What's new

Rash/hand dryness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Is this the beggining of dermo... my hands have been excessivly dry since yesterday and now it seems a rash is happening on my hands lol. From kneading maybe ??

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Do you use gloves? Kneading kava is extremely hard on the hands, I'd use nitrile gloves when doing it. It could also be the beginnings of dermo, but kneading it with bare hands will definitely accelerate it and give you old man hands with the quickness.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
That's exatly what happened but then today I used gloves to knead instead and it seemed to help but now a couple hours layer my hands are starting to rash which is what confused me ? The dry hands I know is from kneading but the rash? Is that typical too?. I also used a lotion that may have done something idk?

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
I had the same thing happen and waited WAY too long to do something about it. My hands got dried and split and wrinkly and disgusting. Now I use nitrile gloves (as recommended above) and actually apply hand salve to my hands before I put the gloves on so that I'm deeply moisturizing my hands as I knead and it has nearly reversed the grossness in just a few days

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
That's exatly what happened but then today I used gloves to knead instead and it seemed to help but now a couple hours layer my hands are starting to rash which is what confused me ? The dry hands I know is from kneading but the rash? Is that typical too?. I also used a lotion that may have done something idk?
If you've only used gloves, like, once, it could be too late for now.

Rash is not normal. Like red, raised skin? I wonder if it could be an allergic reaction to something in the lotion? Dermo/bad kneading hands is usually just dry, wrinkly and peely. But not red or irritated.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah. What kind of glove did you use? Some people are allergic to latex. Pop a benadryl if it gets too annoying.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Nah I'm not allergic to latex, these gloves are actually non latex .. and have some powder in them which I washed out before kneading the kava.... I'll put up pics of both

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
@Kapmcrunk told me to use gloves a while ago ... shouldve listened :(... haha my dad said that when your hands dry our your more likely to get rashes from something like lotion too or allergy. That makes sense. Idk as long as it's not my precious kava doing this ;) haha

Lamakan

Kava Enthusiast
Throw out the lotion-buy some unrefined cold pressed coconut oil-I get mine in stop and shop-never use lotion again-eat a spoon a day too-dryness is from the inside-

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Yea. Definitely go with the coconut oil or lotion and non of the chemical laden petroleum based lotions. And go for powder-free NITRILE gloves. Make sure you only use them once
(One of the products our company sells! Distributors only but you should find plenty on Amazon.com)

Blippy5

Certified Noble
You can find gloves without powder. I get dry hand a lot too if I drink a lot of kava.

You could try a hand salve like someone mentioned above. Burt's bees has one you can get at the store, but it's overpriced.

BulaJones

My tongue is numb!
I have been suffering from "kava hand" for the past few weeks now. When I first noticed it I started using nitrile gloves, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I am going to have to try some cocoanut oil in the gloves.

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools in your area they have great deals on powder-free nitrile gloves. Don't forget to bring your 20% off coupon ;)

satchel

Kava Curious
Looks painful *and* itchy. I'm new at this. Must all traditional kava be kneaded by hands? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking can other tools be used. Over past week when I let tablespoons of kava sit in warm water (within cheesecloth) , it extracts so easily. It has me thinking of a mortar and pestle. The traditional bowl and mixing tool with herbs. I have a pestle can try to extract and also an oversized big silver spoon. Curious if you all have kneaded with other tools aside from hands?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@satchel You can use a blender, or put it in a ziploc bag and roll on it with a rolling pin. There's even crazier methods that some of us have experimented with. The important part is agitating/putting pressure on the root to force the resin into the water. Kavalactones are not water soluble, so sitting in water is not enough to extract them. Ultimately, there's still a final straining step with your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.