What's new

Quantity to take to get a shield effect

Lionbar

My interest in taking Kava is primarily to rid myself of anxiety as well as make myself calm down enough to focus longer (it is unclear to me if this is a part of or separate from the anxiety). I'm not looking to get krunk, but I would like the effects to last longer than the initial feeling.

I have some Instant Mahakea on the way, and am pretty lightweight (125 lbs) - how much does everyone else need to get an after effect? (After I get past possible reverse tolerance.)

Also: My research has led me to thinking it'd also be good to try GHK Papa Kea, Mo'i, and a good brand of Boronguru. Any other recs out there?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Welcome!

The shield effect is one of my favorite kava after effects. It's what follows me into the next morning and rids me of the all encompassing dread of being awake early in the morning.

Instant mahakea is a great kava. In fact possibly one of the best balanced kavas out there.

There isn't a set amount to get you a prescribed cross-section of effects. What you'll likely need to do is slowly increase your dosage until you arrive at a feeling you find comfortable. Once you find that amount, if you continue to take it daily, the kavalactones build up in your system you'll start to achieve the shield effect.

Generally kavas that lean sedative tend to continue on more with anxiety reduction longer into the next day. I'd suggest a borongoru or boroguru if you wanted to try one a bit more sedative. Papa Kea is excellent and a good candidate for the shield effect. Moi being an almost entirely heady kava may not be exactly what you're looking for. It's one of the most uniquely euphoric kavas offered, and being that it's chocked with kavain, it doesn't tend to stick around for very long.

Hope you find exactly what you're looking for.

Bula!

Lionbar

Welcome!

The shield effect is one of my favorite kava after effects. It's what follows me into the next morning and rids me of the all encompassing dread of being awake early in the morning.

Instant mahakea is a great kava. In fact possibly one of the best balanced kavas out there.

There isn't a set amount to get you a prescribed cross-section of effects. What you'll likely need to do is slowly increase your dosage until you arrive at a feeling you find comfortable. Once you find that amount, if you continue to take it daily, the kavalactones build up in your system you'll start to achieve the shield effect.

Generally kavas that lean sedative tend to continue on more with anxiety reduction longer into the next day. I'd suggest a borongoru or boroguru if you wanted to try one a bit more sedative. Papa Kea is excellent and a good candidate for the shield effect. Moi being an almost entirely heady kava may not be exactly what you're looking for. It's one of the most uniquely euphoric kavas offered, and being that it's chocked with kavain, it doesn't tend to stick around for very long.

Hope you find exactly what you're looking for.

Bula!
Thank you! This hadn't occurred to me before, but are instant and medium grind kavas very noticably different in effects? It hadn't occurred to me that they may differ in more than prep or GI issues (as in the case of micronized).