What's new

Pretty Sure This Qualifies as "Free Kava" to some Degree

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Not quite as good as Fushi88's bonus bag, but Amazon was kind enough to send me a bag that got opened inside their shipping bag. The allegedly sealed top was opposite the opening on the Prime bubble bag, and now I have a mailer with a pile of kava in it.

I've been waiting all day for this, and was greeted by a cloud of kava dust upon opening.

I'm hoping they tell me to keep it (this happened one other time when they sent me four 50g small bags instead of 4 150g of "Fijikava"- ) and send a replacement. They certainly can't put this back in inventory.

20210121_152842.jpg

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Not quite as good as Fushi88's bonus bag, but Amazon was kind enough to send me a bag that got opened inside their shipping bag. The allegedly sealed top was opposite the opening on the Prime bubble bag, and now I have a mailer with a pile of kava in it.

I've been waiting all day for this, and was greeted by a cloud of kava dust upon opening.

I'm hoping they tell me to keep it (this happened one other time when they sent me four 50g small bags instead of 4 150g of "Fijikava"- ) and send a replacement. They certainly can't put this back in inventory.

View attachment 11346
Well damn. I can't say I've had that happen. USPS (edit: or Amazon) must have been exceedingly rough on that one.

Last edited:

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Well damn. I can't say I've had that happen. USPS must have been exceedingly rough on that one.
I only ordered this because it would come next day, for free. This was 100% Amazon. Their truck, their driver, etc. I think 99% of USPS is in quarantine. I planned poorly, and ya can't trust the PO right now. They're all face down on cots with rectal thermometers sticking up in the air and apparently, warehouses still have lingering Christmas stuff. My wife's been waiting a month+ for something thats moved 10 feet.

Pretty sure this will turn out to be a freebie, which is awesome. Bezos has plenty of dough...

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
I only ordered this because it would come next day, for free. This was 100% Amazon. Their truck, their driver, etc. I think 99% of USPS is in quarantine. I planned poorly, and ya can't trust the PO right now. They're all face down on cots with rectal thermometers sticking up in the air and apparently, warehouses still have lingering Christmas stuff. My wife's been waiting a month+ for something thats moved 10 feet.

Pretty sure this will turn out to be a freebie, which is awesome. Bezos has plenty of dough...
I've never had them ask me to send anything back, and im pretty sure since it's a consumable you're good to go because it can't be returned for safety reasons. They occasionally screw up my Amazon Fresh orders and when I report extra things or the wrong item they just tell me to keep it and have a good day.

Jacob Bula

Nobody

View attachment 11346
I think they meant to ship this one to me too. Send it my way :p

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Wait....is that the broken bag I ordered?
Too many more thumbs in this pie and it's gonna be a let-down serving for all y'alls..

When browsing the "half destroyed containers of stuff" aisle at AZ, it said "Order soon, only two wrecked ones left", so I complied. One of you is gonna have to fight over the 2nd one, or split the floor sweepings.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
I think they meant to ship this one to me too. Send it my way :p
Nope! You insisted on ordering the broken Shark vacuum with a jagged handle that shoots sparks and fills the room with poisonous vacuum smoke. I said "Hey, why don't you.." and you told me to shut up and mind my own business. So did. Now I get a free bag and you have vacuum smokers cough. I tried to tell ya...

I am however, naming my new punk band "Poison Vacuum Smoke" thanks to you, so you get free back stage passes, unlimited soft drinks and a 24 piece teriyaki wings with fries and slaw. How's that?

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
I've never had them ask me to send anything back, and im pretty sure since it's a consumable you're good to go because it can't be returned for safety reasons. They occasionally screw up my Amazon Fresh orders and when I report extra things or the wrong item they just tell me to keep it and have a good day.
You are correct on the consumable when it's opened, but I wonder if that applies to unopened. Seems that it would. A lot of stuff cost them more to return than to just say "fck it". I suck at returns, but have had to return bigger stuff like lions and tigers to Kohls, since they do that now.

A long time ago, I had wisdom teeth pulled. I was supposed to get Vicoprofen since I try not to take acetaminophen. The pharmacy gave me percs mistakenly. I got to the car and realized, walked back in with the still stapled bag, and they said "Nah bro, ain't happenin". They gave me a second bag of drugs and insisted that I keep the first, since once it leaves the store, that's it. Times have changed a bit since then, and it still strikes me as crazy since its a controlled substance.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Nope! You insisted on ordering the broken Shark vacuum with a jagged handle that shoots sparks and fills the room with poisonous vacuum smoke. I said "Hey, why don't you.." and you told me to shut up and mind my own business. So did. Now I get a free bag and you have vacuum smokers cough. I tried to tell ya...

I am however, naming my new punk band "Poison Vacuum Smoke" thanks to you, so you get free back stage passes, unlimited soft drinks and a 24 piece teriyaki wings with fries and slaw. How's that?
I want a bear claw too.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
i would keep it, it's unspoken logic. boil the living shit out of it. it's not a freebee, it's at your own risk kava. i had a lemon honey kava concentrate arrive opened/unsealed once and it was okay. bulaaaaa.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
i would keep it, it's unspoken logic. boil the living shit out of it. it's not a freebee, it's at your own risk kava. i had a lemon honey kava concentrate arrive opened/unsealed once and it was okay. bulaaaaa.
I'm sure it's fine. It broke open inside a sealed plastic bag. Is that bag "clean"? No, I'm sure it's not "food grade", but if a burger falls in the woods and no one's there to hear it, I'm eatin' that bitch. 5 OR 100 second rule applies.

