What's new

reverse tolerance or no response or...

Pummeluff

Kava Enthusiast
Hi! :shy:
I am quite unsure ... I thought I would be in the reverse tolerance because I achieve after 9 days kava no positive effects. But since the first moment I feel that what flows through my body. It tingles in the body and rushes into the ears. Is that normal? But without that I get a BEAUTIFUL feeling.
Others wrote that they did not feel ANYTHING in the reverse tolerance.

I just took 5 teaspoons of micro loa waka wanted to make a strong drink. But the tingling and this "drunken" feeling were only stronger.

I was already told that it could lie on the kava. But I can not really believe it.

Do not know what to do. I am really sad (n)

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
What is your question?

It can take a while before people notice effects, other than the tingling, especially depending on how much you drink, how often, other factors like when you eat. I drank kava for two weeks before I noticed any effects, my friend went three weeks before any effects, and my wife went a whole month before noticing any effects, but even then the really big effects didn't kick in for us until after 3 - 4 months of regular every day use.

The tingling or numbing is just an immediate effect that wears off quickly and shows you it really is kava and that it's reasonably fresh or "active." A "drunken" feeling would indicate you've had too much at one time.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I don't really know. I'm new here, myself. What I told my wife and my friend was to plan on a month of low dosage every day before they give up.

I suspect that one's body has to get used to the kavalactones, that the receptors in our body need to be trained to adapt to them, and this takes time. One thing that all three of us did was after weeks of low dosage to prep our bodies, we then used a larger dose to trigger finally feeling strong effects. In my case, I stayed at the higher dosage, for pleasure. But in my wife and my friend's case, they used the trigger to make their body more receptive, then went back to the lower dose, just for the general beneficial effects, rather than the specific pleasure one can have from an episode of drinking a strong dose. In each case we achieved this by slowly titrating upwards till we got a pleasant krunk effect. Starting with a 2 tablespoon dose, then 2 1/2 TBS, then 3, etc. For my wife and my friend their sweet spot was at 3 TBS, but in my case it was 4. I think it's probably different for different people because our bodies are different, some people are more sensitive to kavalactones than others. Things like height and weight and sex seem to have nothing to do with that, unlke with alcohol or other drugs, though, more like just specific individual body chemistry.

I could be wrong about all of this, however. This is just my impression of what our experiences have been.

I think there are also some people out there for whom kava does absolutely nothing, so really all one can do is give it a good try before giving up, but if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. And of course, if one has a bad experience or an abreaction, one should stop immediately.

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
I would try a different kava. Loa waka works great for some people but I have never had much luck with it and I have given it many chances. But even after drinking loa waka and not feeling anything besides a bit of energy, I drink another kava that I know works well with me and everything is great. Nothing against loa waka and KWK, great company and I love their Borogu a whole lot! There are just some kava's that don't do a whole lot for me, but you never know until you try them.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I am quite unsure ... I thought I would be in the reverse tolerance because I achieve after 9 days kava no positive effects. But since the first moment I feel that what flows through my body. It tingles in the body and rushes into the ears. Is that normal? But without that I get a BEAUTIFUL feeling.

I just took 5 teaspoons of micro loa waka wanted to make a strong drink. But the tingling and this "drunken" feeling were only stronger.

I was already told that it could lie on the kava. But I can not really believe it.

What is it that you are trying to achieve? You mentioned a drunken like feeling so it seems as though you are feeling something. As Pepppery suggested trying a different kava might heed better results on what you are going after. Kava is an amazing plant that can give many different effects based solely on the "type," for a lack of a better term.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
As far as reverse tolerance goes, I probably went through pounds of kava before achieving a very strong effect. I never had much luck with the micronised powders either but I tried those when I first started. Traditional prep is absolutely the way to go if you can spare the time to prepare it.

PepperyPyrone

Get yourself an AluBall and some medium grind Mahakea from GHK, maybe some others can give some good ideas for sure fire kava's to get you over this slump. KWK also has the borogu in micronized form if you are completely opposed to traditional prep, that's a really good balanced kava. I have both micronized and medium grind KWK borogu and I prefer the medium grind much more and only use the micronized for convenience on trips, etc. But like Dr. Krunk said, once you experience medium grind you will see. Squanch waka and lawena are two others that if they don't do something to you then you need to get your DNA sequenced. When The Kava Roots gets the Tongan Family Reserve back in stock, get some of that. If that stuff doesn't launch you into orbit, nothing else will, IMO.

verticity

I'm interested in things

Not everyone experiences reverse tolerance. I didn't.
I am not quite sure what the problem is. You say you get "a beautiful feeling" except for some tingling? Is that a problem? Or am I not understanding what you mean?
Loa Waka is a very strong kava, and with kava in general oftentimes "more" is not "better". Kava is kind of subtle. Sometimes it just seems to not work. And if you drink more it can give you a bit of a "drunken" feeling, but without losing the ability to think clearly. Maybe this is just a case of "less is more". You may find that if you drink a little kava every day that your general anxiety level comes down.

PepperyPyrone

I like the tingles. And the Krunk, yeah I guess I read that wrong, I thought you were not feeling the effects of kava like you used to. Ha! Shit, you don't have reverse tolerance. But I still highly suggest trying a few other types to see what vibe you like best, and definitely try medium grind with an AluBall if you want to get the true kava experience. I don't think I went through a reverse tolerance either, but there was a lag in sensitivity to it, and that all quickly changed once I started trying many different kinds. I think it really works your brain into gear for being receptive to the kava.

Pummeluff

Kava Enthusiast
Thank for your lovely answers.

@Krunkie
Yes, that everyone has a different body chemistry, I know. I have tried so many psychopharma, which worked wonders with others and not with me at all.
So I put all my hopes in kava.

And my insecurity is that I just feel the kava, but without any NICE effects. The tingling does not bother me now. I expect a nice relaxation and an anti anxiety effect.
I hope you understand what I mean. difficult to explain.

And I've already reserved the malekula magic a while ago, I'm still waiting. I also ordered an aluball.

I am new as well. Went through a whole pound. My final time i drank a whole bunch and all i ended up feeling was dizzy/nausea... Nothing at all straight to feeling sick after spending like 60 bucks on two seperate half pounds.

I give up.

K@ was the same for me. Tried different kinds. Only felt nothing, then if i got a high dose then nausea..

I also never felt body buzzes from pain killers. Something with my body chemistry seems to resist muscle body relaxing drugs

N

Noname

Switch from heady kava to body kava. Or maybe from body kava to another type of body kava. Etc.. That should do it

Kaptain Kava

Kava Curious
Yeah it took me several attempts before noticing much but I hate the micro mixed and instant because I get nausea before anything else is noticeable. A good potent strain like Tongan family reserve or dua na bilo for example have been very profound for me. Strain definetly differentiates and how many years the kava plant lived before harvest.

Pummeluff

Kava Enthusiast
It does not change .. I do not believe that it is the reverse tolerance. Rather think it is the loa waka, as you think
but i never read that one person has a "immunity" against a sort

KavaCat

Meow.
I think you're still in reverse tolerance. If you have to ask, it's almost surely that. 9 days isn't anything. I had to go through a whole pound of root before I started to be sure I was feeling anything, and that was only when I started to feel something. That took me about a month. It wasn't distinct and potent until I had gone through more like 2-3 lbs. Now I can go months without kava and it still works. Just keep going with it, it's got a great payoff. I would also not try to increase my quantity, stick to like 1/4c of medium grind per day. I would also move away from micro and instant kavas. They aren't nearly as potent as medium grind, traditionally prepared kava, for some reason. Strain does matter, like everyone's pointing out, but the least potent medium grind I've had still outdoes the most potent micronized I've had, and blows all the instants I've had out of the water. Once you get your Borogu, hopefully you got the medium grind and that will help a lot.

Kava is not something where dose matters that much. I mean, of course it matters, but when you're going through reverse tolerance, you can't really bully your body into feeling it much more. I can't remember the exact explanation, but someone here once explained that as you get used to kava, your body is building more.. GABA receptors or something to that effect. Essentially, your brain and body have to build connections you don't currently have. You CAN drink a heavy dose and feel something, but as you notice, it's not necessarily pleasant. It's not the same experience as someone who has had kava many times, drinking even a moderate amount. It's like the difference between an experienced adult drinker, who sips a shot or two of good whiskey a few hours after dinner, and a college kid, who eats a big double cheeseburger and a pack of fries, immediately goes to the bar, and pounds down seven shots of the cheapest well liquor in under ten minutes, because he's "not feeling it". (He both had a full stomach and didn't give his body time to respond to the alcohol.) And then wondering why, in an hour or so, he feels absolutely trashed. It's kind of the same thing; your body needs time to learn to use kava, and only long, long experience is going to get you to where you need to be. You can drink yourself sick on kava in order to feel "something" but the something you get isn't the thing you're looking for, and is probably greatly overwhelmed by nausea, dizziness, etc.

TLDR; More is not better, patience is key, use medium grind, keep going.

Last edited: