What's new

Kava Preparation Salt Kava

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Bula.

Tonight, I have accomplished an intention. I made kava with salt water.

The idea came suddenly. I thought of how rarely I sweeten kava. That perhaps the only occasions were when I tried Nene with Hawaiian honey, after reading that infants were soothed with that preparation.

It was last year when I tried fresh frozen (Pu'u O Hoku ranch) Nene with honey. I was tasting some delicious stuff, and although interesting, I still preferred it cold and unsweet.

Honey balances fructose and glucose in the blood, and also has B vitamins.

Salt prevents dehydration, it's an electrolyte. Electrolytes such as potassium, magnesium and sodium help us keep water in our body. Salt may also imrove the flavor of root vegetables, like beets, onions, and potatoes, which I find are also complemented by oil or butter.

I have made the most delicious buttered grog in the past, it smelled good while cooking that.

Kava cake, where my technique is to heat coconut oil (180-190f) and knead a large amount - as much as the oil supports- about sixteen tablespoons or 113g, per loaf. one cup of coconut oil, a splash more. one cup maple syrup and sometimes no white sugar or just a little sprinkle. At the end I cut into cubes topping each cube with a raspberry. Next step is three cups of flour. Fresh grated nutmeg, if you can. And four eggs, nice to add and whisk them one at a time until completely blended. This entire routine should feel laborous, and at times ridiculous. adjust the recipe as needed. one time I added apple juice from an apple and it came out well. I bake it at 375-380*f for a good forty five minutes to an hour, covered. I usually panic when nearly an hour passes and it looks doughy. I tell myself I'll burn it and save the kava grains for cereals and desserts. It seems to always rise fine though and is a regular cake which can be cut and held in squares.

As for heat destroying kavalactones, when I mix 180-190*f oil into the kava root, it cools a bit, some kava is still exposed to the heat.
I have taken the temperature inside the bread loaf and I am not sure that it was as hot as the oven. Moisture is present, indicating a cooler temperature than 375. I would believe if the entire cake were 375 throughout, it would be crisped.

Okay, so the salt kava I brewed traditional prep.It tasted funky. Like "This shouldn't be here."
It tasted like a shotgun wedding on the beach.
My belly seemed fine.

I have had success salting roots in the past to change flavor, such as a baked potato, salted and dried parsnip with olive oil, and salted garlic.

I did enjoy creating this brew. I do not know if I will try this again. I froze the rest of the salt water. Did I mention the roots are fantastic on their own? Borogu from KwK

Let me know if you have any information about salt water kava, I'm interested if you made it. Thank you.

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I tried to take off the cake recipe and save it for myself and almost lost my typings, so, you now have it as well. Bulaa

faldho

Kava Curious
Salt helps reduce bitter tastes. Some people put salt in their coffee for this reason.
Also when you drink a lot of liquid with diuretics your need salt, that's one reason why people crave junk food when they drink a lot of alcohol. So if you are drinking kava try to get a bit more salt in your diet too.

I had salt and sugar kava after a workout once to replace gatorade. It was pretty nasty but it works and also helps with muscle soreness :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Salt helps reduce bitter tastes. Some people put salt in their coffee for this reason.
Also when you drink a lot of liquid with diuretics your need salt, that's one reason why people crave junk food when they drink a lot of alcohol. So if you are drinking kava try to get a bit more salt in your diet too.

I had salt and sugar kava after a workout once to replace gatorade. It was pretty nasty but it works and also helps with muscle soreness :)
I was going to say exactly this. Salt can remove bitterness, and can work with really bitter kavas (along with coffee). The key is that it doesn't need to be a lot to be effective in reducing bitterness. In other words you don't have to salt it so much that it tastes salty. Personally I like the bitter taste....