What's new

Processing for small scale farmer

RUSTYHOLO

Kava Curious
Aloha,

I am about to process some plants. I am thinking of picking up a hamburger grinder. I have used a hand crank hamburger grinder before, but I need something for efficient for the size of this harvest. I plan to keep the root frozen. Curious if anyone has used anything else besides a hamburger grinder

Mahalo

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
I assume that you will sell it to the public?

Don't you have to use a food processing facility?

I don't think a hamburger (meat) grinder will work at least not for long.

RUSTYHOLO

Kava Curious
Im not gonna be selling to the public, so dont gotta worry about that.

I have heard of different machines that get manipulated into ʻawa processors, just curious to hear what others prefer

also to specify, I plan to process the root fresh, not dried

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Aloha,

I am about to process some plants. I am thinking of picking up a hamburger grinder. I have used a hand crank hamburger grinder before, but I need something for efficient for the size of this harvest. I plan to keep the root frozen. Curious if anyone has used anything else besides a hamburger grinder

Mahalo
My Hobart Food Chopper used to do up to 40 pounds at a time. Best if chopped and frozen first then run through the Hobart.
These Hobarts can also make poi...so they can get the root/stump down to a real fine pulp.
However by far the best is a meat grinder with different screen settings as in photo.
For small quantities I used to use a Corona Corn Mill, hand crank.
Also used a Ninja 1500, but that's pretty small quantities.

Attachments

RUSTYHOLO

Kava Curious
Oh nice! I will go look into those different options, this round will be a smaller harvest, but tryna get a small operation going, so might need to invest in the Hobart or hamburger grinder for the future. Appreciate you taking the time to share your manaʻo