What's new

Problems sleeping with heady kava

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Anyone notice this? Everytime I have drank GHKs Hawaiian before bed, I seem to have more trouble sleeping then if I hadn't had any kava at all, partly because I want to just stay awake and research things lol.

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, I've noticed this as well. In fact, too much kavain can actually give me a little bid of edginess, but that's not usual as I seem to be unusually sensitive to Kavain.

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, like bob said, it's probably due to high(er) amounts of kavain which can result in higher norepinephrine levels (it indirectly acts as a weak NE reuptake inhibitor) which will definitely have that effect. Also, and this is probably less likely, but Desmethoxyyangonin can is a weak and reversible MAOI-B inhibitor so it will increase levels of dopamine and phenylethylamine which obviously have that effect, although I would say it's most likely due to the Kavain NAT action.

violet

Do all things with love
Absolutely, any Hawaiians I have tried will interfere with falling and staying asleep if I drink them in the afternoon. The only way I have figured around this is that enough kava will make you sleepy, drinking more can help if you are stuck in the "on" switch at night.