What's new

Kava Preparation Potato mashin’ makas

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I accumulated far too many Mahakea and Squanch waka makas in my freezer. They’re all mixed together willy nilly. I’m outta kava till tomorrow and need room for actual food in my freezer. So here I go with my pot o’ makas and hot water smashing them around. Took cup fulls out and kneaded them and squeezed out in a smaller bowl with a nylon strainer.

Attachments

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I accumulated far too many Mahakea and Squanch waka makas in my freezer. They’re all mixed together willy nilly. I’m outta kava till tomorrow and need room for actual food in my freezer. So here I go with my pot o’ makas and hot water smashing them around. Took cup fulls out and kneaded them and squeezed out in a smaller bowl with a nylon strainer.
Looks like it made a pretty strong grog with those already used makas. I have yet to begin keeping and freezing the makas but I am more and more convinced that it looks like a great method to extend your kava $.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Looks like it made a pretty strong grog with those already used makas. I have yet to begin keeping and freezing the makas but I am more and more convinced that it looks like a great method to extend your kava $.
For me it’s a hit or miss experience with the makas prep but it can go quite well sometimes! I haven’t mastered it yet.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I suppose it is! :smuggrin: I use the goofy terms to make light of the situation, but I was pretty annoyed last night. This child is quite the character. They both are, but one is clearly louder when he goes about it.
i hear you.
I have a pooch who i cant, no matter what, get her to stop yapping really loud everytime she sees another dog.

Its so loud i get a headache and start screaming at her to stop. Eventually wifey yells at me to stop screaming because im now louder than muttley. This increases my headache even more :)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
For me it’s a hit or miss experience with the makas prep but it can go quite well sometimes! I haven’t mastered it yet.
stick it in a bag, close the bag tight, add the water, about as hot as you can get it from the tap (usually a half gallon). Let sit for ten minutes to really soak. Then knead for 5 minutes . Decant and chill and drink.

Then take the bag and do the same only with half the amount of water, 4 cups, but knead for 10 minutes. Then with 2.5 cups, again knead 10 min. Then 1.5 cups, knead 10. If it looks like it will go for it, do yet another wash with 1 cup for 10 mins. The final yeield from this post freezing operation should be 16 - 20 cups, depending on how much makas you have and how strong they are. Stronger kava makes for stronger makas. Also certain kavas that don't get as much extracted in the AluBall phhase will make up for it in post freezer phase, and vice versa. A kava where most of the KLs go in the first two washes, like Nambawan, will be weaker in the post freezer phase, but a grind like KWK Melomelo will be much stronger in the post freezer phase than usual kavas.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
stick it in a bag, close the bag tight, add the water, about as hot as you can get it from the tap (usually a half gallon). Let sit for ten minutes to really soak. Then knead for 5 minutes . Decant and chill and drink.

Then take the bag and do the same only with half the amount of water, 4 cups, but knead for 10 minutes. Then with 2.5 cups, again knead 10 min. Then 1.5 cups, knead 10. If it looks like it will go for it, do yet another wash with 1 cup for 10 mins. The final yeield from this post freezing operation should be 16 - 20 cups, depending on how much makas you have and how strong they are. Stronger kava makes for stronger makas. Also certain kavas that don't get as much extracted in the AluBall phhase will make up for it in post freezer phase, and vice versa. A kava where most of the KLs go in the first two washes, like Nambawan, will be weaker in the post freezer phase, but a grind like KWK Melomelo will be much stronger in the post freezer phase than usual kavas.
That’s interesting how some do better post freezer! The Squanch seems to hold up ok. Good for when in a pinch anyways.

My strainer bag isn’t big enough for this process. Or I’m just clumsy. I may invest in another kavafied bag for this purpose. Gave the other one away to a friend to encourage traditional prep. Now he uses it for both kava and kramtom tea, washing in between. :shifty: Blasphemy! ;)

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
i hear you.
I have a pooch who i cant, no matter what, get her to stop yapping really loud everytime she sees another dog.

Its so loud i get a headache and start screaming at her to stop. Eventually wifey yells at me to stop screaming because im now louder than muttley. This increases my headache even more :)
Haha! I’m guilty of these family dynamics on occasion!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That’s interesting how some do better post freezer! The Squanch seems to hold up ok. Good for when in a pinch anyways.

My strainer bag isn’t big enough for this process. Or I’m just clumsy. I may invest in another kavafied bag for this purpose. Gave the other one away to a friend to encourage traditional prep. Now he uses it for both kava and kramtom tea, washing in between. :shifty: Blasphemy! ;)
Squanch is perfectly balanced for pre- and post-freezer preps.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

what you had in the pic was, IMO, way too much for one bag and would have been best done in two large bags, two separate batches.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
of course, I shouldn't say this, but: Once it's been in the freezer, it has already been "mashed" by the liquid in the makas expanding when frozen and pulverizing the solids in the process. Your mashing with the masher won't hurt, and could be great exercise/anger therapy/whatever, but it is probably redundant. You do, however, need to knead that stuff when it is in the bag and in water. You could mash then, I guess.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
of course, I shouldn't say this, but: Once it's been in the freezer, it has already been "mashed" by the liquid in the makas expanding when frozen and pulverizing the solids in the process. Your mashing with the masher won't hurt, and could be great exercise/anger therapy/whatever, but it is probably redundant. You do, however, need to knead that stuff when it is in the bag and in water. You could mash then, I guess.
I like the sound! It’s more gross and awesome than macaroni and cheese. Also my hand strength isn’t awesome so kneading bigger balls of makas is difficult for me. No time to do itty bitty batches. I need me a ward to prep my makas! ;) @GreatScotty perhaps:D

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I like the sound! It’s more gross and awesome than macaroni and cheese. Also my hand strength isn’t awesome so kneading bigger balls of makas is difficult for me. No time to do itty bitty batches. I need me a ward to prep my makas! ;) @GreatScotty perhaps:D
I've never really kneaded mac and cheese so can't really compare. Sounds like fun, tho. Maybe the next Squanch sesh....

Shelly McKrunkface

Kava Curious
Well my hand strength is not great, especially as I have a lot of pretty hardware inside my wrist, but I find that time soaking plus gentle working it is good. I am not rigid on timing, do believe in the hot water, and push it to washes far beyond the usual. So what if I have more water than suggested. It is all hydration and I honestly think the later, weaker washes have something that gets missed in the early ones. Subtle but there.