What's new

Question about sublingual administration

kl.midas

Kava Enthusiast
Does taking the co2 extract sublingually mean that it doesn't make a difference if it's taken on an empty or full stomach?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Generally that is the thought with sublingual administration. I, however, find that I only notice the effect after I swallow the extract. I love the extract but I usually end up just eating it. I've often wondered if you use listerine mouthwash beforehand (this has been shown to increase sublingual absorption rates) if it would have a noticeably faster effect.

An empty or full stomach makes no difference. The sublingual route bypasses your stomach. This is why it is a fast, more direct release mechanism compared to digestion. Onset sensations are more clearly apparent for almost everyone as opposed to simply digesting. 
Digesting kava on a full stomach may dilute the overall effect, though by prolonging the absorption into the blood stream it may increase duration. Some people's individual physiologies, perhaps like Kapmcrunk here, benefit more from this route of administration. Be attentive of how kavalactones integrate into your lifestyle and health and find what works best for you

hyperdown

Kava Curious
Kapmcrunk said:
Generally that is the thought with sublingual administration. I, however, find that I only notice the effect after I swallow the extract. I love the extract but I usually end up just eating it. I've often wondered if you use listerine mouthwash beforehand (this has been shown to increase sublingual absorption rates) if it would have a noticeably faster effect.
i agree, i've tried this extract sublingually several times, but the only really good effects i've achieved with it were from swallowing a spoonful.

kl.midas

Kava Enthusiast
Upon reflection, I realise that I swallow the majority or it anyway, rather than swallowing it. So I suppose the empty stomach rule still applies.

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
I've read in MEDICINE HUNTING IN PARADISE (I think?) that mastification followed by ingestion is necessary to obtain the effect of the kavalactones.  I don't believe the standard sublingual delivery route used by other synthetic drugs applies to kava.  Its kind of "naturally coincidental" that something which grows in the ground must be chewed & swallowed to derive the full effect of IMO.

D

Deleted User01

When I take kava Candy or Gaia Phytocapsules, I do take it sublingually and it works right away.  I clip the tops off the capsules and sqeeze the nectar under my tongue.   I have swished the Kava Tea around to try for a sublingual approach but the taste makes it prohibitive.