What's new

Room temperature VS warm VS Boiling

N

Noname

which one would extract the most kavalactones or anything else you hav in mind

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Boiling extracts the most, but makes the taste worse. I compromise and use hot water (approx 130 F, if @Rick.Sanchez means Celsius then the same as him...)
I only tried this once :yuck: never again, comes out all thick and nasty, Ice cold is the way to go but I knead with warm water.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
which one would extract the most kavalactones or anything else you hav in mind
If you can handle extra fiber in your diet there's no need for extraction, you can simply ingest all of them. Find a very fine ground kava. RealKava.com's Special Reserve Blue label or their 5 Star are my favorites for this method. A good splash of olive oil (I use Olive Ranch's everday) 4oz. cold water 1 heaping tablespoon kava powder . Blend for a couple minutes and glup! About twice the kavalactones of any other method. Not for everybody but a bite of chocolate goes a long way to stave of nausea.

Palmetto

Thank God!
I am an oddball in that I don't like kava anything colder than room temp. I also do about 5 washes on a single batch, but I usually mix the last one with a new batch. Spread the bacteria I always say! I'm in a kava funk right now. I don't do it as much for enjoyment, but rather I just drink it to get through my current miserable job until I start my new job this summer. If my wife were reasonable, I would start my much better new job next month, but that won't happen. I'm pushing it back until August or September.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I've never liked the taste after using warm water, I just use cold and accept the fact I might not be getting the most out of my root but at least it tastes nice.
Yes - using hot tap water when I do traditional prep makes the brew much more bitter than cold water. I also find hot water prep to make a much heavier kava than cold water. I am only guessing that hot water extracts out more of the "heavy" KLs.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
I tried boiling water with a fijian waka. Intolerably vile taste for me. Discarded the whele stuff. No sheen for zee palâte.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've never liked the taste after using warm water, I just use cold and accept the fact I might not be getting the most out of my root but at least it tastes nice.
It won't taste much different since you add milk, it's worth the warm water prep, you might as well get the most kl's for your buck.