What's new

RT or carbamazepine interactions?

Stephanie12

Herbalist
This is practically my first time posting on here, so please let me know if I’m not doing it correctly. Although I currently don’t buy Kava to treat my own medical conditions because that isn’t legal for humans where I live, after tapering my dog off his benzos for his epilepsy, I am ready to try him again on it. He didn’t respond to it before and I thought it was due to the other drug he’s taking for seizures, carbamazepine. But today I just found out about RT, and think maybe I didn’t wait long enough. What do you guys think, RT or drug interference? Does anyone have experience with taking carbamazepine and Kava simultaneously?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is practically my first time posting on here, so please let me know if I’m not doing it correctly. Although I currently don’t buy Kava to treat my own medical conditions because that isn’t legal for humans where I live, after tapering my dog off his benzos for his epilepsy, I am ready to try him again on it. He didn’t respond to it before and I thought it was due to the other drug he’s taking for seizures, carbamazepine. But today I just found out about RT, and think maybe I didn’t wait long enough. What do you guys think, RT or drug interference? Does anyone have experience with taking carbamazepine and Kava simultaneously?
Not a doctor, but it seems this medication works at least in part similarly to how kava works at the sodium channels, so I'm not sure you're getting a pharmacodynamic reaction there. Initial tolerance is where you have a hard time feeling it at first. For some this is a very real thing. For others they feel it from the start. Kava is occasionally something we have to work for.

"Carbamazepine's mechanism of action is not fully elucidated and is widely debated.5 One major hypothesis is that carbamazepine inhibits sodium channel firing, treating seizure activity. Animal research studies have demonstrated that carbamazepine exerts its effects by lowering polysynaptic nerve response and inhibiting post-tetanic potentiation. In both cats and rats, carbamazepine was shown to decrease pain caused by infraorbital nerve stimulation. A decrease in the action potential in the nucleus ventralis of the thalamus in the brain and inhibition of the lingual mandibular reflex were observed in other studies after carbamazepine use. Carbamazepine causes the above effects by binding to voltage-dependent sodium channels and preventing action potentials, which normally lead to stimulatory effects on nerves.8,15 In bipolar disorder, carbamazepine is thought to increase dopamine turnover and increase GABA transmission, treating manic and depressive symptoms."