What's new

Potentiates datasheet.

Potentiates pool

• Something else mentioned previously doesn't works for me (please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have scientific hint against previously mentioned potentiate (please comment)

• Cold pressed black seed oil doesn't work for me

• Total voters

Pecorino

Kava Curious
I skimmed through a few topics on this forum related to the potentiates, collecting some data for everyone. It's very crude, but I thought it may be useful.

For: peps who directly said that this potentiate works for them. Worth one point.
Leaning for: providing scientific background for potentiate etc. Worth half a point, because I decided to focus on subjective effects.
Against: tried at and doesn't work for them or works unpleasantly. Worth -2 points.

I skipped a few potentiates that weren't discussed much.

Results:

Spicy foods, hot and fatty foods
For (17): @Kojo Douglas, @Kapmcrunk, @recentreturn, @kastom_lif, @ProjectK, @muddywaters, @KavaCat, @verticity, @PapaMoi, @TheKavaFlow, @BaySailor, @sɥɐʞɐs, @ThePiper, @kasa_balavu, @Krunʞy, @Kavaguy, @Intrepidus_dux
Leaning for (2): @Zaphod, @VictoryRider
Against (0): nobody.
Score: 18

Cold fatty foods
For (3): @boxcar beatnik, @ThePiper, @Krunʞy
Leaning for (0): nobody.
Against (1): @Intrepidus_dux
Score: 1

Coffee/caffeine
For (2): @avahZ, @_byron
Leaning for (2): @Zaphod, @Zac Imiola (Herbalist)
Against (8): @Kavashua, @Krunkie McKrunkface, @BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC, @Krunkaroo, @muddywaters, @Kojo Douglas, @verticity, @Intrepidus_dux
Score: -14

Milk and milk based products (animal/plant)
For (7): @Edward, @David H., @chandra, @KMman, @moff000, @Zaphod, @Krunʞy
Leaning for (1): @Zac Imiola (Herbalist)
Against (2): @yiki, @Intrepidus_dux
Note: people say animal milk is better.
Score: 3.5

Cold pressed black seed oil
For (3): @ThePiper, @superspeedkit, @Zac Imiola (Herbalist)
Leaning for (1): @Pounigirl
Against (1): @Saghloqh
Score: 1.5
Note: people say it may help with dermo.

Cacao / Cocoa
For (1): @_byron
Leaning for (1): nobody.
Against (1): nobody.
Score: 1

Please do the poll, I'll be updating the list and scoring. Votes are public, multiple answers allowed.

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Consuming certain things with kava can add to the experience but in my view there should be nothing needed to potentiate it. Amount used, prep, shell spacing may need to be adjusted but all you need is kava and water. You're only limited by the quality of your root material. Potent root, if properly prepped, will be as strong as you'll ever need. If you really feel you need to boost the effects then you should try to source higher quality root... unless there are improvements needed in the prep, spacing, etc.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I skimmed through a few topics on this forum related to the potentiates, collecting some data for everyone. It's very crude, but I thought it may be useful.

For: peps who directly said that this potentiate works for them. Worth one point.
Leaning for: providing scientific background for potentiate etc. Worth half a point, because I decided to focus on subjective effects.
Against: tried at and doesn't work for them or works unpleasantly. Worth -2 points.

I skipped a few potentiates that weren't discussed much.

Results:

Spicy foods, hot and fatty foods
For (11): @Kojo Douglas, @Kapmcrunk, @recentreturn, @kastom_lif, @ProjectK, @muddywaters, @KavaCat, @verticity, @PapaMoi, @TheKavaFlow, @BaySailor
Leaning for (3): @Zaphod, @kasa_balavu, @VictoryRider
Score: 12.5

Cold fatty foods
For (3): @Intrepidus_dux, @boxcar beatnik
Leaning for (0): nobody.
Score: 3

Coffee/caffeine
For (2): @avahZ, @Zac Imiola (Herbalist)
Leaning for (1): @Zaphod
Against (7): @Kavashua, @Krunkie McKrunkface, @BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC, @Krunkaroo, @muddywaters, @Kojo Douglas, @verticity
Score: -11.5

Milk and milk based products (animal/plant)
For (6): @Edward, @David H., @chandra, @KMman, @moff000, @Zaphod
Leaning for (1): @Zac Imiola (Herbalist)
Against (1): @yiki
Score: 4.5

Please do the poll, I'll be updating the list and scoring. Votes are public, multiple answers allowed.
To be precise IME kava potentiates caffeine but not the other way around.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Can we get more specific about "spicy foods" ?
Are we talking any "hot" spices ? Any strong spices ? Any spices at all ? Or more narrow than any of the above ?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
OT, but I refuse to accept that any other type of milk exists. Soy milk‽ Almond milk‽‽... Marketing gobbledygook, and a slippery slope. Start down this road and the next thing you know your world will be filled with such monstrosities as de-caffeinated coffee, non-alcoholic beer, and kava with no kavalactones in it. If it wasn't squeezed out of an animal, it isn't milk!!

