What's new

Kava Poll Prep Method(s)

What type of preparation method do you use the most?

• Blender plus straining, (list water temp in description).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Instant kava.

• Boiling kava and straining.

• Toss and wash (no straining at all).

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
It comes up all the time in discussions and it has been a while since we took a poll of what methods people use for their kava preparation, so here we are again. I am interested in your got to method daily, not your second or third choice. One vote per member with your TOP prep method.

Please chose your go to method with a brief explanation of how it works best for you that way and why you use that way over any other option.

I know the topic is beaten up around here a lot but it may shed some light on improper or less than adequate ways people are using now. It may help you or someone new, who knows... ;)
________

I have mentioned several times that as of late (within the last year or 15 months), I have been using a traditional Preparation with cold water extraction. I believe this to be the optimal way to consume kava while improving the taste, the ease of preparation and it maintains the tradition which for me is important.

For full disclosure and as others have mentioned I have tried all the methods I listed here in this poll. As a newbie, I wanted to get the most out of my money so for a long time I used warm/hot water extraction which made me gag and all kavas taste extra nasty. I did not realize this until much later, with cold water. I also loved the concept of the Aluball for ease and portability but the reality is I make kava at home, by my lonesome almost all the times, so why does kava need to be portable? (it doesn't and it already is). The second major downside to an aluball is that they break/leak all the time. I found myself having to invest a considerable amount of extra money for something that was absolutely unnecessary to make kava. I boiled kava once, based on a video posted by Chris from GHK, while interesting it was the worst thing I ever concocted, boiled kava is disgusting, Idk why anyone would sacrifice the plant and the taste for a few extra % of kavalactones. Once and never again there. Toss and wash is great in an emergency, I did it a few times flying, anxiety gone, mission accomplished followed by almost instant nausea, was not worth it (again learned to bring instant instead for convenience and potency).

All of those trial and errors led me to realize that keeping it simple was the best way to prepare kava. I use a 75 micron strainer (that has never changed), 500ml of water (on avg) and 30-50 grams of kava, depending on the cultivar and my mood. I am now a strong proponent for a cold (room temp) water extraction, it has been done this way since the early days, more than 3 millennia ago. I would love for people to experiment with this method next to whichever other they use currently and report back, but this for my own curiosity more than anything as I am sure many people will become cold water extraction converts.

What has been your experience(s)?

OzKava

The wonderful kava of Oz
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer
Blender bottle, room temp filtered water, strainer bag OR instant with room temp filtered water.

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
After playing around with multiple methods, my preferred is traditional prep with warm water (around 35 to 40 degrees Celcius).

I usually let is steep for 5 minutes, the knead for 10 to 15 minutes. No adding fat sources, no oils etc.

I think i prefer this over everything. Occasionally if the milk is already out, I might throw 50mls in or so - sometimes it seems to potentiate it but most.of the time I don't notice a difference.

Sometimes I use the Aluball shaker when I can't be bothered, but to be honest I find it a bit sickening and more nauseating than traditional prep.

I don't really like blender method - not sure why I think I just don't want to deal with the noise and extra step.

So all in all, I just like to do it the way it was traditionally done for hundreds of years prior - if it worked for them, it's fine for me lol.

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
Warm-hot water traditional method soaking it for 5 mins then straining for 7-10, usually about 40grams in 600ml water.

Afterwards, i'll either stir in some ice cubes or if i'm feeling naughty i'll use a cocktail shaker with ice cubes to chill it right down.

I always try to drink it cold, however prep it warm/hot.

Kava Eraser

Kava Curious
I am in limbo, as I'm sbout to try a couple new methods, that most people have not tried.

One, using a protein shaker bottle, with the hard, solid ball. Shake and pound that way, then strain.

The 2nd combines two concepts - the strainer bag and the aluball ; both at the same time. Fill the strainer bag with powder. Tie the strings to secure it. Place in shaker bottle with water. Shake.

Plan to try them and report back

Kava Eraser

Kava Curious
I am in limbo, as I'm sbout to try a couple new methods, that most people have not tried.

One, using a protein shaker bottle, with the hard, solid ball. Shake and pound that way, then strain.

The 2nd combines two concepts - the strainer bag and the aluball ; both at the same time. Fill the strainer bag with powder. Tie the strings to secure it. Place in shaker bottle with water. Shake.

Plan to try them and report back
And why not combine the 2 in one ?

The strainer bag inside the bottle, plus the solid ball, to give it an extra pounding and Oomph.

Got a nice dark color to show all the extraction.

Attachments

Last edited:

yestothat

Kava Curious
Always cold water extraction with ice cold water, nut milk bag and gloves. I do a second extraction and mix both batches together.

I boiled kava once after reading about it somewhere, and won't it again. The result was extremely bitter, and it made me nauseous.

Last edited:

Kava Eraser

Kava Curious
Always cold water extraction with a ice cold water and a nut milk bag and gloves. I do a second extraction and mix both batches together.

I boiled kava once after reading about it somewhere, and I won't it again. The result was extremely bitter, and it made me nauseous.
I havn't heard of using gloves before.
Is that to keep the kave more sanitary, or keep valuable kavalectoned from being absorbed into the skin, or to prevent dermo ?