What's new

Post Editing - edit after 3 years?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hey @Kapmcrunk maybe you can clarify a few questions on post editing:
(1) I assume only the owner of a post (or admin) can edit a post?
(2) It doesn't appear, but correct me if I am wrong, that there is a time limit on editing?
(3) Is there a way to view old unedited posts?

I think (2) is problematic. I just went back to search on a particular post, from a particular vendor that I recalled. When I searched and read through the old posts I see that the post from 2014 was edited in the summer of 2017. If a post has stood for 3 years before needing to be edited it stands to reason that the poster is just trying to change history at this point (and not fixing a spelling issue or clarifying point) - and in some cases can make a thread not make as much sense.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I think you make a good point even though I dont know the reason for the edit. Ive always thought if a post is edited it should send out a notification to everyone, just like adding a new post does.

My reason for it, is because a lot of members edit their reviews with new info updates and it would be nice to get notified. But havent figured a way to do that yet. :(

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I think you make a good point even though I dont know the reason for the edit. Ive always thought if a post is edited it should send out a notification to everyone, just like adding a new post does.

My reason for it, is because a lot of members edit their reviews with new info updates and it would be nice to get notified. But havent figured a way to do that yet. :(
I got no issue with edits on reviews, product info, etc. but an edit that changes or remove information from a post can change the whole thread....and if available a time limit might help, just to keep the history of some of these debates.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm going to weigh in against a time limit on edits by members.

On a number of occasions I have looked back at something I posted a couple years ago, because the thread was bumped by someone posting to it, and noticed a spelling or grammatical error that I corrected.

Also, sometimes I notice factual errors that I made. For example, recently someone revived a thread about specific drug interactions, and I noticed a comment I had made that I had later learned was not completely true. In that case I didn't edit the original post, but added a clarifying comment in a new post so as not to break the flow.

But, in my opinion, the general principal should be: the content of posts is owned by their authors. Technically, it is copyrighted by the author of the post, not by the forum. So, I can understand not wanting to allow people to make changes that would mislead and distort the context of what others are saying, but I think members should have the ability to at least delete their own posts, no matter how old. They legally do have that right, but I don't see a good reason to make that process difficult. I would prefer the ability to edit also, just so the thought of old spelling errors being on display forever doesn't trigger my OCD.

So, what I might suggest is: edits would trigger a message to the moderators. Maybe this already happens, I don't know. If the mods see someone attempting to change the meaning of a post or distort something, they could ask the person to just delete it instead.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Ironically or appropriately I just edited the above comment about 8 times with grammar/spelling corrections and rephrasing what I was trying to say...

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
It's not always about misspelling, sometimes it involve links to websites that we no longer support (from members that are currently inactive) or any content deemed to violate our TOS.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
What post or review are you referring to?
I sent the information on to kapm, but I was not going to post it publicly. I didn't want to start another witchhunt against this particular vendor.
I remembered something very specific in a post when this vendor came on the forums - which surprised me. I was attempting to go back and look at it again to see if it made more sense, or there was something I was missing. I can't find the particular thing he said now - and I believe (but can't be 100% positive) it was in the post that was edited.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I'm going to weigh in against a time limit on edits by members.

On a number of occasions I have looked back at something I posted a couple years ago, because the thread was bumped by someone posting to it, and noticed a spelling or grammatical error that I corrected.

Also, sometimes I notice factual errors that I made. For example, recently someone revived a thread about specific drug interactions, and I noticed a comment I had made that I had later learned was not completely true. In that case I didn't edit the original post, but added a clarifying comment in a new post so as not to break the flow.

But, in my opinion, the general principal should be: the content of posts is owned by their authors. Technically, it is copyrighted by the author of the post, not by the forum. So, I can understand not wanting to allow people to make changes that would mislead and distort the context of what others are saying, but I think members should have the ability to at least delete their own posts, no matter how old. They legally do have that right, but I don't see a good reason to make that process difficult. I would prefer the ability to edit also, just so the thought of old spelling errors being on display forever doesn't trigger my OCD.

So, what I might suggest is: edits would trigger a message to the moderators. Maybe this already happens, I don't know. If the mods see someone attempting to change the meaning of a post or distort something, they could ask the person to just delete it instead.
Good points, and all good reasons to edit posts that I didn't think of. I also agree that a member should be able to delete their posts - although again it might make the thread unreadable. I would prefer if members wanted to make edits they just add clarifying comments to a post or give us a way to view the older versions so we can see the edits.