Pecorino

Kava Curious
I updated the first post with new results. Spicy foods, hot and fatty foods category gained 3.5 points, cold fatty foods and milk gained one point each. Black seed oil suggested by @ThePiper have been mentioned a few times in the past on the forums, so I collected some old opinions and added it to both poll and results, for now in it's own category. It scored 0.5 point for now, there's not much info about it as a potentiate here. Poll may change the score of course. @Krunʞy suggested a small meal between the session, but since it may be related to fat (and he also voted for cold fatty foods), for now I won't add it until we'll have more info.

@Plantacious "spicy foods" as in "contains capsaicin and kind of hurts".

The interesting question is, does piperine also work this way? Anybody got any experience with pepper spiced foods, not chilli spiced ones?

@kasa_balavu you'd like Europe! https://www.plantbasednews.org/culture/dairy-like-names-banned-for-vegan-products-within-eu

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Any spice works but the capsaicin is particularly enhancing in its endorphin releasing effect. But general spices are potentiator's because they are diffusive which means they spread the energy or circulation around and prevent it from stagnating. Exercise does this as well. This is especially helpful when your taking kava as micronized and it gets stuck in the stomach... all of a sudden you move around or chug some water and the kava hits you all of a sudden this is because it starts circulation. This can be achieved by spices.

Pecorino

Kava Curious
Update:
"Spicy foods, hot and fatty foods" category gained two more points and is currently at 18 points.
"Cold fatty foods" lost three points (@Intrepidus_dux changed his mind) and is at one point.
"Coffee/caffeine" lost 2.5 points (@Zac Imiola (Herbalist) voted both for and against so I counted him as leaning) and is at -14.
"Milk and milk based products (animal/plant)" lost two points and is at 3.5.
"Cold pressed black seed oil" gained one point and is at 1.5.
Category "Cacao / Cocoa" have been added by @_byron's suggestion, starting with one point.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
OT, but I refuse to accept that any other type of milk exists. Soy milk‽ Almond milk‽‽... Marketing gobbledygook, and a slippery slope. Start down this road and the next thing you know your world will be filled with such monstrosities as de-caffeinated coffee, non-alcoholic beer, and kava with no kavalactones in it. If it wasn't squeezed out of an animal, it isn't milk!!
Lactose doesn't like me. So I consume dairy products where the lactose has been fermented away, like yogurt, cheese and kefir.

Almond farming in southern California consumes a terrifying amount of water. Cashew pickers in SE Asia get poisoned and even develop cancer from handling the toxic shells that cashews grow inside. And soy is just kind of boring, unless it's soy sauce.

So that leaves yogurt style drinks and... coconut milk!

Kavakavaking

OceanOfKava
Here is a short list of Substances I use to enhance my kava experience.
- Please note i Am NOT a Dr nor health professional, there is always risk when combining substances so do you OWN research and talk to a pro in that feild beforehand. with that said 95% of combos are very safe usfall and great ways to enhance the kava experience (Although i do beleave in developing a relationship with only pure Nobel kava on its own first, listen to what she tells your mind and body.

1.SkullCap-
Provides more gaba avalible for uptake from kava.I.E:
(Scutellaria also contains rosmarinic acid which inhibits GABA transaminase which breaks GABA down, thus making it available longer.

2. Fats - (Derrr!)Yes it is true, kavalactones are a glue like substance and are fat soluble (..some kavalactones are water soluble. Some are fat soluble) Old news but gold to many whom are not aware! (Personal fav)
I use cows milk whole fat,
ratios=
fullcream milk- 25%
Almond milk- 50%
Coconut milk-30-50%
Cream: 2-5% depending on water ratio
Soy lecithin: it is a fatty material perfect for extracting lactones out of Kava. Soy lecithin also blends well with water, and not much is necessary to make an extraction stronger. It also has a very neutral flavor to it, and is not noticeable at all when blended into a Kava drink.= 1/2 in weight gram to liq Fluid oz ratio.
As we all shpuld know,Kava can only be extracted with agitation to the root and lateral releasing the oily layer ontop of your bowl of kava these ARE what we want!..the kavalactones. fats help Exstract these out and also add to potetation via the gut from the fat source allowing the kava to absorb much faster and more of the active constituents.
Ice cream- Try a small bowl of ice cream after a shell ( the absorption rate is noticeably increased).

