What's new

Question: Kava's effects on testosterone?

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
Hello All!,
PapaC here! I started a ketovore diet earlier this year because I gained a ton of weight during covid. Insight: I have 4 kids. Lost my job due to covid and basically became a stay at home dad during that period. I have since gotten a job, but that whole time I was basically handling household cleaning and duties and also basically trying to teach my kids since teachers only had to be online teaching 2 hours a day... on a fully reclined beach chair.... in a bikini.... slurring her words while drinking a "slushi" (that really happened with one of my kids). So I basically blew up like a blimp for 2 years because I lived a sedentary lifestyle and ate my wife's diet which is horrible and now I'm doing something about it.

A ketovore diet is a cross between the carnivore diet and a keto diet. I won't go into each diet, but it basically means that I eat a ton of unprocessed fatty meat, fish, organs like liver and small levels low lactose meat products like butter and hard cheeses. I also incorporate heart healthy oils, low sugar and low starch fruit and veggies so that I have a more well rounded diet, but I consider those medicinal. For drinks: Water, unsweetened tea and coffee and the occasional exercise focused energy drink (red bull, rockstar and monster do not fit that criteria). The result: A simple, extremely low sugar, mostly highly unprocessed nutritional diet that causes you to feel great and drop weight at reasonable levels without sacrificing muscle or your health.

The results have been that I feel excellent, have great energy levels and have dropped a reasonable amount of weight during a reasonable amount of time. The one anomaly in my diet is kava. Every couple of weeks I want to relax and enjoy myself just like everyone else, and I consider kava to be a much better alternative than everything else. It's a starch, and it will cause you to leach vitamins and minerals, but it will also help you drop weight (something that I can attest to, but this is already turning into a novel since I can't make anything simple).

But what does it do to testosterone? Just curious if anyone knows. It's cool regardless, I'm just curious.

Last edited:

Jean

Kava Curious
Interesting question and I also would like to know the answer. From what I remember, kava increases slightly the cholesterol level (however, which cholesterol? The HD, the LD, or both of them?). As cholesterol is needed for the production of testosterone, it may I first sight not be excluded that kava has at least an indirect effect on the production of testosterone. However, as I'm not an endocrinologist, I will refrain to conclude anything, particularly, if kava has an effect if any, I have no clue if it may increase or decrease the amount of testosterone or its availability.