What's new

Recommended Stone prep...?

kl.Jman

Hey guys new to the forum and Kava.  Went to a Kava Bar in Asheville, NC for my first experience...it was a little on the "not what I was expecting side" however it was enough for me to try more as I did definitely feel some relaxing effects.  After that I ordered some Kava from the Kona Kava farm website (http://www.konakavafarm.com/) and it was completely "blah!".  I've tried a bajillion concentrations to try and experience some Kava effects like I read about, but so far nothing.  I'm getting to the end of my rope and about to write off Kava completely, but then I find you guys.  This is really the only place I've found that discusses different kinds of Kava (which I didn't know about until I found this site) and needless to say you guys have sparked my interest enough to try again.  So I bought some Stone from N@H a couple days ago...(hoping it will be here by the weekend).  I just want to make sure I do this experience right, and I was hoping for some preparation guidance from the pro's here so I can make sure I'm doing everything I should be for the best experience.  Should I get creative with the recipes (i.e. smoothies and such), or stick to purely traditional?
So with that said, discuss...
Oh and thx!
Jman

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
I typically drink 5-6 shells in a session, at 4 oz each that's 20-24 oz or up to 3 cups of liquid, that's a lot of smoothie to drink IMO. Granted, I always do it on an empty stomach to maximize effects (4-5 hours since previous meal) but even so. Any fruit or anything that you're going to put in it will only diminish the effects and interfere with absorption. You may want to use a different liquid at least for part of the liquid--coconut water, milk, orange juice--but until you confirm that you can get an effect, it's not worth messing around with the recipe too much.

kl.Jman

So how much Kava to the 3 cups?  I've seen where people do 1 cup Kava to 2-3 cups water/milk/whatever...is that typical?  Is that way too much stone?  That's specifically what I'm looking for (ratios) so I can make a good blend that will give me a good chance of having an effect; that said I don't want to get wasted (yet), just a nice Kava evening - you know something to make me want to keep coming back.  Thanks for the reply Gray Owl!
Jman

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
I typically measure by weight and use 60-65 grams and add water to bring it up to 700 ml. I think 60 grams would be about 2/3 to 3/4 cup, figure that's about 150 ml of the total volume that leaves 550 ml of liquid, which is about 2 1/4 cups of liquid. So, 2/3 to 3/4 cup kava to 2 1/4 cups water is about what I would do in a typical batch, the amount that is going to work for you is probably going to vary from that. Another thing for you to factor in at this point is the "reverse tolerance". If you're a real "hard head" you might need to drink kava a few days in a row until you get an effect, I'd recommend giving that a shot before you give up completely. The first week that I drank kava, I did it every day, I've relaxed a lot since then now it's usually 2-3 times a week, sometimes I kind of get sick of the taste and only do one session.

If you want to give it the best possible chance of working, you could try N@H's recipe of 1 cup kava to 2 cups of water, but hang on to the pulp after you strain it because you can definitely get another batch out of that. Some people will make a batch and save the pulp then when they've finished all those shells, make another batch with the same pulp right away and consume that--that approach makes sense because you're starting out with strong stuff, then once you're up to speed, then you're basically just maintaining it with a lower dose.

The density of kava can vary a lot from one strain to another and even one batch from the supplier to another. So, I think that weight gives me a more accurate measure of how much kava I am really using and a more level field for comparing one type of kava to another in terms of potency. Plus, kava is sold by weight, so if this becomes a habit, like it has for me, if you are doing things by weight, it gives you a better feel for which kava really gives you a better bang for your buck.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Like you I tried another kava that was "blah" before I got to Stone. I think I have a pretty high tolerance, and I'm a decent sized guy, but I do about half the amount of kava that the instructions say on the package. I'm a rookie, but my routine has been:
I heat up my tap water to reasonably hot, but not so hot it would hurt.1/2 cup kava to 2+ cups water.Put in in the fridge and let it soak over night.Get an empty stomach. I don't eat anything after around lunch and have a session around 8:00 (I'm probably more extreme than most on that).When I get home I take the kava out of the fridge, and let it sit for around 20 minutes because it hurts my hand if I squeeze it when it's that cold.Melt a little bit of soy lecithin granules in a bit of water and toss that in.Squeeze for 10-15 minutes in my fijian kava strainer.Sometimes I blend up the squeezed out kava in my food processor and give it another 5 minute go.Drink up the 4 shells with around 7 minute gaps because I'm just slightly too impatient to wait 10....
Profit

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
Ed said:
Like you I tried another kava that was "blah" before I got to Stone. I think I have a pretty high tolerance, and I'm a decent sized guy, but I do about half the amount of kava that the instructions say on the package. I'm a rookie, but my routine has been:
I heat up my tap water to reasonably hot, but not so hot it would hurt.1/2 cup kava to 2+ cups water.Put in in the fridge and let it soak over night.Get an empty stomach. I don't eat anything after around lunch and have a session around 8:00 (I'm probably more extreme than most on that).When I get home I take the kava out of the fridge, and let it sit for around 20 minutes because it hurts my hand if I squeeze it when it's that cold.Melt a little bit of soy lecithin granules in a bit of water and toss that in.Squeeze for 10-15 minutes in my fijian kava strainer.Sometimes I blend up the squeezed out kava in my food processor and give it another 5 minute go.Drink up the 4 shells with around 7 minute gaps because I'm just slightly too impatient to wait 10....
Profit
Heh, I think the main purpose of the 10 minutes is to avoid nausea from the kavalactones spiking in your bloodstream too quickly, especially DHM, I ended bumping it up to 12 minutes.  In the traditional environments, I've heard that about 20-30 minutes between shells is more typical.  If you're a n00b I think the point is to make sure that you don't overdo it, but once you get into the routine you should have a pretty good idea beforehand how much you are going to need for a decent session vs. what is going to make you sick.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I did throw up once, so apparently the 7 minutes isn't always enough for me.

kl.Jman

So I received my order of "Stone" today, made a batch this afternoon and let it marinate in the fridge until this evening.  I made the 2/3 cup to 2 1/4 cups ratio (mainly just because it was an easier method for me now, as I don't have a scale) and I must say "Stone" is definetly better than the Kona Kava farm stuff.  This stuff numbed my mouth and throat for about 5 minutes before it started to wear off.  I started drinking the stuff around 9:00, had about 4 - 4 ounce shots and I'm still rocking the feeling.  Started out like a nice, warm tingle across my forehead and into my extremities, then it progressed to a full on intoxicating effect much like alcohol but without the drunken stupor, or nausea that usually goes with alcohol.  The sedating effects were very potent at first and I went to sleep almost right away, however my couch sux something bad and I didn't stay asleep very long.  Now I'm wide awake, but still very "chill".  I'm liking stone, and this is definetly making me want to try more Kava...however the taste is dreadful...lol.  Is it an acquired taste or is there some sort of trick with dealing with the taste?  
Thanks again for the help guys, I really appreciate it!
J.

kavalover

Outsider
It's an acquired taste for some. Personally I hated the taste at first, but I've grown to really enjoy it. I still make a crazy face and make strange "blahh" sounds after chugging shells, but it's a good kind of bad taste now, whereas before it was a bad kind of bad taste. lol. For others it seems they never get used to it. I suppose it just depends on how you adapt to it.

If you consistently don't like the stuff, you could always do what I do and cut some fresh fruit or get out some starbursts or potato chips. Something very light but with dominating tastes to chew on after chugging some kava. It works well, just watch how much you eat as to not slow absorption too much.

Also, it's worth it to add that stone is pretty heavy in terms of taste already. Depending on the kavalactone profiles you enjoy most (if you like higher DHM or higher Kavain kavas ect) then I would recommend getting a Hawaiian kava next. Preferably paradise kavas mahakea if they still have it. I remember that stuff almost being sweet tasting, it was nice. If they don't have it anymore, though, this forum is rich with info on tastes of different kavas.

kl.KarmaG

Kava Enthusiast
I really enjoy the taste of kava, but have experimented with mixing it up with other beverages for a different kind of flavor. I wasn't all that excited about my results when I mixed it with fruit juices, but I did find it pretty tasty when mixed with chocolate almond milk or horchata. They're sweet enough that you don't need to dilute it a whole bunch and I found both combos really tasty. Just a couple of suggestions if you just can't stand the flavor of kava alone.

kl.Flank

Kava Curious
Gray Owl said:
Ed wrote:Like you I tried another kava that was "blah" before I got to Stone. I think I have a pretty high tolerance, and I'm a decent sized guy, but I do about half the amount of kava that the instructions say on the package. I'm a rookie, but my routine has been:I heat up my tap water to reasonably hot, but not so hot it would hurt.1/2 cup kava to 2+ cups water.Put in in the fridge and let it soak over night.Get an empty stomach. I don't eat anything after around lunch and have a session around 8:00 (I'm probably more extreme than most on that).When I get home I take the kava out of the fridge, and let it sit for around 20 minutes because it hurts my hand if I squeeze it when it's that cold.Melt a little bit of soy lecithin granules in a bit of water and toss that in.Squeeze for 10-15 minutes in my fijian kava strainer.Sometimes I blend up the squeezed out kava in my food processor and give it another 5 minute go.Drink up the 4 shells with around 7 minute gaps because I'm just slightly too impatient to wait 10....ProfitHeh, I think the main purpose of the 10 minutes is to avoid nausea from the kavalactones spiking in your bloodstream too quickly, especially DHM, I ended bumping it up to 12 minutes.  In the traditional environments, I've heard that about 20-30 minutes between shells is more typical.  If you're a n00b I think the point is to make sure that you don't overdo it, but once you get into the routine you should have a pretty good idea beforehand how much you are going to need for a decent session vs. what is going to make you sick.  
So spacing it out helps with nausea??  That is great news, that has been my biggest issue so far.

I've had a couple a vomits related to Stone. It typically happens when I've had consecutive days of sessions. It is true, "You must respect kava". Do that, and you will be carried away on a cloud of bliss.