What's new

Real Live Kava Plant

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
My first time around, 2 winters ago, I had a few awa plants survive into the mid forties or slightly below. Some of them hated 45 degrees in pots. Some were burnt, but okay at 44 or 43. I believe 40 would kill most potted awa plants in the Southeastern US. I had around 7 Hawaiian cultivars at the time. Some survived indoors but struggled until finally giving up the ghost late spring. Too dry probably. If I recall, Honokane Iki and Hiwa survived cold longer than Papa Ele ele, Papa elel ele puu puu, papa kea, nene, and some others. But limited experience, of course.

This time around, I am trying new growing methods perhaps better suited for survival here. I'm not fooling myself into growing them yearround outdoors without some major protection. Might take a greenhouse. Anyway, these need to be potted up soon. If I can actually keep them alive a few years, I can't wait to try fresh Borogu and Hanikapi Ai.

View attachment 9393

@shakas I don't share your love for Isa, despite having cuttings of it and an old pound sitting in my fridge. I went through a phase of drinking only heavies, but I am well out of it for good. I don't enjoy dragging through the day with a clouded head. And heavy kavas make your muscles resistant to working out. That was probably a liability in battle years ago for cultures that battled often, like the Polynesians. I do think that Isa has value as an anti cancer medication, but it is no cure all on its own. But it doesn't really matter whether or not you believe in it.
Looks like they're comin' along nicely, when did you start them? And where did you find Borogu cuttings, you can DM me if you don't wanna say in the thread. You're in the Mid-Atlantic area right ?

I'm not sure that I'd say I 'love' Isa, but would certainly be willing to imbibe on occasion, especially fresh. I hope you grow those cuttings as well, so we can see if they're more resilient than the rest come fall/winter.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
View attachment 9393

@shakas I don't share your love for Isa, despite having cuttings of it and an old pound sitting in my fridge. I went through a phase of drinking only heavies, but I am well out of it for good. I don't enjoy dragging through the day with a clouded head. And heavy kavas make your muscles resistant to working out. That was probably a liability in battle years ago for cultures that battled often, like the Polynesians. I do think that Isa has value as an anti cancer medication, but it is no cure all on its own. But it doesn't really matter whether or not you believe in it.
Just out of curiosity, when were you consuming these heavies that left you dragging through the day? I know it's not always optimal but that effect is what gave me the sleep initiation and quality I needed to completely replace pharmaceuticals.

Good luck with those sprouts. I'd love to have some Borogu cuttings and the means to keep them alive. Do you have a plan yet for this coming winter?

Palmetto

Thank God!
I started them about a month ago, don't remember exactly.

White Borogu has made its way to Hawaii. I'm keeping my source confidential, because he doesn't want to ship lots of cuttings. My first source I disclosed on this forum last year. (Poki Fruit)

I sometimes drink heavies during the day, but mostly at night. I will mostly stop drinking them on weekdays.

I have a few different plans for this winter. But I believe I am better positioned to take care of them this winter than the previous winter I grew them.

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
I really want to get a few cuttings to try out here in Phoenix. I've got a watering system and about half the year, and based on temperature alone, it seems like kava could survive outdoors here. In case any of you farmers want to try a desert experiment...

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I really want to get a few cuttings to try out here in Phoenix. I've got a watering system and about half the year, and based on temperature alone, it seems like kava could survive outdoors here. In case any of you farmers want to try a desert experiment...
Kava plants grow best in high humidity so they won't be happy there, but it'd be an interesting experiment.

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
Kava plants grow best in high humidity so they won't be happy there, but it'd be an interesting experiment.
Yea, I recognize that. I imagine with proper watering it should be fine. There's a post floating around here of a guy from Phoenix that was growing wichmanii(or a similar variant) and it looked to be doing surprisingly well even outside. Without that post I would totally agree with you and think it's a complete pipe dream.