just be your body liking one over another for whatever reason.

There probably isn't a straight answer to that question.

A

Adriano

Thanks, the difference in experiences between the instant and then trying those other two, were so night and day. I still have some instant which I enjoy cause its so relaxing/calming.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@Adriano hmmm... I really should re-read threads in the morning. :hilarious:

I thought you were talking about 1 instant vs another instant.

Main difference between instant and regular root is more is lost during the process of making instant. Instant kava is an item of convenience.

Last edited:
A

Adriano

The difference for me was the instant experience was very good and the other not good at all.

blindy107

Kava Lover
As stated it depends on the instants root of origin. I wouldn't worry about 3tbsp of root powder being too much. Not for medium grind at least. Please keep us posted on your journey, whatever you decide!

A

Adriano

I will, its great to know there is a site like this one where I can get such good advice. I was wondering if anyone knows of
a good book on kava? Not a book about all the scientific stuff but one about its history, spiritual side, etc. Thanks