What's new

Kava FAQ Reverse Tolerance Poll

How long did RT last for you before you "broke through"?

• 1-5 days

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • 5-10 days (~1-1.5 weeks)

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 10-15 days (~1.5-2 weeks)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 15-20 days (~2-3 weeks)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 20-25 days (~3-3.5 weeks)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25-30 days (~1 month)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • 30-45 days (1-1.5 months)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 45-60 days (2-2.5 months)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 60 days (2 months)

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Naijomii

Kava Curious
Hi , I usually just read and don't say much but I'm still trying to feel anything at all from kava. The first time I tried it I initially felt the numbing in my mouth and a bit elated and light headed for about 30 minutes and that was with an instant type, but since then absolutely nothing. I have tried traditional prep method with melomelo and my husband and friends that have tried it a few times with me say it is working for them but still I can't seem feel anything at all from it.

Over the past month I've tried the candies, instant powder type, capsules and the melomelo one in the traditional preparation way, massaging/kneading for around 20 minutes with a strong mix. I even tried adding a bit of milk. Nothing. If I ever do break through I'll add to your poll but its getting very discouraging right now. I will continue to keep trying it at least until my supplies run out since I got a few types from different places in hopes that one will finally work for me. I'm really hoping it will .

Sorry in advance if I'm not making much sense but its 530 am right now and insomnia is kicking my butt again.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
If I am going to bed barely able to walk and waking up with a hangover (micronized - 4 tablespoons of m'oi in 32 ounces; 1 tablespoon of waka in 8 ounces of water), have I officially broken through RT or am I just getting sick? At least it's not like an alcohol hangover.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
I felt it the first time. I turned my bowling team on to kava, along with five guys at my work, who are now somewhat regular kava drinkers. Every one of them that fasted with me, was lucky enough to feel it from the get-go. Maybe it's something in the water where we live? I'm certainly not saying RT isn't real, but I do feel quality/variety of root, prep technique, FASTING, set and setting, and expectations play a bigger role than individual body chemistry.

Jade

Love. Like. Crazy.
@Pacifico Kava is a diuretic and can make one dehydrated and feel yucky if one is not drinking plenty of water before and after consumption. I had much the same symptoms and staying well hydrated helped a lot. So you might try that and see what happens.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I don't think you're quite there yet, @Pacifico. You're getting part of the effects, but not the whole tomato.

@Naijomii just hang in there. Keep consuming it. Eventually you'll break through. Sorry you're having a long RT period, that sucks. Mine was about 2 weeks before I got to my "AHA!" moment. During that time I was convinced that it either didn't work at all, was too subtle for me to notice, didn't work with my body chemistry or was too "herbal" to make a difference for me. And then a few days later the lid opened up on my universe and I discovered a bigger, better universe outside it.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
So
I don't think you're quite there yet, @Pacifico. You're getting part of the effects, but not the whole tomato.

@Naijomii just hang in there. Keep consuming it. Eventually you'll break through. Sorry you're having a long RT period, that sucks. Mine was about 2 weeks before I got to my "AHA!" moment. During that time I was convinced that it either didn't work at all, was too subtle for me to notice, didn't work with my body chemistry or was too "herbal" to make a difference for me. And then a few days later the lid opened up on my universe and I discovered a bigger, better universe outside it.
Some confusing stuff! I couldn't stand up last night before bed. I have to figure out the line between euphoria and being messed up.

Naijomii

Kava Curious
Thanks Steve, I'm making more tomorrow night for a group of friends to try, and the one that started with me who has already fallen in love with the way it helps her relax. Just kind of a bummer she is ahead of me when I got her to try it but c'est la vie , what can you do :) I will keep trying for a while longer, I honestly do not think I could be immune to its effects with so many positive comments around on the boards and such. I know I have an unusually high tolerance to most meds ( both rx and otc) like Novocain (need double shots or more and wears off completely in 20-30 mins), antibiotics, allergy pills, Tylenol etc. I have always been that way. So the way I see it that might mean a longer then normal time until it works at all for me. My doctor is a firm believer in going natural over medications just as I am so I'm keeping my fingers crossed here, who knows maybe tomorrow night will be the magic number night.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Thanks Steve, I'm making more tomorrow night for a group of friends to try, and the one that started with me who has already fallen in love with the way it helps her relax. Just kind of a bummer she is ahead of me when I got her to try it but c'est la vie , what can you do :) I will keep trying for a while longer, I honestly do not think I could be immune to its effects with so many positive comments around on the boards and such. I know I have an unusually high tolerance to most meds ( both rx and otc) like Novocain (need double shots or more and wears off completely in 20-30 mins), antibiotics, allergy pills, Tylenol etc. I have always been that way. So the way I see it that might mean a longer then normal time until it works at all for me. My doctor is a firm believer in going natural over medications just as I am so I'm keeping my fingers crossed here, who knows maybe tomorrow night will be the magic number night.
When you have your "AHA!" moment, please post copious notes!

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I have had four tbsp of Mahakea tonight and I only feel like I have had too much beer. So confused...

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Early on, if my stomach wasn't completely empty, and I drank more and more trying to feel it, I would get sick before any sort of pleasurable sensation. Even to this day if drink too much too fast, or drink more than normal because my stomach isn't empty, I get nauseous as hell and want it to stop. Especially with well rounded-heavy root. Heady root, not so much. I am a firm believer of having a completely empty stomach, being away from loud noise, bright lights, excessive stimulation, and making sure not to consume too much too fast until one understands what kava has to offer for them.

Naijomii

Kava Curious
I Will do just that Steve! I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow since its girls night at a friends home while our hubbies go play cards or whatever someplace else. Guess that's when you know you have all been married a while :LOL: but most of our group have been friends over 30 years now so it really is nice to just hang out , chat and have a few drinks ... mine of course being the kava I'll bring.

Johnny Frye

It's all about supply and command
I actually thought I broke my RT my second day when I tried toss and wash, but it's been 5 days since then of 2-6tbs a day (blended then kneaded for 5 or so minutes) and I've had little to no results.

Tonight I'm going to try blending, kneading AND then tossing and washing a good 4tbs of Mo'i. I'll post my results shortly.