What's new

Question for Adil

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Not actually about @Paradise Kava but I am curious -- Do you think kava cultivation on the mainland is possible? Will it ever happen at scale?

I know kava likes the island environment, do you think it would survive in gulf coast U.S. weather (hot humid summers, mild winters but very occasional freezes)?

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
I think its very hard unless the tropical climate of the Islands is possible. Otherwise, yes its doable!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Thats a bummer. I keep thinking about it myself but -- even if it were possible in the climates here -- its a 3-5 year investment before you see a return. Probably not likely to happen any time soon :( Thanks for answering.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
If you just want to grow for the love of it....Don't be disheartened! You could grow a few indoors if a cutting can be found. Ask around in the nurserys in Honolulu...Im sure its done!

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I have heard of someone growing them as potted plants in northern NZ.

Gulf Coast is way hotter than that in summer, but it is those freak freezes that would cause issues. Florida Keys would be fine.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
That was my thinking as well. I was wondering if the kava could tolerate the heat and humidity. If it could, you might be able to grow it at scale in a greenhouse heated to avoid the freezes.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
It thrives in hot and humid places. Hawaii is not a particularly humid place (thanks to the very persistent trade winds) for a tropical areas, but Vanuatu, Fiji, PNG etc. all are. They don't get the 40C days that the South US sometimes gets, but the sort of 30-35C sultry heat that is typical around the Gulf Coast is also typical for the tropical south Pacific.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I think that Kava would grow in a pot in a green house where the temp is kept hot enough. Kava does grow in Florida but it is very rare and hard to find who has it over there, all the people I sent cuttings to long ago are no longer doing it.
Now remember that here in Hawaii the freezing point is like 60 degrees :D and right now it is about 52 degrees (I live at a higher elevation on the Big Island) but right outside in my yard the kava is growing great.
Now if anyone wanted to try to grow some, I wonder where they would get the cuttings or the small plants? :D
Aloha everyone.

Chris

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Now youve piqued my interest. I wonder how many plants do you think you'd have to keep going at once for personal use? How many servings can you get out of a plant?

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
vorcity, kavadude, you got it! Moist (but not wet since that leads to root rot eventually) weather at lower elevation in warm climates is ideal.

Chris, we tried growing Kava at higher elevations on the big Island and the results were pretty dismal due to the incredible amount of rainfall (leaves would get pale green as they were literally stripped by the rain), and over the years, we noticed a big difference between plant yield from near sea level to higher elevation.
Kava loves lower elevations was the conclusion of that experiment.

Kavadude, one of my favorite things in the world is coming home early evening, digging up a medium sized kava plant, cleaning it, pounding the roots and making fresh kava beverage a few hours later. Average yield depends on the care and soil. A friend harvested a record 70 pounds of root from a 5 year old plant. It was a erect growing variety like Spotted Hiwa or Nene (not a prostrate grower like Papa 'Ele 'Ele which never yields as much, but is still my personal favorite Hawaiian variety.)
This yield speaks volumes about soil quality since 2+ year old plants sometimes develop nematodes and the little critters make homes inside the lateral roots.

In a perfect world, I'd have staggered growth of the various varieties I love. Continuous planting and TLC :happy:
Cheers to a freezer full of Kava pulp!
AG

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Adil, I agree, Kava does like the lower elevations, but I have great success at 3000 feet in Kau. I have also changed the morphology of different plants by the area and conditions they are grown in. Do you still sell at the farmers market in Hilo, I know your in honolulu now but I was just wondering, it has been a while since I have been to that market.
Are you going to go to the kava seminar in Fiji? Ed J. was going to go but gave his ticket to Dr. Jeri Ooka.

Kavadude, I did find this link to kava plants being sold on the mainland---- http://worldseedsupply.ecrater.com/p/12573741/live-kava-plant-hawaiian-moi
Aloha to all.

Chris

Last edited:

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Chris,
Ed recommended the Kava Symposium to me and I did consider going.
Doubt it will happen since I'm still in Asia till mid feb. Are you planning on going?
Kau is so much drier than mountain view area of the Big island, maybe that's why you had better luck?
I do miss the Hilo Farmers Market! It's such a sweet place to find all kinds of Hawaiian handmade goodies :smuggrin:
AG

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Ya, Ed was telling me about suggesting that you should go, he wanted me to go too but I do not have the time. One of the Professors is going to stop by the Big Island to see my farms on his way out to Fiji.
I still grow a few 'awa plants in Mountain View but you are right it is too wet and the Phoma gets all the plants, hard to grow them with the phoma.
Aloha.

Chris

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Phoma is Kryptonite to Kava! Struggled with that myself.
Say Hi to dear ol' Ed. Invited him here a few times but he's kinda shy.
Cheers Chris!

Status
Not open for further replies.