3.Cbd-THC (If your a MJ Lover-Note CBD can be used for this with no added psychoactive effect from the mj - its inactive in that regard for none users :)-

MJ Binds to a at least 1 or 2 of the same receptor systems much like that of of kavas active alkaloid Yangonin
it is one of the six major kavalactones found in the kava plant. It has been shown to possess binding affinity for the cannabinoid receptor CB1 (Ki = 0.72 μM), and selectivity vs. the CB₂ receptor (K(i)>10 μM) where it behaves as an agonist. The CB₁ receptor affinity of yangonin suggests that the endocannabinoid system might contribute to the complex human psychopharmacology of the traditional kava drink and the anxiolytic preparations obtained from the kava plant, nice synergy if your a mj user or straight CBD if your not-100% safe and very healthy mind you. (I beleave alot in stacking to get a full flushing the active constituents

Again very obvouis and simple (And traditional method) After your evening kava, eat something warm and fatty, spicy and greasy helps to...... (In Vanuatu they eat a warm meal after the kava session to enhance effects and duration (30-1h after drinking)

4.Obvious: Knead and blend longer.
a study in NZshowed 120sec of blending (industrial scale id imagion) was = to 15mins of kneading.
You can find many of these test studys online i will link later if interested.)~

5.No brainer: Empty tummy! atleast 2-3/4 hours before drinking kava (you can have a small meal say cornchips if ur prone to nausea but this also fits in with a rewarding hot meal for potentiation if you can hold out!. (You can find alot of info Re fats and kava extraction and potetation online just do a little google around.

6.Valarian Root-(As always do your own research and ask advice from a professional before mixing any substances).
Again synergy is what we have here,
making Gaba more avalible for kava to uptake and grow/release-
Valerian has a mechanism of action similar to benzodiazepines; however, instead of binding to the gamma subunit like a benzodiazepine, it appears to bind to the beta subunit on the GABA-A receptor instead. Regardless, it has the same effect on chloride movement into the neuron when the major inhibitory neurotransmitter, GABA, binds to the GABA-A receptor, thereby causing a hyperpolarized state.
In addition, valerian has also been shown to decrease the removal or metabolism of GABA, thereby allowing GABA to stay around longer.

7 (Very dangerous for educational purposes only I do NOT recommend or endorse benzodiazepines and kava due to cns depression overload although many habe used as a tapper tool while on benzos to stop WD effects of the benzo as we know Kava effects and acts much like a benzodiazepine in a healthy way.

heres a study on enhanced efficiency with the combo(Many other tests with this combo from withdrawl aid for xanax,valium ect)

Abit more on kava and Gaba-A potentiation-
Extracts of the pepper plant kava (Piper methysticum) are effective in alleviating anxiety in clinical trials. Despite the long-standing therapeutic interest in kava, the molecular target(s) of the pharmacologically active constituents, kavalactones have not been established. γ-Aminobutyric acid type A receptors (GABAARs) are assumed to be the in vivo molecular target of kavalactones based on data from binding assays, but evidence in support of a direct interaction between kavalactones and GABAARs is scarce and equivocal. In this study, we characterised the functional properties of the major anxiolytic kavalactone, kavain at human recombinant α1β2, β2γ2L, αxβ2γ2L (x = 1, 2, 3 and 5), α1βxγ2L (x = 1, 2 and 3) and α4β2δ GABAARs expressed in Xenopus oocytes using the two-electrode voltage clamp technique. We found that kavain positively modulated all receptors regardless of the subunit composition, but the degree of enhancement was greater at α4β2δ than at α1β2γ2L GABAARs. The modulatory effect of kavain was unaffected by flumazenil, indicating that kavain did not enhance GABAARs via the classical benzodiazepine binding site. The β3N265M point mutation which has been previously shown to profoundly decrease anaesthetic sensitivity, also diminished kavain-mediated potentiation. To our knowledge, this study is the first report of the functional characteristics of a single kavalactone at distinct GABAAR subtypes, and presents the first experimental evidence in support of a direct interaction between a kavalactone and GABAARs.

8.Coffee-Caffine (For simulation doses).
In short it stops the coffee breaking down in your system for longer (Sone ppl are very sensitive to this so be carefal if caffeine sensitive...
mixture of kava and caffeine can cause an increase in the stimulation effects of caffeine when the two are consumed within a reasonable time together. Some people find the combination uncomfortable, while some enjoy the increase in stimulation. However you feel about it, there's always a good scientific explanation.

Will add more to thread once back home.
Big bulla to all, Much love.(Sorry for any typos) ♡
OceanOfKava.

Last edited: