What's new

Reverse Tolerance

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
You know, I'm no expert but I have a theory on reverse tolerance. The half-lives of the non-kavain kavalactones are VERY long, so with everyday use these kavalactones will build up in the system to levels even higher than you can get with one large session. There is also an "entourage" effect, presumably, when these kavalactones are present that causes Kavain to reach exponentially higher levels in the brain, and this may apply to Yangonin as well. So, after some accumulation of those other potentiating but not necessarily as "important" kavalactones, the desirable ones are able to finally get into the brain so to speak.

Just thought I'd share my theory. For anyone interested and not already having this knowledge, half-lives are the rate of metabolism of a drug or, in this case, a kavalactone. If I'm correct, a half-life means that the substance is metabolized by half for every given amount of time that passes.

So, reverse tolerance probably can be broken through on one's first try if they drink enough Kava, because even with the first time you still get all the kavalactones. It's just that Kavain, in research, seems to be the hardest kavalactone to reach the brain and can't really "get there" without the other kavalactones.

It does have to do with the very long half-lives of non-kavain kavalactones, but I think it has more to do with the fact that they are potent liver enzyme inhibitors. Because the liver enzymes are inhibited, more of the substance gets into the bloodstream and stays longer. You may need to consume less, or get "more" from the same amount, simply because more is getting past the liver and into the bloodstream.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
You know, I'm no expert but I have a theory on reverse tolerance. The half-lives of the non-kavain kavalactones are VERY long, so with everyday use these kavalactones will build up in the system to levels even higher than you can get with one large session. There is also an "entourage" effect, presumably, when these kavalactones are present that causes Kavain to reach exponentially higher levels in the brain, and this may apply to Yangonin as well. So, after some accumulation of those other potentiating but not necessarily as "important" kavalactones, the desirable ones are able to finally get into the brain so to speak.

Just thought I'd share my theory. For anyone interested and not already having this knowledge, half-lives are the rate of metabolism of a drug or, in this case, a kavalactone. If I'm correct, a half-life means that the substance is metabolized by half for every given amount of time that passes.

So, reverse tolerance probably can be broken through on one's first try if they drink enough Kava, because even with the first time you still get all the kavalactones. It's just that Kavain, in research, seems to be the hardest kavalactone to reach the brain and can't really "get there" without the other kavalactones.
Definitely agree with essentially everything you said and I’ve stood with that opinion for a while. It’s more of a build up in the body verses an actual tolerance, either way reverse-tolerance is quicker to say and less confusing to others to understand. Maybe there is some studies to support an actual reverse-tolerance factor but seems that most of the reverse-tolerance opinions come from regular users feedback as opposed to studies. There’s definitely something there but a build of Kavalactones within the body seems more practical to me. @MitigatingMisery might be on to something there too.

BaySailor

Kava Curious
Think that’s happening here.

I’ve been in ‘loading’ phase for about a week now, having the prior night’s 3rd wash (2 Alumaballs) midmorning after coffee, then 2 balls fresh and 2nd wash before dinner. I don’t measure, just fill the balls halfway. Really not getting much of a tangible effect except for maybe 20 minutes after drinking. Otherwise, just a calm, chill evening. Would like to intensify the effects a bit, though.

Any suggestions?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!

I’ve been in ‘loading’ phase for about a week now, having the prior night’s 3rd wash (2 Alumaballs) midmorning after coffee, then 2 balls fresh and 2nd wash before dinner. I don’t measure, just fill the balls halfway. Really not getting much of a tangible effect except for maybe 20 minutes after drinking. Otherwise, just a calm, chill evening. Would like to intensify the effects a bit, though.

Any suggestions?
You really should use more. I personally wouldn't feel much at all at that dose. Often times people think it's reverse tolerance but it's improper prep, too low of a dose or weak product.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Good to know. More in the balls, or more balls/multiple times?
I really don't use the Aluball but you should measure the amount your putting in to get a better idea. If you're not getting the effects you want, you should try doing a traditional prep using 6-8 Tbsp with 2-2.5 cups of water and space the shells 15-30 minutes apart and adjust quantity of root to water volume to shell spacing until you get the effects you want. Too much water, too little root and shells spaced too far apart will lead to a less than desirable experience if you really want to feel the effects. I wouldn't do much experimenting in the morning until you know how it will effect you.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

Any suggestions?
at home I rigidly and exactly measure the grind into my AluBalls. At work, I just chuck some in and go "ehhh, s'awright." To be honest I haven't really noticed much difference to either approach except that they both feel good and appropriate in their respective contexts.