What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Research: Anti-cancer through stress reduction with kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Anti-cancer through stress reduction with kava.

Cancer can be caused by a multitude of different scenarios; however, this study focuses on the function of stress hormones and their causative role in lung cancer, and how kavalactones inhibits some of these effects. Psychological stress has been best known for the release of neuronal hormones such as norepinephrine. Norepinephrine (NE) binds to and activates receptors known as “adrenergic receptors” or AR. The binding of NE to AR induces intracellular calcium influx which activates downstream signaling pathways involved in both stress and cancer development. In this study they were able to show that all 6 major kavalactones play a role in inhibiting norepinephrine-induced calcium influx, with DHK being the most potent and DHM being the least. The table included in the picture shows the different kavalactones with concentrations and their effect on NE-induced intracellular influx. These results continue to lend evidence to emerging research of kava as an anti-cancer agent.

fotd12021.jpg

Botello JF, Corral P, Bian T, Xing C. Kava and its Kavalactones Inhibit Norepinephrine-induced Intracellular Calcium Influx in Lung Cancer Cells. Planta Med. 2020 Jan;86(1):26-31. doi: 10.1055/a-1035-5183. Epub 2019 Nov 11. Erratum in: Planta Med. 2020 Jan;86(1):e2. PMID: 31711251.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Stress kills. Everyone needs a whole toolbox to deal with it. I think people that use avoidance, deference, projection, and just bottle it all up inside are the most prone to stress-related ulcers and cancers. I'm glad to have CBD, meditation, kava, and long walks in the mountains with family in my arsenal to fight stress head on. Oh, and Rock Band 3 :p

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Cortisol as well, the main stress hormone our bodies produce I believe, in direct response to: stress, anger, fear, worry, anxiety and pain.

Cortisol acts like rocket fuel for pathogenic infections.

Hundreds of times, having had permanent respiratory infections, many hundreds of all descriptions, and levels of severity, I have too many times observed the uncanny link between me getting angry or boiled over, and the level of respiratory infection present going up be a 4 fold margin in just minutes.

I don't know if it is an instant response to a sudden spike in Cortisol, or other stress hormone levels, but that may be the mechanism.

But in relation to this- Kava can help to reduce or clear anger, anxiety, worry and pain.

I expect Cancer would make good use and fuel out of elevated cortisol levels too. And unbeknown to mosy, in very many cases, cancer is actually driven by an underlying virus, often going undetected by mainstream. And very commonly the neurological based Coxsackie viruses.

Viruses are evil and feed off of stress, negative emotions and low mood. So kava, by improving this aspect, may help indirectly with Cancer's aggressiveness, by giving Viruses less of a free run.