Doesn't boiling destroy kavalactones?

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
From my understanding which is only 2 and a half years in its development, 165*F is the temperature we use to kill bacteria in our food, and I have yet to kill a lactone simultaneously and know about it. I've held kava at 180*F for more than 20 minutes and did not notice any loss of quality. Perhaps heat destroys kavalactones after a long time?

Kava builds itself into slime at about 160. this skin has to be constantly rebroken to mix the kava root into water. I consider it a myth that hot water ruins kava, and I am one of the few individuals who claim this, so I decided to leave my beliefs. Temperature between 165 and 180 is my go to for sterilizing old or haphazardly stored kava. Stir constantly, so that the settlement may not burn.

Thank you for listening. Bula!

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
for at your own risk kava I would take the risk, water cleans the root significantly, and hot kava made from questionably exposed kava left to cool populates bacteria more rapidly than properly sealed kava, because it had a higher cell count to start with. simply enjoy, know the potential risks.

if I had to guess, I'd say bacteria grows best in moist conditions from the temp of 50*F to 140*F. rough estimate. so "left to cool" is a gradual decline through that growth zone. the stuff I pull out of my fridge or freezer for a rebrew is just as likely to populate bacteria at a higher rate. am I understanding this concept clearly, @Henry ?

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
From my understanding which is only 2 and a half years in its development, 165*F is the temperature we use to kill bacteria in our food, and I have yet to kill a lactone simultaneously and know about it. I've held kava at 180*F for more than 20 minutes and did not notice any loss of quality. Perhaps heat destroys kavalactones after a long time?

Kava builds itself into slime at about 160. this skin has to be constantly rebroken to mix the kava root into water. I consider it a myth that hot water ruins kava, and I am one of the few individuals who claim this, so I decided to leave my beliefs. Temperature between 165 and 180 is my go to for sterilizing old or haphazardly stored kava. Stir constantly, so that the settlement may not burn.

Thank you for listening. Bula!
"Hot" i don't know about, but you initially suggested "boiling the living shit out of it" which by my math is is 32° above the 180 you mention. Typically, there is a threshold that is crossed from hot to boiling, and it isn't necessarily a good one. I'm a risk taker, and the risk seems minimal at worst. At best, there isn't any. Most of it is still in the bag. You're probably taking a bigger risk getting prepared food from a restaurant if I were to compare. I'd know by now because I already consumed some. I feel just dandy, current world situation aside.

With Amazon, it most definitely is a freebie. They packaged the bag into another bag and handled it the entire way, from their warehouse to me. Its a freebie because it arrived damaged and they're not going to take it back, since they can't restock it. They'll simply send another. They refunded me 100% when they sent small vs large bags in the past, and all I asked for was the kava "balance" between the two. If it was a mom n pop, no one would even know that I had an issue, I'd just keep my mouth shut. Amazon is another story though. They're becoming a monopoly, so I don't mind bellyaching.

Also, this is micronized, so I'd really be adding to the equation by heating water, or any prep. Worst part is, I dunno how much I even like this particular type. For 10-12% lactones, there's little effect at 20g and it doesn't seem to touch anxiety.

Thanks a ton for your input either way, now I know how to sterilize any found food etc that I may encounter in my travels.

Bula!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
"Hot" i don't know about, but you initially suggested "boiling the living shit out of it" which by my math is is 32° above the 180 you mention. Typically, there is a threshold that is crossed from hot to boiling, and it isn't necessarily a good one. I'm a risk taker, and the risk seems minimal at worst. At best, there isn't any. Most of it is still in the bag. You're probably taking a bigger risk getting prepared food from a restaurant if I were to compare. I'd know by now because I already consumed some. I feel just dandy, current world situation aside.

With Amazon, it most definitely is a freebie. They packaged the bag into another bag and handled it the entire way, from their warehouse to me. Its a freebie because it arrived damaged and they're not going to take it back, since they can't restock it. They'll simply send another. They refunded me 100% when they sent small vs large bags in the past, and all I asked for was the kava "balance" between the two. If it was a mom n pop, no one would even know that I had an issue, I'd just keep my mouth shut. Amazon is another story though. They're becoming a monopoly, so I don't mind bellyaching.

Also, this is micronized, so I'd really be adding to the equation by heating water, or any prep. Worst part is, I dunno how much I even like this particular type. For 10-12% lactones, there's little effect at 20g and it doesn't seem to touch anxiety.

Thanks a ton for your input either way, now I know how to sterilize any found food etc that I may encounter in my travels.

Bula!
It can't be any more risky than, say, eating road kill?

Jacob Bula

Nobody

Bula!
I've made mongrel grog with frozen makas before per the instructions of @Krunkie McKrunkface ; however, I was too lazy to thaw my makas so I just used boiling water. Once the water cooled a little bit; I kneaded the strainer bag and drank it up. It was still effective. Not sure about the science, but in my experience it still made potent drinkable kava, although there were a few bits of gelatinous goodness and the taste was a little different. But if it was mine, I would probably just use it with room temp water or slightly warmer water and see if I got sick. Let that immune system do its thing.