What's new

Sacred Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
For many of us here at Kava Forums, we use Kava on a daily basis. We go through our daily routines of waking up, having some coffee/mate,(and Kava for many) go to work, come home, and then wind down with a few shells. But there are also many who use Kava as a tool, as inspiration for self-discovery, for spiritual growth, and to ponder the mysteries of the universe.
How do you separate casual use from spiritual use? Here is my personal method, that is still being developed and perfected:
*Note that I gather all needed supplies for my Kava time so I don't have to interrupt my ritual. (Bowls, gloves, prepared, stocking/strainer bag of Kava, hot water, cup of ice, candles etc.)
**My ritual always begins in the evening.
  • To begin, I find a nice quiet place for my little ritual. Preferably outside in a natural setting, but if the weather does not permit it, I usually sit in my bedroom where I can close my door and turn down the lights.
  • Pour hot water over Kava strainer so it has a few minutes to soak while preparing the area.
  • Light a candle/oil lamp and some nice mellow incense.
  • Turn on some music that gets me in the mood to meditate (usually Shpongle, check them out you will love them)
  • Close eyes and start kneading the first wash, almost in a trance like state for 10-20 minutes.
  • After icing the Kava, I have a few shells back to back; I find a topic to think about, such as the interaction and relationships between plants and animals, or connect all the dots I see and become aware of, and consider how all things connect to one another.
  • Then I knead a second wash, turn off the music, and become aware of my surroundings; I sit in silence taking in the view, or sometimes close my eyes and clear my mind, until the Kava is gone, or I feel that I've had enough.
  • I end the session by raising the last shell into the air, looking towards to skies, and saying Bula! Drink the last shell, turn on the lights, and as I am cleaning up my mess, I reflect on how the ritual/session made me feel; I carry that glow with me until I go to bed.
This is not something I do on a daily basis, I do not want to cheapen the experience by making it a part of my daily routine.
If you use Kava in a spiritual context, I would love to hear about your experiences, your rituals, or your traditions. And if any of you dress in full-shaman attire, donning a drum, stomping around a bonfire while chanting, you get bonus points!!! (I wont lie, I do this myself once in a blue moon ::happyshell::)

Last edited:

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
While I have not used kava with this much ceremony I do see the value in it and may one day try. I agree with the kapm about the prep being cathartic...when I first heard of what was involved with traditional prep I stuck with micronized and instant kavas. Traditional prep sounded like a pain. Once I tried it I immediately found something very relaxing about the process. Something about squishing a bag of root in warm water is very calming. I look forward to an evening when I know I will have the time to do it and can totally see how it can tie into a meditation ritual.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
I feel that I should also say its not necessarily about doing a traditional preparation. A sacred space for Kava can be created in any way you feel fit. Maybe there is a special bowl or vessel you use, or some may dedicate their experience to a certain purpose. The simple lighting of a candle could add much value to a simple process of an Aluball prep. Is there a dedicated area that you use kava? Do you have your Kava and utensils/shells on display, instead of putting it in a cupboard? Pictures are welcome. No rules here. I also understand that not everyone feels the need to use Kava in a spiritual or enlightening context.
I am very eager to incorporate my Kava use into my passion for the outdoors and camping. This spring, I will be going camping a lot, and I would love to have a sacred Kava circle with a few of my open minded friends around a campfire. The use of water collected straight from a flowing spring would be a nice experience, and give even more energy to the Kava.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Your mention of camping reminds me of the best kava experience I have had. A few weeks after I committed to replacing daily alcohol consumption with kava my wife, daughter and I went backpacking. A 10 mile loop in Hoosier National Forest. I headed out very worried about not being able to enjoy my flask of bourbon around the evening fire as had become tradition on camping trips. That evening after my wife and daughter retired to the tent I mixed up some instant (I think it was GHK Moi) and proceeded to imbibe from my backpacking hammock (ultralight hammock = the best thing that has ever happened to backpacking). Sometime into my second or third shell a group of barred owls started up a conversation, they had me surrounded! There I lay, happy on kava, watching the fire dance and listening to the owls talk. It was a spiritual kava moment that I had not even planned. I felt like I was truly a part of the scene, not just an observer. The woods, the fire, the owls and me, all one living thing. It was really a magical moment that these words probably don't property describe. If you've never enjoyed kava alone, or at least in silent company while fully immersed in nature I highly recommend it. My avatar is a photo of the campfire from that night.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yes ! I've been turning towards this alot . I'm still working on a set up. For now though, what I've been doing is simply shaking the aluball with joy. Being fully gratefull for the kava I'm shaking and holding that knowing as it happens.. if more joy keeps pouring out I keep shaking. Why not?
There is something very sacred about being in the wilderness or socially secluded with just a plant spirit and nature. Jesus did it. Lao tzu left just because he felt like it ;) haha. And shamans from time immemorial have gone on "vision quests" which is this precisely with the inclusion of "dieta" to better facilitate the plant spirit.
This is something that is part of the sacred space... every food and drink you ingest enters your body the same way the plant spirits do... your body then is a space for the kava... knowing which foods kava "prefers" may be more important than eating or not eating... clearing a sacred space in the body is a classic form of ceremony and is very important with plant teachers. (Who knows what when or how much or even at all ) but I think it's worth exploring, I definitley find some foods less kava blocking than others. Although at the moment I couldn't really rememeber which hahah.

Sorry I'm ranting here, but I enjoy this thread profusley so far.. I think we can all agree .. being in nature is just as good as a sacred space

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
@Sam Handwich that was a magical story! I love how you described your experience, I felt like I was there with you, listening to the wise owls. Being alone with Kava is the only way I have used it. I am man of few friends, and usually spend my days in solitude.
@Mrbinx69 I would love to have a shamanic vision quest, using Kava as an aid. In my opinion, being immersed in nature is as sacred as life gets. There is nothing more special than being a part of this world in its truest rawest form.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Any plant or tree or animal can show you the way back home. Remind you of the planet in its raw form as well.
You simply look at the plant or flower, without labels... seeing it as it is.. allowing this moment to be . What arises is the realization that earth is not a "concrete jungle" as marley puts it.. but the pre "eden" paradise that existed before ego.
You don't need to spend time in the woods to connect with that state of earth . Just use whatever nature around you including the bare ground to sense earth itself as a whole unified being

Status
Not open for further replies.